DVDVR Message Board

The Gadgetry Thread

Got my OnePlus One, charging it now, but...

Could someone explain the Cyanogen OTA update rollout process? I know there's some rollout strategy thing having to do with  me just getting mine today, but with a months old update should that matter?

So if I were to just do the recovery mode update file to CM12...would I then have a OTA update for 12.1? Or...? This is confusing. But I like the phone and especially CM from the little I played with it so far.

So I'm looking for a headset for my PS4. I've been using that little wired earphone thing that it comes with but i want something like my old PS3 earpiece Bluetooth set. I'm aware that you cant use the PS3 headset with the PS4 (or any Bluetooth set for that matter) but does a wireless earpiece like headset exist? I've done much googling and aside from a few real low quality dodgy USB Bluetooth adapter sets that all seem to have crappy quality it doesn't seem to be a thing. All the wireless headsets are the massive headphone style. I don't want my game audio coming out of it, and i don't want to be deaf to the rest of the world, i just want a little in-ear microphone like the good ol' PS3 had.

Does this exist?

So I'm looking for a headset for my PS4. I've been using that little wired earphone thing that it comes with but i want something like my old PS3 earpiece Bluetooth set. I'm aware that you cant use the PS3 headset with the PS4 (or any Bluetooth set for that matter) but does a wireless earpiece like headset exist? I've done much googling and aside from a few real low quality dodgy USB Bluetooth adapter sets that all seem to have crappy quality it doesn't seem to be a thing. All the wireless headsets are the massive headphone style. I don't want my game audio coming out of it, and i don't want to be deaf to the rest of the world, i just want a little in-ear microphone like the good ol' PS3 had.

Does this exist?

I'm a little confused...if yu want a chat-only headset that keeps you aware of the outside world, why not use the official PS3 BlueTooth headset or th little gimmick that plugs into the controller?

He wants wireless and the ps3 one won't work on ps4.

Not sure Basara, I've never seen what you're after. Plenty of wired and wireless headsets but I've not seen any wireless earpiece chat only. I will say that having full headphones has a big benefit when playing PvP. You hear so much more.

I managed to find one that's exactly what I'm after, unfortunately from the reviews, it seems pretty crappy.

This

There are plenty of wired ones out there like that but I may as well just use the free one that comes with the PS4 since there's nothing technically wrong with it.

Am I just stuck in the past and it's all about giant, fake surround sound, earmuff, headsets now?

Well sort of. What I do is use a good pair of headphones that has good sound quality that I would and do use to listen to music with and then use a cable that has a mic on it. I actually found a cable that has a boom mic attached and use that when I'm gaming and swap cables when I'm just listening to music. So much better sound quality than any headphones that are sold "for gaming" which are also overpriced.

I just use the Playstation Gold headset with my PS4, which is fucking awesome, and for my PC, I have a Logitech G430. Both are of the over the ear sort, but they both provide such awesome sound quality that I don't mind. Also, I can use the Gold headset with my phone to listen to music or whatever if I just lounging around. I tried for the longest time to find something that would work well with both, but still give me virtual surround sound and decent voice chat capabilities and sadly the best solution is to have separate headsets, which I don't mind because they're both very comfortable.

I'm intrigued by this. I mean, not very, since I've already invested $150 in two headsets, but what are some good headphones out there that produce virtual surround sound and allow you to connect a mic into it? Not for nothing, but the Gold headset is really, really nice. I've had them on while watching a movie and the sound was great. Even better for gaming. And they're wireless. 

Also, in case anyone is shopping for a new phone, I'm selling my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for $390 on Swappa.

https://swappa.com/listing/SYY320/view

Once I figured out how to use it, it worked really well and it lead me to getting the Note 5. I'm including an extra screen protector and three cases with it. I should also add that this will only work with Sprint's network and while Swappa may note that it won't work with Ting, it indeed does since that's the carrier I was just with.

Enjoy it, Brian. I've had mine since the middle of March and I really like it. Sure, it's a whale, but it's just splendid. Also, with so many phones using the Snapdragon 808 with an actually lower GPU card, I don't really have phone envy.

On a slightly off topic note, I was thinking before about my dream smartphone. It's probably 5.7", has Motorola's software, radios and Turbo/Droid Maxx-equivalent battery, Samsung's camera, display and build quality and I guess that's it.

