DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Event General MMA Talk Thread

Elsalvajeloco

I still think UFC 194 was the last time McGregor fights at 145, honestly. As I said in the event thread, we shall see how long before he changes his mind. So that featherweight return lasted a grand total of thirteen days.

Anyway, I think there is some real trepidation as to those fights anyway. Edgar deserves the fight, but what can he do to build it up? I don't think they want to risk Aldo having to stay healthy for 3 and a 1/2 months either. So it's those two options plus the potential issue of it falling apart over weight or going back to the most profitable fight in the history of not only the company but the sport in general.

They did 1.5 million with a week's worth of build. Imagine a whole media tour + the hype the week of the fight.

What part of that first fight made anyone think that McGregor can beat him?  Diaz with a full training camp smashes him worse in my eyes, he's a bigger stronger man, who adapts better and is more durable.  He's going to be more prepared, in better shape, still that tall, still that skilled, and still have that killer instinct.  Diaz is going to beat his ass.

What part of that first fight made anyone think that McGregor can beat him?  Diaz with a full training camp smashes him worse in my eyes, he's a bigger stronger man, who adapts better and is more durable.  He's going to be more prepared, in better shape, still that tall, still that skilled, and still have that killer instinct.  Diaz is going to beat his ass.

If the UFC was picking sides, they would not have made this fight.  Shit, that, the first fight, or the fight with RDA.

Now on McGregor's side, that's something you might want CC John Kavanagh or Owen Roddy on. 

Guest Edwin

It's going to be funny when the UFC tries to sell Conor as being completely prepared for this fight due to him having a full training camp to scout out and prepare for Nate Diaz all along.

This is good for Nate. He gets to bank in another big check which will most likely be bigger than his previous one and he gets a chance to become one of the biggest names in MMA by beating Conor twice.

Plus it's going to be hilarious seeing him in interviews all over the place.

To be fair, Conor and Nate talking is going to sell this fight like this last one did. That drowned out what the narrative of whatever they tried to do (that is if they try to do anything at all for the rematch). That did 1.5 million. They already have the revenue record. This is going to soundly crush the buyrate record IMO. So what do people need to be sold on exactly?

Keep in mind, last year we had a boxing match that did over 4 million buys without a single memorable moment in the hype leading up to it. Shit, the fact that two random reporter broads not getting into the venue overshadowed a lot of the other stuff that happened should tell you a lot about mega events.

McGregor lost the first match, and wants to prove it was a fluke and he's really better than Diaz. And he's the franchise, so he gets the opponents he wants.

He should have asked for it to be at 155 though. Hard as the cut is for him, it's harder for Diaz. Mayweather never fought anyone at a weight that favoured his opponent.

That sucks about JAG.

Livinha wants to replace her. It would suck for Invicta to lose their champ, but it would open the door for Grasso to fight for the vacant belt.

John Morgan @MMAjunkieJohn 3m3 minutes ago

Multiple sources telling me Thomas Almeida vs. Cody Garbrandt will headline May 29 show in Las Vegas.

It will be at the Mandalay Bay Events Center. That's a baller ass fight though.

$$$$$$$

Preposterous!

So what happens to the featherweight title now?  You can't just let him keep the title just because and put the rest of the division on hold?

How is this fight ultimately going to go differently than the first one?  It's not.

McGregor lost the first match, and wants to prove it was a fluke and he's really better than Diaz. And he's the franchise, so he gets the opponents he wants.

This isn't pro wrestling, and McGregor ain't Ric Flair.

$$$$$$$

Preposterous!

So what happens to the featherweight title now?  

Safely assuming it's Aldo-Edgar II for the full belt. Like I said in the UFC 196 event thread when peterien was asking about that, that's the next likely featherweight title fight IMO.

This isn't pro wrestling, and McGregor ain't Ric Flair.

Conor is at that point of his career where if he asked for a certain somebody, he is going to get that person regardless. You don't do the biggest fight in the history of the sport and then turn around and say you have no leverage. I am not sure that goes for anything. Boxing, pro wrestling, or whatever.

This goes especially for a rematch of said fight. That loss ultimately didn't mean shit outside the sporting sense. I mean Ali-Frazier I was the biggest fight ever in boxing at that point and Joe Frazier damn near decapitated Ali with left hooks in the first fight. They still had two more fights.

So if you want fighters to have that leverage and one absolutely gets that, it can't be on some conditional basis. That's not how that works. I mean it may not be the fighter everyone wants to have that leverage, but it's the right fighter to exercise that leverage especially if someone like Rousey won't do that. It helped Diaz get between $3.5-$4 million and going to get him another payday (if you want to believe that) in that range. If we're discussing how fighters should get paid more, this would be one of the routes to go about that.

If one loss strips you of leverage, then there are about 580 people that are in deep shit right now because everyone is vunerable to losses in MMA.

Keep in mind, VileOne, you did want them to take a financial loss by not having McGregor fight instead of making the most money they ever made in the history of doing shows on PPV. Not like a stretch of PPV events or ones with just non title fights at the top. Out of 196 shows on PPV or numbered events in 22 years plus, that was the most profitable in terms of PPV revenue.

