DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

From Dana's appearances on Sportscenter and The Herd (moreso the Herd), it sounds like Conor McGregor will have to pick a new opponent for 202 if the Nate deal doesn't get worked out in time. Timing is becoming an issue as they're almost finished with 203, and they want to start working on the show after that.

Guest Edwin

I maybe alone, but that entire situation has been one of the most irritating things I've ever seen happen in the sport.

It's reaching Fedor to the UFC talk level of irritating.

11 minutes ago, grizzlyedwin said:

I maybe alone, but that entire situation has been one of the most irritating things I've ever seen happen in the sport.

It's reaching Fedor to the UFC talk level of irritating.

The Fedor to the UFC stuff may be back at the end of the month, so you're in luck.

so, i watched all of those "Where Are They Now?" episodes on Fight Pass yesterday. they were decent, but they are only 6-7 minutes long apiece. Was a bit disappointed. Why hype up this new "show" and you have less than 40 minutes of actual content? Also, i said this before, but the selection of guys wasn't great.

Hopefully a future season focuses on old timers. Kimo Leopoldo, Tank Abbott, Carlos Newton, Oleg Taktarov.

edit: also Karo Parisyan

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Newton is/was a part of the class action lawsuit. Yeah, I don't expect him to get an episode.

oh snap i forgot about that. yeah, i won't hold my breath waiting for an ep on him

I am at work right now so I can't create a thread yet to move all the posts, but please try to keep it confined to one thread instead of three. That will save me some time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Craig H said:

No problem.

In other news:

I don't mind PBC and find some of the fights to be really fun (I mean that's not hard when you have boxing on every goddamn channel), but they are swimming in circles. All those dates that guy posted in the Steve Kim retweet along with every date PBC has had for their broadcasts are time buys. They've blown through an incredible amount of money with very little to show for. They've tried to make folks like Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Shawn Porter, Deontay Wilder, and several others bonafide network TV stars so they can then transition to PPV. However, it just ain't happening for all the reasons I've explained since their inception.

On the UFC thing, everything depends on what the landscape looks like when UFC's contract with Fox ends. They want a ton of money, but it won't matter until whoever is interested can look at the outlook of the company. Being hot in 2016 doesn't mean shit if you're not hot whenever that contract ends. That's why it is important for the UFC to at least keep Fox cards interesting on par with high level Fight Night cards and/or mid-tier PPVs. The Fox shows haven't grown any in terms of ratings, but they have not had any type of steep decline. I think the one thing the current Fox deal has an advantage in is that there isn't programming that could outrank UFC on a couple channels and also you can establish that programming might air on any of those channels. I think the thing with ESPN is that one side might demand more shows on the mothership channel, which could reduce the chances of other shows being picked up if they're not quality and could end up moving a lot more content to Fight Pass. That's why Fight Pass was started in the first place when Fox turned some cards down. ESPN may be way more picky. Moreover, ESPN and ESPN2 might not want to abandon a lot of their programming now (especially the college stuff on Saturdays which goes on for the entire day on both coasts). If you thought some of the times and days for UFC cards on FS1 were funky, wait until they get on ESPN. 

I think the UFC is an asset they want to have, but are they willing sacrifice big time college games potentially and major, major advertising money for a hot, niche sport whose only similar competition they destroy in advertising buys is WWE (a company that only says it is a sport when it's advantageous to say that)? It would be crazy long-term.

In non-I have to move 50 posts to a single thread/create another thread to be pinned news, Rose Namajunas is fighting Karolina Kowalkiewicz on UFC 201. That's a pretty good fight on paper.

• Like 5

We’re six months into 2016 and unless I’m forgetting someone, Fighter of the Year so far is between Michael Bisping and Dominick Cruz.

Michael Bisping beat Anderson Silva in a great fight from UFC Fight Night: Silva vs. Bisping. Bisping is only the second man in UFC history to beat Anderson in the Octagon. Silva’s not what he was but he can still go. Luke Rockhold was scheduled to defend the UFC Middleweight Championship in a rematch against Chris Weidman at UFC 199 but Weidman pulled out due to injury. On 17 days notice Bisping took the fight, he lost to Rockhold by submission in their first fight. This was Michael’s first UFC title shot in all the time he’s fought in the UFC. At UFC 199: Rockhold vs. Bisping 2, Michael Bisping knocked Luke Rockhold out cold in the first round to become the new UFC Middleweight Champion, the first Briton to win a UFC title.

