DVDVR Message Board

Horror Franchise Thread

Newb82

'Freddy's Nightmares' was amazing. It was randomly playing on Chiller one week, while I was on vacation in Maine, and I got hooked on it. I eventually saw the whole run, since Chiller trotted the show out once or twice a year, and I loved it. It's 'Tales From the Crypt', but with Freddy in the wrap-around's.

Horror Anthology shows bring me back to adolescence big time. The 'Tales From the Dark Side' theme scarred the crap out of me, especially if it came on while I was in the basement rec room all alone. I also remember always searching for Friday the 13th airings anytime a Friday the 13th came around. I've probably seen 'Jason Takes Manhattan' 20 times because of that.

Anthology shows are great for spotting old character actors.  And they really run all the way back.

Between THRILLER and ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS and THE TWILIGHT ZONE to NIGHT GALLERY and TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE to MONSTERS!, THE HITCHIKER, THE OUTER LIMITS, to FREDDY'S NIGHTMARES, MASTERS OF HORROR.

There was not a decade from the 50s up to today that didn't have one or two running, sort of in the cultural background.  They make great time capsules in a way.

• Like 1

JGTH:TFF and Jason X are both terrible movies, but Jason X is terrible in a fun way that also in it's own way stays true to the series.  Hell is just bad in a bad way that is bad.

Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes a Cruise Manhattan isn't bad because it's not in the woods, or because it's on a boat, or even because of how little it gives you of the fucking title location.  It's bad because it's fucking dull.  It's exploitation cinema that doesn't exploit anything.  No nudity, no good gore, no point.  However, in it's defense, it does have another strong contender for best kill in the franchise.

However however, my vote for best kill will always go to the sleeping bag murder in The New Blood.  Just so fucking viscous, plus the brilliant ad-libbed kick at the end.

Jason X is great dumb fun. Jason Goes To Hell I wanted to see so bad in the theater when I was a kid, loved it on video when I finally got it, didn't watch it for many years, bought it... and yeah fuck that movie. I still love the first 15 minutes or so though.

Manhattan suuuuuuuucks. Two good scenes, the face-exposure and the boxing death.

EDIT: The sleeping bag death was so good they put it back in Freddy vs. Jason and did it better!

EDIT: The sleeping bag death was so good they put it back in Freddy vs. Jason and did it better!

Huh?  Jason X and the remake both had sleeping-bag kills, but I don't remember any in FvJ.  Was it some tossed-off kill I've forgotten during the cornfield rave massacre?  

Part 8 is maybe the most frustrating one in the entire series, because the original script had it taking place entirely in New York.  They were gonna have Jason kill someone at all the most famous landmarks, and the climax would've come at the top of statue of liberty.  But Paramount decided that they didn't want to spend that much money, and so we got a shitty cargo boat which didn't look even remotely like a cruise ship.  

...whoa, epiphany.  They're remaking every-damn-thing now; why not specifically remake a particular installment in a franchise?  Tell me you wouldn't be posting "Shut up and take my money!" gifs for a REAL Jason Takes Manhattan, going back and doing it like it should've been done in the first place.  Hell, the finale's easy, the final girl just pays off some gang members to lure Jason to the top of the Empire State Building (during a thunderstorm at night, of course) and they Uzi the living shit out of Jason, but he's goddamn Jason and he kills all of them anyway but the final girl manages to throw him off the building, ALL the way down.  Imagine the wind banging Jason against the wall of the building again and again and again, like a cross between King Kong and the way Thor got killed in Cabin in the Woods.  You would have your "holy SHIT, there's NOTHING worse we can do to him than THAT!" comeuppance for Jason, but of course his body pulls a Michael Myers at the last second.  

I also do not recall a sleeping bag death in FvJ.  The one in Jason X definitely did not, imo, improve upon it, largely because it lacks the sheer, straight to the point brutality.

The sleeping bag campfire death in the remake was pretty damn grisly as well.

Lot to catch up on here. 

--Jason X is awesome!  Jason Goes to Hell is the worst movie in the franchise.  Personally, I prefer indestructible zombie Jason to later Jason.

--Freddy's Nightmares used to come on Fox after 21 Jump Street and I remember watching the shit out of it.

--I finally saw Hatchet 3 and holy shit it was amazing.

--I hate the Saw movies, but maybe I'm just old and loyal to what I grew up on.  Hate all the remakes out there, too.

You guys are right, the sleeping bag re-do was in Jason X not FvJ, was actually debating that to myself when I wrote it. Looking back at the scene I cracked up:

I think I can start planning my October out now considering I haven't seen any of the Hatchet films. Goddamn I wish I had Netflix...

There's something so 90s about Jason Goes to Hell.  It came out at a time when 80s slasher flicks were decidedly uncool, and so it was given an updated edge that was just terrible.  (See also: New Nightmare)  The only redeeming qualities are the aforementioned SWAT scene and the Freddy/Pinhead teaser at the end.  

I am completely blown away that people dislike Jason Goes to Hell this strongly.