So more revenue than UFC 100?  Not sure if I believe that, but then again, all the numbers are private anyway.

Running this fight over again several months still makes little sense to me.  It wasn't even a Fight of the Year Candidate.  McGregor clearly struggled moving up in weight and fighting a bigger guy.  So you run the same fight again at welterweight?  Why?  This is not a good match-up for McGregor with the way he fights...at all.

And yeah I wanted them to take a financial loss because I figured UFC 200'd be even bigger had they kept Dos Anjos vs. McGregor intact in a champion vs. champion fight for a title.  

And if Diaz is a big star, why not capitalize on that now and book him against a Dos Anjos or a Robbie Lawler?  UFC 200 is already going to be a big event just because it's UFC 200.  But I don't see how McGregor/Diaz II will make it that much bigger.

So more revenue than UFC 100?

And yeah I wanted them to take a financial loss 

Yes to the question. UFC 100 was $44.95 SD/$54.95 HD while UFC 196 was $49.95 SD/$59.95 HD. 

So if everyone ordered HD (even though people would be more likely to go for SD in 2009) for both PPVs before everyone got their cut, simple math would put UFC 100 at $88 million and UFC 196 at $90 million. UFC 100 would still have the buyrate number.

As for the other thing, thank God that they're not following your advice.

I am a fan of Conor and he needs to regain his aura that was lost from that fight. I just don't see how he beats Nate after watching the first fight. He was landing some great shots throughout the first round and a bit and they didn't seem to rock Nate all that much if at all. Cut him up nicely but whoop dee doo. He was also taking quite a few punches to get off his own. AND the fight is at 170 again. 

Guest Edwin

To be fair, Conor and Nate talking is going to sell this fight like this last one did. That drowned out what the narrative of whatever they tried to do (that is if they try to do anything at all for the rematch). That did 1.5 million. They already have the revenue record. This is going to soundly crush the buyrate record IMO. So what do people need to be sold on exactly?

Keep in mind, last year we had a boxing match that did over 4 million buys without a single memorable moment in the hype leading up to it. Shit, the fact that two random reporter broads not getting into the venue overshadowed a lot of the other stuff that happened should tell you a lot about mega events.

Not selling in that sense, because no matter what the fight will sell itself. I meant selling Conor has a chance, which he clearly doesn't.

Let me be clear, ultimately the UFC brass is going to do what they are going to do.  I will watch it of course.  

I'm not saying Diaz vs. McGregor was the wrong move.  From a fan and marketing standpoint that fight as the replacement made sense.  I'm just not super keen on this fight becoming a rematch.

And if McGregor isn't going to defend the featherweight title then he needs to relinquish it immediately.

Let me be clear, ultimately the UFC brass is going to do what they are going to do.  I will watch it of course.  

I'm not saying Diaz vs. McGregor was the wrong move.  From a fan and marketing standpoint that fight as the replacement made sense.  I'm just not super keen on this fight becoming a rematch.

And if McGregor isn't going to defend the featherweight title then he needs to relinquish it immediately.

agreed on all points.

this rematch boggles the mind.

• Like 1

Not selling in that sense, because no matter what the fight will sell itself. I meant selling Conor has a chance, which he clearly doesn't.

I wouldn't say he has no chance although I would favor Nate too all things considered. Nate did look pretty bad at the post-fight presser. Chins are great to have, but you never bet on them. I would bet on Nate's skills over just his ability to take a punch. The right punch on anyone is night, night.

As far as regaining his aura, I think people are placing too much on this thing about invincibility. I mean of the highest draws in MMA history (other than Rousey), all of them have suffered a humiliating defeat before they became that person. Whether it's GSP with the first Serra fight or Brock losing to Mir at UFC 81. Thirteen days after the fight? That would be like calling a presidential race after one primary. Keep in mind, Conor already lost twice before. Shit, they brought in one of the guys that beat him and openly publicized it. 

Even with Brock I think it's a weird thing. Brock was more a PPV draw than he was a guy people had to come out and see. Still, I think the fact they put that Overeem fight on Friday (which the UFC hadn't done in years) hurt that show rather than a bunch of delusional people thinking he would whoop Cain.

So other than that, invincibility is just an intangible aspect that hardcore fans are obsessed with. Yeah, I think it hurt someone like Cain because that's all he had. He wasn't that charismatic. He didn't magnetize a fanbase that the UFC really doesn't attract. He certainly wasn't the best promo guy in the sport like McGregor is. The thing is....Cain Velasquez wasn't that big of a draw to begin with if he was ever a draw. 

So for people like Rousey and McGregor to be insulated from that because they got something going on other than wins and losses is more of a blessing to MMA and shows where the UFC is at. Diaz vs. McGregor II (especially on UFC 200) is gonna to record business and that shouldn't be a point of contention. Even though they're probably going to a get a big TV contract next year, their endgame is still PPV and giant PPVs like this. They're looking to make a maximum profit and that's what they're doing. It's not anything beyond that.

But I do love the narrative that within 12-14 months, it went from the "This is bullshit! UFC is protecting McGregor!" alarm to "OH LAWDY JESUS! They have to protect McGregor." 

I love this sport.

• Like 1