DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: AYAKO HAMADA

RIPPA

HEY!

I totally forgot I reviewed this

SARA DEL RAY/MADISON EAGLES vs. AYUMI KURIHARA/AYAKO HAMADA – SHIMMER (October 2, 2011) – SHIMMER TAG TEAM TITLES

This is off of SHIMMER Vol 43 DVD/Event/Hootenanny??? (I mean you would think I would know exactly how I want to phrase it but I am stupid.) If one recalls – in the last issue I stated that I wanted to make sure I checked out more Madison Eagles. So this is just an added bonus that she is teaming with Sara Del Ray – who, thankfully, seems to finally be getting some shine thanks to her work with NXT. Ayumi and Hamada are your tag champs and yet again I could make a comment about how HEY! REMEMBER WHEN TNA HAD HAMADA AND HAD NO FUCKING CLUE WHAT TO DO WITH HER???? But that was in the mid-Aughts and I could be making those same comments today just inserting half of New Japan’s roster so let us take a break from beating that horse. I am not as familiar with my Shimmer Titles as I probably should be but since Eagles is the Heavyweight Champ at the time of this match – ALL THE BELTS IN ONE MATCH! I don’t know why that makes me happy but it does. What also makes me happy is Del Ray and Eagles being amazing heels and freaking out as the crowd tries to through streamers into the ring for the champs. It really is the simple things. The match starts off fast with a brawl and then suddenly Ayumi is the cutest Ricky Morton you have ever seen. Del Ray and Eagles are fucking fabulous heels so this is all the 80s tag work you ever want to see. They do an amazing job of constantly taunting a frustrated Hamada while doing dastardly heel things. (Things that look especially good because Eagles is billed at 6’1” and I think that is close to legit so MONSTER HEEL~! Eagles also has a questionable back tattoo that I normally would mock but I am older and wiser and realize she would destroy me so we are moving on.) So Hamada finally gets the hot tag and what is awesome is that they tease that Del Ray and Eagles are able to cut it off but Hamada gets another run and suddenly we are knee deep in a 21st Century North American every LCO Title Defense Match that I am so super stoked for. I am amused that while there are dueling Octopus stretches and you think to yourself (if you are young and, if that is the case, I hate your youth) “Oh that is where AJ got it from”, I was thinking “AJ really needs to steal the tarantula-esqe armbar that Ayumi through on Eagles that looked like white-hot death.” God this is so so good. Why do you hate wrestling? Why do you hate vaginas? Why do you hate wrestling with vaginas? Wait… that so didn’t come out right. Y’all suck for not watching this. There that is better. I hate myself for needing almost three years to watch this.

I missed this thread while on vacation. I love Hamada. She's one of those wrestlers that does cool shit while making it look effortless. I also enjoyed her short-lived tag team with Awesome Kong a whole lot. Huge mark for that team. 

This was on the first Impact of the Monday Night Wars, Part II, with WWE playing the part of the UK and TNA playing the Falklands. I did stop flipping to watch the hell out of this, though.