DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

Arena announcement at GM 5 of the Cavs vs. Raptors: Stipe Miocic makes his first title defense against Alistair Overeem on 9/10 (UFC 203) at Quicken Loans Arena. First UFC show ever in Cleveland.

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

That'll be a fun fight that I think Stipe wins decisively.

I think now with Overeem fighting a bit more cautious, it is a bit of a funky matchup. If it's one thing I don't expect this iteration of Overeem to do is to run straight at Miocic. That's far from his style now. During his time in Strikeforce, Dream, or wherever else pre-UFC (the "Ubereem era"), he would approach fighters like they were job guys (most of them were) or like they had nothing for him. Then, he got that one fight with Brock where it was apparent quickly that Lesnar had very little left in the tank. He tried to do that with opponents after that, and there wasn't that same thing where people automatically wilted under his power. Now, he fights more reserved and puts things together slowly without forcing a whole lot. It makes for a slower fight, but that also makes it harder to get to his chin. I think it's harder to judge this fight because it's basically two fighters with powerful strikes who fought people who have looked flat out awful against them. You do in fact believe that they are both top 5 heavyweights afterwards, but you also think: how are these folks (their opponents) the cream of the crop at heavyweight? It's a rhetorical question, but I think it points to an opinion that counting out Overeem would be a bit premature even though we know all his faults. He could try to win the undisputed UFC Heavyweight title with body kicks and knees in the clinch and somehow succeed. Stranger shit has happened.

Absolutely, Reem's more conservative approach will make it a tougher fight, but Stipe's got great endurance to withstand the strikes from outside necessary to get on the inside and put Reem to sleep. I'm not saying Reem can't win, I just think it'll be a very difficult fight because Stipe isn't dumb either.

I think Miocic's most impressive fight was actually in that loss against JDS. He took so much damage but kept coming forward and landing hard. He didn't fade mentally, though he was exhausted. I don't think he'll be going anywhere against Overeem.

4 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Absolutely, Reem's more conservative approach will make it a tougher fight, but Stipe's got great endurance to withstand the strikes from outside necessary to get on the inside and put Reem to sleep. I'm not saying Reem can't win, I just think it'll be a very difficult fight because Stipe isn't dumb either.

I think Miocic's most impressive fight was actually in that loss against JDS. He took so much damage but kept coming forward and landing hard. He didn't fade. I don't think he'll be going anywhere against Overeem.

I was talking more about people in general because I think people still be under the illusion that fights leading to winning title are going to look exactly like fights as champion. That isn't the case a lot of the times unless it's someone utterly dominant. With heavyweights in the UFC, that hasn't been that one fighter. Maybe, it's Miocic. Maybe, it isn't. However, it should be clear that all his wins won't be first KOs where people are just getting smashed. I think if he beats Overeem and possibly wins in a rematch with JDS, then the road becomes much easier. However, if Cain stays healthy and gets to a title shot, that might be a very bad matchup if he doesn't touch Cain's chin early.

As far as his most impressive performances, I would agree with the JDS fight. I wasn't a big believer in Stipe up until that point. However, I think when it comes to comparing that performance to what Stipe might do with Overeem, I think it's a tougher sell for me. JDS was a boxer who got into a brawl with a boxer who is much better at brawling than him. I give Miocic a whole bunch of points for rising to the occasion, but JDS's footwork was downright amateurish. The same things that got him whooped in the last couple fights with Cain got him hammered against Stipe. I will say that fight and the fight with Hunt did show me that Stipe knows when to take his chances. I think what gave me pause about Werdum being a serviceable challenger to Cain is that when he was putting the screws to Browne in Orlando a couple years back, he was showboating when he should have been finishing him off. Miocic is the antithesis of that as he will allow you to present opportunities (ex. Werdum's idiotic run at him), but unlike Werdum, he can create his own offense and pressure you to do shit you don't want to do. He isn't scared of anyone's power, but he doesn't do foolish shit that with get him KO'd in under 25 seconds.  That's something that has kept him in the heavyweight picture after a disappointing showing against Struve and eventually got him the belt. Whether or not it allows him to keep it, we'll just have to see.

Miocic is a good boxer, but 'Reem is unbelievably sound technically.  It will all come down to conditioning and who gets hit the hardest first.  'Reem will want to use kicks to keep Stipe at range and Stipe will want to switch levels and keep 'Reem guessing so he can get in close.  Neither of these guys wants to find themselves on the ground.

Mike Bohn @MikeBohnMMA 16m16 minutes ago

Kid Yamamoto's UFC career: 5+ years with the promotion, four fights and five withdrawals from scheduled bouts due to injury. Zero wins.

Yes, Kid fell out of another fight. Joe Soto is replacing him against Chris Beal.

That has to be the longest tenure in UFC history without a win. It's been five years and three months (going on four).

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Alex Caceres is replacing BJ Penn against Cole Miller on UFC 199.

BRUCE LEEROY~! POWER OF THE GLOW~!  Finally copped a win after dropping three straight.

So is Raquel Pennington about to become a lot more famous because of this Johnny Depp Amber Heard deal?

Guest Edwin
2 hours ago, The Natural said:

[IMG]

I usually don't find this type of stuff funny, but it's good to actually see fighters get back at those who can't even do a single pushup who criticize them every once in a while.