Dominick Cruz tears his ACL, the replacement didn’t take so he had to have it done again, then he goes and tears the ACL in his other knee. Dominick Cruz fought TJ Dillashaw for the UFC Bantamweight Championship, the title Cruz had to vacate at UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz. Dominick won a split decision to regain the UFC Bantamweight Championship in a fight people scored either for Cruz or Dillashaw. I gave it to Cruz. In his first defense, Cruz  retained against his rival, Urijah Faber from UFC 199: Rockhold vs.Bisping 2 by decision winning the trilogy 2-1. The greatest MMA comeback story ever. Dominick Cruz is so mentally tough.

Michael Bisping gets my vote.

Between Bisping, Cruz and Cormier, it seems 'taking a desk job' ((c) Urijah Faber) is a great way to prepare for a World Title victory. Aljamain Sterling next champion?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

In non-I have to move 50 posts to a single thread/create another thread to be pinned news, Rose Namajunas is fighting Karolina Kowalkiewicz on UFC 201. That's a pretty good fight on paper.

Awesome fight, could see that going either way.

17 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't mind PBC and find some of the fights to be really fun (I mean that's not hard when you have boxing on every goddamn channel), but they are swimming in circles. All those dates that guy posted in the Steve Kim retweet along with every date PBC has had for their broadcasts are time buys. They've blown through an incredible amount of money with very little to show for. They've tried to make folks like Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia, Adrien Broner, Shawn Porter, Deontay Wilder, and several others bonafide network TV stars so they can then transition to PPV. However, it just ain't happening for all the reasons I've explained since their inception.

On the UFC thing, everything depends on what the landscape looks like when UFC's contract with Fox ends. They want a ton of money, but it won't matter until whoever is interested can look at the outlook of the company. Being hot in 2016 doesn't mean shit if you're not hot whenever that contract ends. That's why it is important for the UFC to at least keep Fox cards interesting on par with high level Fight Night cards and/or mid-tier PPVs. The Fox shows haven't grown any in terms of ratings, but they have not had any type of steep decline. I think the one thing the current Fox deal has an advantage in is that there isn't programming that could outrank UFC on a couple channels and also you can establish that programming might air on any of those channels. I think the thing with ESPN is that one side might demand more shows on the mothership channel, which could reduce the chances of other shows being picked up if they're not quality and could end up moving a lot more content to Fight Pass. That's why Fight Pass was started in the first place when Fox turned some cards down. ESPN may be way more picky. Moreover, ESPN and ESPN2 might not want to abandon a lot of their programming now (especially the college stuff on Saturdays which goes on for the entire day on both coasts). If you thought some of the times and days for UFC cards on FS1 were funky, wait until they get on ESPN. 

I think the UFC is an asset they want to have, but are they willing sacrifice big time college games potentially and major, major advertising money for a hot, niche sport whose only similar competition they destroy in advertising buys is WWE (a company that only says it is a sport when it's advantageous to say that)? It would be crazy long-term.

Kimbo death might play a role in how Viacom react to Bellator. Maybe they will try to get UFC back.

And don't forget the new owners................

Viacom owning Bellator gives them complete control. Same with the kickboxing, which is why Glory was gone.

Right now, Spike would be a step back in terms of exposure especially with Viacom struggling across the board.

16 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Come on featured prelims and not PPV bout. (crosses fingers).

Dan Henderson got 800k disclosed for the Lombard fight. Even with losing Kimbo, I don't think Bellator is willing to pay that much to Hendo on the books if he does decide to continue.

No doubt he would be their biggest star, but he clearly knows now he only has a handful of fights left.

3 hours ago, The Natural said:

I feel for Carlos Condit not winning the UFC Welterweight Championship against Robbie Lawler at UFC 195 and not getting the immediate rematch. Any news on Carlos since?

I haven't heard anything. So I guess by the lack of news that he is sticking to the retirement promise.

• Like 1