As a movie it sucks.As a slasher sequel, it has a couple nice moments, but still sucks.I can appreciate trying to add something to the Jason mythos, but this doesn't add anything to it, it just pisses on it. Take your body-hopping and make an original movie out of it.The movie tries to force having memorable characters (Creighton Duke & Joey) instead of letting it happen organically.Homo-erotic shaving. Not only for being a dumb idea, but for being a dumb idea that Jason would never do.Cheating by having a posessed character talk, just for a cheap pointless swerve.Adam Marcus blaming the fans for not "getting" the movie in everything I've read or seen where he talks about it.
  • Like 1

Also, go back and watch the original F13.  Tell me that you can suspend disbelief enough to believe that Pamela Voorhees could possibly be a master of the dark arts.  Because holy hell can I not.

JGTH was the last F13 movie I saw other than the remake.  It took me a long time to even find a copy of it on dvd.  I had wanted to see it since I was 11 or 12.  I remember on the playground hearing about the Freddy teaser.  It just fucking sucked.

I love the first F13, but totally agreed on Pam Voorhees.  I'm a mark for all of them except JGTH.  And while I don't like the SPOILER in 5, I can't deny the amazing kills.  Manhattan is weak, as others have mentioned, but a few great kills and I love the idea that somehow Crystal Lake feeds into the Hudson River or the Atlantic Ocean or whatever.  

I'd rank them:

11. Jason Goes To Hell

10. Part 2

09. New Beginning (5)

08. Jason Takes Manhattan (8)

07. Freddy vs. Jason (loses points for having Jason scared of water.  So stupid.  And needed Hodder.  But amazing kills/massacres.)

06. Friday the 13th

05. Jason X

04. Part 3

03. New Blood (7)

02.  Jason Lives (6) 

01.  Final Chapter (4) (Feldman! Glover!)

Someone mentioned the big F13 book.  It is indeed amazing.

I'm way off the Part VI train.  I know that it's the beginning of supernatural Jason, so he doesn't have to follow any sort of rules.  But I hated that all of the sudden he's hiding in trees and jumping down on people like Rambo, or carrying around little throwing knives and hitting people with pinpoint precision.I get that it was the Post-RAMBO-II, MISSING IN ACTION, AMERICAN NINJA era.  But shit like that seems lame compared to what was initially scary about Jason.  He was a dumb, ignorant, giant, deformed freak who grabbed whatever rusty weapon he could find and slashed and pummeled wildly with it.  He wasn't a goddamned Navy Seal.That was also the one where they first abandoned the sweet orchestral scoring in favor of junky synth sounds and generic, non F13th-sounding music.

I don't mind Jason having a psychlogical fear of water. He drowned (or did he?) as a child, then got trapped in the lake in between JASON LIVES & THE NEW BLOOD.

Dude can be afraid and still go in when shit needs to be done. I'm sure there are people that have sky-dived despite being afraid of heights.

My rankings, I guess.

12. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday

11.  Friday the 13th Part 3-D

10. Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan

09. Friday the 13th (1980)

08. Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives

07. Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning

06. Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

05. Jason X

04. Friday the 13th (2009)

03. Friday the 13th The Final Chapter

02. Freddy Vs. Jason

01. Friday the 13th Part 2

• Like 1

The fear of water, and the "Freddy needs kids afraid of him to exist" things were both really bad in FvJ, but I forgive both because they needed SOMETHING to force the two universes together, and they needed some way to set-up the opposites of Freddy and Jason.

I'm way off the Part VI train.  I know that it's the beginning of supernatural Jason, so he doesn't have to follow any sort of rules.  But I hated that all of the sudden he's hiding in trees and jumping down on people like Rambo, or carrying around little throwing knives and hitting people with pinpoint precision.I get that it was the Post-RAMBO-II, MISSING IN ACTION, AMERICAN NINJA era.  But shit like that seems lame compared to what was initially scary about Jason.  He was a dumb, ignorant, giant, deformed freak who grabbed whatever rusty weapon he could find and slashed and pummeled wildly with it.  He wasn't a goddamned Navy Seal.That was also the one where they first abandoned the sweet orchestral scoring in favor of junky synth sounds and generic, non F13th-sounding music.

There's a big divide, I think, with Hodder/unstoppable Jason and early Jason.  I fall in with the former, but I see both sides to the argument.

Thing about the water in FvJ is, yeah, Jason did drown...but the motherfucker is ALWAYS IN THE WATER.  He LOVES killing people in the water.  The director just wanted to make Jason the underdog, so he gave him sympathetic baby blues and a fear of water.  Other than that, loved it.  And say what you will about how terrible my views on cinema are, but I'll NEVER forgive Raimi for not letting Campbell do the vs. Ash movie.  

I am surprised to see Fowler rank 2 so highly.  It's basically the first one but with Jason being for real instead of his mom and no Bacon.  My wife and I marathon at least three every Friday the 13th (for a good ten years, probably, back when we were just an on again/off again couple of assholes in college), and that one probably gets the least rotation behind JGTH.  I'll take a good long look at it during this next F13 in September and see if my mind's changed at all.