DVDVR Message Board

Lucha Underground Discussion

Robert

You were all over tonight's episode. Fun show again though I wasn't a fan of them doing the ol' bait and switch on Puma talking. At least he did 100 flips and spins in about 90 seconds to make up for it. Mundo & Texano were on fire until the fuck finish. The payoff for the medallions was a bit weak and they played it up like it's this new concept while still taking a shot at the construct they ripped off.

It's like MITB but people can challenge for it, and when you use it the match is next week instead of someone popping up after someone is beat up and cashing it in immediately.

When that happens the medallions get redistributed and the process starts again.

One of my local indie promotions had something similar with a medallion as their combination of a secondary singles title and Money In The Bank privilege.  It had the caveat that if you used it for a title shot and didn't win the championship, you had to wait three shows before you could use it for that again.  The medal was only vacated if the holder won the title.

Of course, they ended up making things more complex by splitting it into THREE medals.  One was defended in standard matches, the second in submission matches, and the third in hardcore matches...and you had to win all three in order to use the MITB privilege.

Yeah, indie wrestling.

Is August 5th still 2 hours despite Ultima Lucha already starting next week? It looks like there are enough matches to fill 3 hours.

I just found out Bengala is Ricky Marvin. I had no idea. I saw Bengala pop up on NOAH cards at Purolove, but I didn't put one and one together. Now I have to pay more attention to his matches, he used to be pretty great ten years ago.

• Like 2

Ricky was really, really good. I didn't know that was him either.

And, yep, they said the August 5th show was still 2 hours despite Ultima Lucha starting next week.

Also, I feel cheated not watching WMAC Masters as a kid now. :(

The only question I have concerning the medallion/belt deal is how often are luchadores able to unify the medallions? Is this a once a season thing?

All he had said was when all seven were distributed they'd have the belt match.

We got censored this week. They overdubbed Johnny Puto with "Johnny Zero" chants from the iron man match.

Fenix was way more dead before and they changed it. After Mil beat him the Disciples carried him out of the arena like a crucifix. I was wondering how they'd explain him being alive and back, but since they never showed that and ended with him getting pinned, it doesn't matter really.

Dario explained it that the medallions could immediately start being on the line as soon as the title is cashed in. In theory, there could be many attempts if they just kept quickly giving out the medallions. 

In reality, at the speed Lucha Underground moves and given how long it take them to give the medallions out the first time, I would guess season 2 would see the belt cashed in no more than twice. Maybe they're starting to hand out the Medallions a third time by the end of that season.

I really want Fenix to be Dragon Azteca's man on the inside, missing the belt presentation because he was busy freeing Black Lotus while Dario Cueto was occupied in the ring, because everything's got to fit together.

• Like 1

Right, but they're at the mercy of waiting for the zany 7-person match to unify the medallions and there's the whole distribution process of the medallions prior to that. It took about half a season to get all 7 medallions sorted, so I'm guessing they speed up the process in the future now that the gimmick is known.

Careful comparing Lucha Underground to WMAC Masters. A certain blog might write up a post about how the internet rumors that LU dared get an idea from a past show while putting their own spin on it are untrue! :D

Why was Katrina wearing so much clothing yesterday? :(

I'm going to be very disappointed if Count Grits For Tits doesn't go the whole nine yards and sport fangs at UltimaLucha. Because it's the absolute least Pentagon Jr., can do for his master to yank out that cereal mascot vampire wannabe's fangs with pliers after he breaks his flabby arm.

Right, but they're at the mercy of waiting for the zany 7-person match to unify the medallions and there's the whole distribution process of the medallions prior to that. It took about half a season to get all 7 medallions sorted, so I'm guessing they speed up the process in the future now that the gimmick is known.

Right, but didn't they just give out 5 medals in 2 weeks, and have Sexy defend hers once?

The 37 episodes in 37 minutes highlight video is a fun look back at the season. It's not going to really catch you up if you don't know what's going on, but it will remind you of things you've forgotten (and maybe stuff that was set up quietly early.) 

It's also a nice stock ticker about how the season has gone for some people, as their profile raises or lowers as the season goes on.

(Also: Mariachi Loco has a nice superkick I've missed. Hope we get to see it again some day.)

Man I hope me going all yapapi tomorrow makes a highlight reel half as cool as that one.

The Cage/Mack match tomorrow night is gonna be so great to see on TV since I couldn't see a good portion of what they did since they fought everywhere.

They did a lot of cool shit right in front of us though.

Also we get Angelico in a big match. You should know what that means.

Official lineup this week:

Cage vs Mack in a Falls Count Anywhere fucking insane ass match

The Disciples of Death (with a cool new look) vs Son of Havoc, Angelico, and Ivelisse for the trios titles

Drago vs Babynuts in a Believers Backlash match where I whip someone so hard he leaves the promotion

• Like 5

The 37 episodes in 37 minutes highlight video is a fun look back at the season. It's not going to really catch you up if you don't know what's going on, but it will remind you of things you've forgotten (and maybe stuff that was set up quietly early.) 

It's also a nice stock ticker about how the season has gone for some people, as their profile raises or lowers as the season goes on.

(Also: Mariachi Loco has a nice superkick I've missed. Hope we get to see it again some day.)

This video is supoib. I hope LU has a blu-ray release, so I can go back and watch the earlier episodes that I've forgotten about.

As for the strap match, I don't know how the fuck they pulled that off legally, so I'm intrigued to say the least.

That is fucking insane. Did you really give 'er? As you said, FERNANDEZ could have straight mugged your ass on film. I mean, you could have been going for his back and he moves - ending with you strapping in the face or something awful like that. What's to stop him from treating you much like the Steiners treated early '90s enhancement guys in a fit of rage? So much could go wrong but they did it anyway. That's part of why I love this show so damned much. They just don't care and are like the anti-WWE in that regard.

Long live Lucha Underground.

See I think I smacked the shit out of him and am pretty sure I left a pretty nasty mark and possibly drew blood but I'm worried video tape will show me swinging like a wimp and everyone will laugh at me since I've been telling so many people to watch it.

One of the Last Real Heels totally ripped into him though.  Goddamn.

• Like 1