DVDVR Message Board

Country music

TimWresPowr

As if I didn't think Eric Church was already a god among men, he has released a new single. Very much sounds like he's looking to mobilize his fanbase into some type of revolution with this new one. And for those who didn't think Eric was rocking enough, he continues to rock this new one, more testosterone infused, high energy music! Check it out on iTunes & amazon. I will be downloading it tonight.

You know who deserves more recognition in country music?  Chris Young.  I've never been a "fan" of his really & not really sure I'd go out and buy any of his music (maybe a Greatest Hits) but he's had a fair amount of commercial success in recent years but doesn't seem to get nominated for awards & such.  So just saying that he probably should.  Yes he's kind of a "mid-card" act but I think he deserves a little more credit than he's gotten.

Is anyone else tired of a lot of newer country songs these days? It seems like all it takes to have a 'hit' record (or at least one that radio won't quit playing) is to have a soul-less tune about how great it is to be country & Southern and/or talking about drinking on a Friday night. I don't how else to explain it. But I think the staying power of these kind of artists shows when they aren't heard from again. lol

You know who deserves more recognition in country music?  Chris Young.  I've never been a "fan" of his really & not really sure I'd go out and buy any of his music (maybe a Greatest Hits) but he's had a fair amount of commercial success in recent years but doesn't seem to get nominated for awards & such.  So just saying that he probably should.  Yes he's kind of a "mid-card" act but I think he deserves a little more credit than he's gotten.

"Aww Nah" is probably the second most played song at the moment here in Arizona. Behind this:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When I was more heavily following modern wrestling I used to make a ranked list nearly every year of my 5-10 favorites to watch. Since I'm more heavily connected & following music these days I thought I'd make a list. As a first list it is what it is, but it will be interesting to compare in future years.

Factors here include not only the quality of the music itself but how much of an emotional connection I feel to the artist, whether it's having met them in the past or wishing to meet them. Also factoring in is how willing I am to spend money to go to their shows & how willing to travel I would be and how many times I'd like to see them live.

1-Sunny Sweeney
2-Eric Church
3-Miranda Lambert
4-Jaida Dreyer
5-Reckless Kelly
6-Sonia Leigh
7-Dierks Bentley
8-Luke Bryan
9-Matt Mason
10-Kacey Musgraves

So that's where my musical tastes lie at the moment, with a clear emphasis on who is "top of mind" for me currently as opposed to having a cache built up.  Hopefully this will get some people to check out some artists they might not be familiar with and we can compare notes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

February is a big CD release month for country, Eric Church and Dierks Bentley have new discs out.  SO excited for Eric's as it appears he's really looking to make a statement with this one and maybe kind of purposefully taking a different artistic route from caring about mainstream appeal.  Given his last CD was such an epic, it appears the pub around this one is kind of like a guy who knows he's "made it", has his loyal fans & sees himself as almost like a cult leader of these fans and is looking to mobilize us to shake things up with the establishment.  I've only heard 2 of the new songs so looking forward to hearing the rest.

Another note, if you aren't following Matt Mason, he's started doing regular shows on StageIt.  I've watched 2-3 of them in the past.  Last night he was doing an all-covers show which I missed.  Next week he's doing a "behind the music" kind of show telling the stories behind & playing the songs from the first EP he released after winning CMT Next Superstar.

• 2 months later...

So I'm English and don't know shit about country, but I was listening to The Handsome Family off the back of True Detective and then fell in love with Jay Munly. Can anyone hook me up with some more of this Southern Gothic/Death Country? I've looked at a few others guys and they aren't quite hitting the spot but I'm definitely looking for more.

A few recommendations on stuff I've picked up lately:

Josh Thompson "Turn It Up": good testosterone infused country music for guys, this very much reminds me of Jack Ingram before he turned pop fluffy... if you like the Eric Church types, this is closer to that end of the spectrum than the so-called "bro-country" popular on the airwaves

Danielle Bradbery: Danielle either won or did well on Team Blake on The Voice.  This leans a bit to the pop fluffy side but this girl has talent, "Heart Of Dixie" gets a lot of airplay so I wouldn't be surprised for Danielle to get some Best New Artist nominations, this isn't nearly as poppy as Carrie Underwood but vocally, it's the same style

Rachele Lynae: Mid-20s singer/songwriter who Jamie O'Neal (remember her?) discovered & produced.  This leans a bit to the pop side as well with mostly upbeat songs without a ton of deep storytelling or anything.  She is really talented & I like this style, hopefully this gets some sort of airplay/exposure as right now I get the impression the only people that know about her are online fans.  I was surprised this was even available in hard copy.

So I'm English and don't know shit about country, but I was listening to The Handsome Family off the back of True Detective and then fell in love with Jay Munly. Can anyone hook me up with some more of this Southern Gothic/Death Country? I've looked at a few others guys and they aren't quite hitting the spot but I'm definitely looking for more.

Check out Lindi Ortega.

• 2 weeks later...

Ragtime and country blues has always been a favorite thing of mine to play. So most country I know is the stuff that has a lot of country, blues, and folk overlay. Flatpickers usually. I like some stuff like Waylon Jennings that I probably never would have listened to if not for the decade album projects here.

Buster B. Jones guy has one live thumb

Favorite country song is Brass Buttons by Gram Parsons