DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: RICH SWANN

RIPPA

Swann is a good enough worker but for me, he kinda falls into the malaise of movez for you flippy black dudes that are all over the indies.  IMO, ACH is a better Rich Swann than Rich Swann.

I am not sure whether to love or hate him naming his Side Package Piledriver the "Chicken Fried Driver" nor am I certain that there is any amount of money they could pay me to take that move.

If you know his background, which he openly talks about, he had a really rough youth. Yes, I know that sounds weird since he's still insanely young. On another note, he's a high-flyer that's afraid of heights and got the job in Dragon Gate specifically because of his goofy standing 450.

Also, this.

32EC2CAD-58A0-4A3E-A5CA-71C4851A977E-110

w/AR Fox vs. Unholy Alliance from 2CW '14

Rich Swann is probably among the best of those "flippy black dudes" because he comes off as someone who can be more than that. Also, I am always in favor of the wrestler who can bust his ass in a 7-15 minute sprint and give me something real good. Doesn't have the awe inspiring stuff that you come to expect from the style but puts together matches better than most of them as well. 

He's really small and as I said, afraid of heights, so you won't get ricochet high-flying type stuff from him. He's not AR Fox's goofy dying on everything self.

I have to back Swann, he's from my hometown.

He also gets points for teaming with Ricochet in PWG as The Inner City Machine Guns.  Once, they took the parody names a but further by insisting the announcer also refer to them as The (Martin Luther) Kings of Wrestling and D-Generation Malcolm X.  They had a pretty good match with ACH & AR Fox (The African American Wolves), sticking with the wrestling trend that all black guys in a company must team, feud, or both.

They apparently must also dance, but I don't think Ricochet and AR Fox have any rhythm at all. I can't speak for ACH outside miming basketball dribbling.