DVDVR Message Board

DC Comics omnibus thread

odessasteps

Damn those look like they may be fun. And all of them seem to be related to the post-Crisis/pre-Flashpoint universe. Now I'm wondering if Convergence isn't just meant to be a proper goodbye. Definitely will check out that Question issue.

I think it's "all the alternate worlds are captured by Brainiac and stuck in those glass bottles" but calling it "Under the dome" makes it sound like the tv show/book.

Basically, they get trapped and have to fight people from other universes.

Thanks.  I do remember something about Braniac bottling alternate worlds in the original press release, but "under the dome" didn't jog any memories. 

Kinda interested in some of the mini's mentioned in that article, if not the main book itself.  I'm guessing this won't have a big impact on nu-52 continuity, though (kinda doubt Lois' marriage and a super baby get re-introduced to current continuity).

http://www.newsarama.com/22755-dcs-convergence-week-two-kingdom-come-clashes-w-90s-superboy-supergirl-connor-hawke-more.html

So more interesting stuff coming out of Convergence, some interesting stuff like Steel and Gen 13 and Kingdom Come crossing over, all fresh stuff right? At the end of it we see Kyle Rayner is colliding with.....Parralax. c'mon we've already seen that many times!

Pax Americana is something else. I don't know yet if I loved or hated it, but I do know I want to hear Jeffrey Combs read Question's dialogue. And the 12+ rating is phenomenally inappropriate.

Yeah the artwork is amazing!  It's a great homage to Watchmen, but I couldn't quite see how it tied into the Multiversity narrative.  Loved the portrayal of Captain Atom also, especially him reading the comic book.

Pax Americana is something else. I don't know yet if I loved or hated it, but I do know I want to hear Jeffrey Combs read Question's dialogue. And the 12+ rating is phenomenally inappropriate.

It's a great homage to Watchmen,

I hope thats sarcasm. :)

• Like 1

Well it's certainly not on the level of Watchmen, but it's based on the Charlton characters that Watchmen was based on right?  And the artwork layout is clearly an homage to Dave Gibbons art in Watchmen.  It's actually an homage to an homage (so very Morrison).  So i'm not sure what you mean, what are your thoughts on it then?  What would you call it if not an homage?  A tribute?  Or is it the "great" part you are debating?

I havent had the chance to read it yet.

Everything i had read said it was a charlton homage, so when you said watchmen, i thought you were being sarcastic about the reference, like when people said having "love" and "hate" on your hands was a reference to Do the Right Thing and not Night of the Hunter.

Yeah I agree, an artistic response sounds more apt as the art is out of this world and stands on it's own two feet more than just an homage would.  I liked this review of the book that distinguishes a simple homage from this work.

http://comicbook.com/2014/11/19/pax-americana-1-is-the-best-single-issue-of-2014-review-/

"The issue will draw comparisons to Watchmen. It does not even attempt to hide its connections to the source material. The cover reveals a burning peace flag that leads into the opening panels of the story in the exact same manner of the blood flecked smiley face in Watchmen #1. Instead it revels in the inspiration that Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ seminal series provides them, celebrating the original work and constructing something new with the ideas and structures created in 1986. There is a significant distinction between a work that is simply homage and one that is inspired to create something new while standing on the shoulders of giants. Pax Americana is a clear example of the second case."

Quitely's art is pretty damn amazing to me!  Also check out Annihilator, Frazier Irving is totally killing it on that book as well!

i agree with this statement completely.

i *think* i liked it, but i'll have to read it again (and again and again) to make sure i even understand some of the finer points. 

beautiful artwork, tho.

• 2 weeks later...

So Didio hinted at where Convegence is headed and it's sounding remarkably like pre-52 is coming back just to "make the ultimate sacrifice so the nu-52 may live on."

Fuck that guy....seriously...