I'm intrigued by this. I mean, not very, since I've already invested $150 in two headsets, but what are some good headphones out there that produce virtual surround sound and allow you to connect a mic into it? Not for nothing, but the Gold headset is really, really nice. I've had them on while watching a movie and the sound was great. Even better for gaming. And they're wireless. 

Almost all good headphones have removable cables and will come with multiple cables including one with a mic.  I have a pair of Vmoda Vibe headphones which are just okay, not great that I got on a cyber Monday clearance last year and happened to be flipping through the papers it came with one day and it had accessories and among the accessories was a boom mic.  So the boom mic itself was $20 and I use it between three different headsets depending just on which ones are nearest to me at the time and it works great.  The normal cables that just have an inline mic on them work fine too but your voice quality for everyone else listening to you is so much better with the boom mic.  That's been my one complaint with that gold headset.  It's got an internal mic and when my buddy talks when we play online it just doesn't sound that great.  But the sound quality in your ear when wearing them is really good according to him too.  I put absolutely zero stock in virtual surround sound.  To me it means a jacked up price without overall improvement in sound quality.  You can get a great pair of over the ear headphones for $50 that have much better sound quality than a gaming headset that has virtual surround sound that costs $200 in my experience.  There's tons of great lists, reviews, cost comparisons, etc. on head-fi.org in the forums. 

I got an invite for the OnePlus Two, which I guess means I have 24 hours to decide if I want it. I just hate to leave the Verizon Network that has been so solid for me the last five or so years to go into the unknown.

I got an invite as well last night and I don't think I'm going to use it.  If I get a new phone right now it's just going to be for the "new phone" factor and the Two isn't different enough from the One for me to justify it.  Might get the Moto X or the Nexus depending on how reviews go. 

Can't tell if battery life is worse than my G3 or if I'm just stuck in that "ohmygodnewphonemustuseit" stage.

Otherwise, it and a touch faster (805 vs. 801 probably explains that) and the screen is so so so great. And huge.

Almost all good headphones have removable cables and will come with multiple cables including one with a mic.  I have a pair of Vmoda Vibe headphones which are just okay, not great that I got on a cyber Monday clearance last year and happened to be flipping through the papers it came with one day and it had accessories and among the accessories was a boom mic.  So the boom mic itself was $20 and I use it between three different headsets depending just on which ones are nearest to me at the time and it works great.  The normal cables that just have an inline mic on them work fine too but your voice quality for everyone else listening to you is so much better with the boom mic.  That's been my one complaint with that gold headset.  It's got an internal mic and when my buddy talks when we play online it just doesn't sound that great.  But the sound quality in your ear when wearing them is really good according to him too.  I put absolutely zero stock in virtual surround sound.  To me it means a jacked up price without overall improvement in sound quality.  You can get a great pair of over the ear headphones for $50 that have much better sound quality than a gaming headset that has virtual surround sound that costs $200 in my experience.  There's tons of great lists, reviews, cost comparisons, etc. on head-fi.org in the forums. 

Man, I read through one dude's thread on that forum that has like 2000+ pages on it. My eyes just totally glazed over trying to figure out what to buy. That guy who compiled that list of headphones and headsets seems to lean towards virtual surround over stereo, but then it seems like virtual surround is looked down on, unless they're referring to using an amp for virtual surround.

The other problem is that it looks insanely expensive. For any good set of headphones, you're looking at spending a minimum of $120, and then you have to buy a ModMic and even a pre-amp if you want virtual surround or to be able to connect to a PS4. Connecting to a PC is easier, since you would just use the line and mic in, but something that connects to USB is necessary for the PS4 from what I could tell.

It just seems like going the route of buying good headphones is way more expensive than just buying a gaming headset, even if the sound quality takes a hit. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong headphones, but of any sub $100 listed on that forum, there were various reasons for why the headphones wouldn't be good for gaming.

Actually, what about these?

http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-Crossfade-On-Ear-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B00I9UKKS0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Seems like they're good, but they're $100.

And shit, why am I shopping for headphones anyway? Dammit. This is what happens when someone takes medicine for ADHD while having some light OCD issues. You fixate on shit like this.