DVDVR Message Board

Horror Franchise Thread

Newb82

Oh, and Saw III has a very clear viewpoint of "if it was you, you would also choose to let these people die" and that is such a morally wrong and incorrect statement that...  ugh, fuck that movie even harder.

Oh, and Saw III has a very clear viewpoint of "if it was you, you would also choose to let these people die" and that is such a morally wrong and incorrect statement that... ugh, fuck that movie even harder.

The main guy tries to save everyone (after taking a few moments to remind everyone that he's all angsty about it). He fails miserably, but he tries.The biggest failing is taking any character development he would have had, and flushing it down the toilet at the end to keep with the down endings motif the series had and, probably more importantly to them, leave something for IV (which is promptly ignored and never really comes into play).

Thinking about it more, I'm really curious as to how you came to that conclusion, because I don't see it at all.

The point from the "Jeff" plot seems to be "Yeah, revenge fantasies are nice and all, but unless you're a complete psycho (like say, Jigsaw), it's a lot fucking different when the person you're raging against is right there in front of you".

If Jeff truly wanted to live out his fantasy, to see everyone involved in the death of his son and the driver not getting punished enough suffer, he literally had to do nothing but watch. Once he was faced with seeing his rage potentially satiated, he realized that they were live human beings, not the Snidley Whiplash charicatures of evil he imagined them to be.

He burns up the last of his sons posessions to (temporarily) save the judge FFS.

Yeah. And I feel like he can't write females to save his life. Not that the ladies can't be skanky and say raunchy shit. They exist. But there's not like 40 of 'em in the same room.

Yeah. And I feel like he can't write females to save his life. Not that the ladies can't be skanky and say raunchy shit. They exist. But there's not like 40 of 'em in the same room.

The two best scenes he's ever directed were the two scenes in HALLOWEEN 2 where Daniell Harris, Brad Dourif, and Scout Taylor-Compton were just sitting around the kitchen table trying to be sort of normal, despite the fact that they are all basically wounded survivors of a horrible crime.

It reminded me of those great domestic scenes Spielberg used to direct in, like JAWS, and the openig scenes of E.T., where you have this voyeuristic sense of seeing real people behave normally while having some dread hanging over them.  Danielle Harris does such a great job in those scenes of projecting a kind of denial, pretending to be fine while we can see that she is clearly essentially a shut-in now afraid to leave her house.

It's too bad the rest of the movie blows bubonic penis.

HALLOWEEN 5 IS NOT A SOLID SEQUEL.  IT IS AN ABOMINATION FROM THE PITS OF HELL THAT GETS EVERY SINGLE THING WRONG EXCEPT ONE SCENE.

Fuck that movie.

Every time I watch it I root for Wendy Kaplan (Tina) so much.  She was given such a ridiculous job to do, having to carry most of the movie, in some scenes literally acting against a silent person...basically acting against a broomstick in her scenes with Michael, and against a mute child in her scenes with Danielle Harris, and against an inchoherent madman in her scenes with Pleasence.  And she to somehow be both the sloppy, hapless, clueless dimwit and the (accidental) heroine who is the only one who can protect the girl...and she has to fail, like her character is written to fail, but somenow keep us invested in any of what is happening.

That's a lot to put on a 20-year-old acting in like her third role.  Give her a break, man!

I used to read a siiiiiiiiiick black and white Indy press Elm St comic back around when 3 and 4 came out but it didnt last long.

They're doing a sweet Elm Street 4 screening in a couple of weeks. 25th anniversary. I'm old

How does everyone feel about the re-boots? I was pretty impressed by THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE and FRIDAY THE 13TH was a decent high-gloss representation of those. I liked the first new THE HILLS HAVE EYES, but I haven't seen the original to be able to compare the two. 

I haven't see the new versions, but the original THE HILLS HAVE EYES is messed up. Perhaps one of the most primitive-based movies I've seen, next to THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.  Wes Craven has a vivid imagination.

HALLOWEEN 5 IS NOT A SOLID SEQUEL.  IT IS AN ABOMINATION FROM THE PITS OF HELL THAT GETS EVERY SINGLE THING WRONG EXCEPT ONE SCENE. Fuck that movie.

Let me guess, you love the dopey cops.

