DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: RELLIK (Johnny Stamboli)

RIPPA

In the early 2000's, I went to my first WWE House Show. I bought a program. One of my most distinct memories is that page having what I have dubbed the "Future of the Buisness" page. On it, it had Cena, just getting started in his rapper gimmick, Orton pre Evolution, Batista literally just off being Reverend D-Von's lackey, and Johnny Stamboli. 

Stamboli is a bit of a blind spot to me in the late 90's early 2000's in the sense that I look at his physical talent, I remember him being decently charismatic. He wasn't an amazing worker by any stretch, but I don't remember him being fucking terrible or anything. How was this dude never pushed? And I don't mean "Why wasn't he on top of the card", but why was highest point in the WWE being part of a lower card tag team? You'd think they'd have given him a shot at the IC title level or something.

I only have three active memories of him. The above posted ass-busting/urethra busting legdrop of idiocy, him press-slamming a lot of big guys and having a short run in AJPW as the NEW Great Muta which failed miserably. At least he did better than that one in New Japan way back in the Chyna days who tore up his knee before he even went anywhere and then retired.

Ah, early Muto AJPW, those were some odd days where you'd get matches like this. You'd swear that was WWE or something.

20 AJPW Summer Action Series - Day 1
2005/07/15 @ Korakuen Hall in Tokyo, Tokyo (Japan)
Jamal and Buchanan defeated Chuck Palumbo and Johnny Stamboli (13:21 minutes)

No, that was Troy Enders who was Omen on random Georgia crap. I think he was a Power Plant scrub at the same time as Sapp. He tore up his knee before his big NJPW match on some show and I don't think ever wrestled again.

In the early 2000's, I went to my first WWE House Show. I bought a program. One of my most distinct memories is that page having what I have dubbed the "Future of the Buisness" page. On it, it had Cena, just getting started in his rapper gimmick, Orton pre Evolution, Batista literally just off being Reverend D-Von's lackey, and Johnny Stamboli. 

Stamboli is a bit of a blind spot to me in the late 90's early 2000's in the sense that I look at his physical talent, I remember him being decently charismatic. He wasn't an amazing worker by any stretch, but I don't remember him being fucking terrible or anything. How was this dude never pushed? And I don't mean "Why wasn't he on top of the card", but why was highest point in the WWE being part of a lower card tag team? You'd think they'd have given him a shot at the IC title level or something.

xzRVsiS.jpg

• Like 2