DVDVR Message Board

Horror Franchise Thread

Newb82

I agree that those aforementioned scenes in Halloween II were very good but if I'm honest..  I will watch anything with Danielle Harris in it. Rest of the movie was TRASH.

If you haven't seen it, she has a small role in URBAN LEGEND as the lead's roommate.That may be the only reason to watch it, unless you're MST3K'ing it.The second UL is ridiculously awful. I haven't see the 3rd.

I agree that those aforementioned scenes in Halloween II were very good but if I'm honest..  I will watch anything with Danielle Harris in it. Rest of the movie was TRASH.

She's a fantastic actress who is stuck doing b-movies for now and maybe for good.  Which is a blessing for B-movie fans and not a bad gig, especially if you've got the temperament for B-movie life, which involves cons and creepy fans which she seems to enjoy just fine.  She has been in some dreck, like this:

Posted Image

and is always so obviously miles above the material in every scene.

I marked the living hell out when she showed up on an episode of PSYCH and I kind of find myself rooting for her to get a big score in less schlocky fare.

She was both the best child actor of her generation, and grew up too be a good working actor.  I love Danielle Harris so much.

I have never seen Valentine.  I have heard nothing but bad things about it, and my tolerance for 90's post-Scream hip but tame slashers is pretty low, despite me owning all 4 Scream movies and all 3 I Know What You Did Last Summer abominations.

She was both the best child actor of her generation, and grew up too be a good working actor.  I love Danielle Harris so much.

I have never seen Valentine.  I have heard nothing but bad things about it, and my tolerance for 90's post-Scream hip but tame slashers is pretty low, despite me owning all 4 Scream movies and all 3 I Know What You Did Last Summer abominations.

Three????!!!!!!!!

googlegooglegoogle...ewwwwww.

Oh man, I say this with no jest.  I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer is, easily, the most enjoyable of the three.

It's not good, it's not smart, but at least it's bad and stupid in a fun way.

She was both the best child actor of her generation, and grew up too be a good working actor.  I love Danielle Harris so much. I have never seen Valentine.  I have heard nothing but bad things about it, and my tolerance for 90's post-Scream hip but tame slashers is pretty low, despite me owning all 4 Scream movies and all 3 I Know What You Did Last Summer abominations.

Fowler's post describes my general feelings on the recent discussion, although past the word "low" he's on his own.

I have a soft spot for the Elm Street series.  Being a kid when those were being released is probably why.  The Halloween and Friday the 13th franchises were great at the time too but they don't hold a candle to Elm Street because you can't escape sleep.  If the evil lurks in the dream world where there are no rules then you're fucked because you can't get away from sleep.  I always felt the Friday the 13th movies were a little off because they never made it so I could identify with or feel sorry for the victims.  You can't get away from a dude who only walks everywhere he goes? Then you deserve to get slashed. 

Other than that, my favorite style of horror films are ones that might be loosely based on true stories or are more believable. 

I'm actually going through a few of the major franchises that I haven't seen in years like Friday, Nightmare and Hellraiser.  I'm up to Hellraiser IV and the fourth film is far superior to the third film which people used to say was the last good Hellraiser film which I disagree with.

I think a franchise that's top to bottom really good is PHANTASM.  There's no real terrible film in it and they're all alot of fun and incredibly atmospheric.

The judges accept this answer. It is indeed as bad as you've heard, as it commits the most unpardonable sin for a horror (or any genre really) movie: it's boring as fuck. Toss in a ridiculous ending, and you've got one of the worst post-Scream slashers.

Jack Black as the Rastafarian pot dealer in I STILL KNOW may be the only case where I've actively rooted for a character to die.

Our theater audience erupted into applause when his character got his arm blown off by the auto-cannon in The Jackal.

I hope all you motherfuckers watch Holliston with all this Danielle Harris talk, or you're a bunch of fakes

I am obliged watch Holliston. Oderus Urungus was a character.  He may have been born in Canadia but Gwar is the 804's beloved bastard child.

Oh, yeah, and Danielle Harris is super cute or something.

I'm actually going through a few of the major franchises that I haven't seen in years like Friday, Nightmare and Hellraiser.  I'm up to Hellraiser IV and the fourth film is far superior to the third film which people used to say was the last good Hellraiser film which I disagree with.

I think a franchise that's top to bottom really good is PHANTASM.  There's no real terrible film in it and they're all alot of fun and incredibly atmospheric.

Hellraiser actually improves once it goes DTV. 5 is my favourite of the series with 6 being of comparable quality. 7 is a step back, but still interesting. 8 is atrocious, but hilariously so. I still need to see the remake, as it's apparently so atrocious as to be straight to DVD and basically disavowed by everyone involved with Hellraiser ever.

I wouldn't have heard of Holliston if I wasn't at a horror convention (Monsterpalooza in LA) and saw a panel for the show, which we went to because Oderus from Gwar was there.  The clips they showed were so great that me and my three friends became instant fans of the show right there.

I have like five different ways to watch it if you guys need it:

Hulu shows it for free.  Not Hulu plus.  Regular ass Hulu.

FearNet shows new episodes Tuesday Nights

FearNet on Demand shows them the next day

FearNet's webpage plays the episodes until the next one goes up.

Season One is available on DVD and Blu Ray.

It's the only show on TV that I watch week to week that isn't wrestling related.