No.  God fucking no.  Fuck the dopey cops and that god damn music they get and every fucking thing about them.  Fuck that movie.

The one good scene is Michal vs. Jamie in the old house. 

HALLOWEEN 5 IS NOT A SOLID SEQUEL.  IT IS AN ABOMINATION FROM THE PITS OF HELL THAT GETS EVERY SINGLE THING WRONG EXCEPT ONE SCENE.

Fuck that movie.

Every time I watch it I root for Wendy Kaplan (Tina) so much.  She was given such a ridiculous job to do, having to carry most of the movie, in some scenes literally acting against a silent person...basically acting against a broomstick in her scenes with Michael, and against a mute child in her scenes with Danielle Harris, and against an inchoherent madman in her scenes with Pleasence.  And she to somehow be both the sloppy, hapless, clueless dimwit and the (accidental) heroine who is the only one who can protect the girl...and she has to fail, like her character is written to fail, but somenow keep us invested in any of what is happening.

That's a lot to put on a 20-year-old acting in like her third role.  Give her a break, man!

All that may be true, but it doesn't prevent her from being one of the very few characters in a horror film I have ever actively rooted for the death of.  Holy fuck is she annoying.

Zombie's first Halloween movie is thoroughly mediocre.  His second is such a weird jumble of really good, interesting ideas (Especially Laurie dealing with PTSD) and such incredibly bad ideas (Everything involving the Myers family.)

EDIT: Also, in it's favor, Halloween 2 does get rid of the whole "cool kills, root for the villain" bullshit that makes slasher films so hard to defend.  The kills in that are just brutal and uncomfortable to watch, like they should be.

All that may be true, but it doesn't prevent her from being one of the very few characters in a horror film I have ever actively rooted for the death of.  Holy fuck is she annoying.

She is adorable and you are heartless:

Evidence.

Posted Image

Adorable, vulnerable and awesome

Posted Image

Heartless, pitiless, and vulgar

I confess, I love the Scream movies. Not because I think they're quality films or because they inspire that much genuine emotion from me, but I'm such a sucker for 90's teen actors that were all mid-late 20's when these films were made, the semi-patronizing nature of the producers, who must've thought "if we overload this piece of shit with every known young actor we can find. they won't even figure out this thing sucks a fat alpaca dick,"and the soundtrack. I was 13 in 1996, and this movie was the first "R" I saw in the theatre. I'd just had my big growth spurt, and was 6'3, 220. I didn't get ID'd. I took a ninth grader named Windi Blizzard. I shit you not. Was a good day.

The first SCREAM is a genuinely great movie. The opening scene with Drew Barrymoore is one of the best openers to a horror film ever (or any movie, for that matter).

Other great openers: the highway pileup from FD 2 and the bridge collapse from FD 5.

Note he uses pictures, and not actual film clips, otherwise everyone else would hate Tina the moment she started speaking.

From the 25 Years of Terror doc.  Wendy Kaplan horsing around with Danielle Harris during filming.  It gives one of those "embedding not allowed things" but click through and tell me, does Fowler have a heart?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5w1ddLmhAY

And is there anything more fun than young actors and filmmakers making a horror movie? Of all thei things I never did in my life, that's one of the ones I kind of feel wistful about.  The enthusiasm and creativity of first-time directors and starry-eyed actors getting their first big role seems to be a driving force in a lot of my favorite all time horror movies...from TCM to FRIGHT NIGHT to HALLOWEEN and EVIL DEAD and GINGER SNAPS and on and on.

It also helps that the low-quality footage looks like the opening scene in a found-footage horror movie on its own.

I think this might have been posted on the old board just before it went down.  A similar effect given how much Joss has blown up lately:

I don't think there is anything I love more than behind the scenes footage from horror films.

"Everyone has a heart...except for some people."

Guys, Everybody go watch HALLOWEEN 5: THE REVENGE OF MICHAEL MEYERS right now so you can come back and post about how Fowler is the worst and Tina is the best, okay!!!?????

I don't have to watch it.  If you say it and it goes against Fowler's mewlings, then I trust you.  Because classy guys like you use Bond Street.  Fowler's been using Brand X and shops the back alley of the fish packing market.  PU! *pinches nose*

I'm sure Fowler doesn't smell like Brand X or the back alley of the fish packing market.  He's clearly a Bod Man body spray fellow.