DVDVR Message Board

Your All Purpose Anime Thread

J.H.

Its official.

Akame ga Kill! is the Game of Thrones of Anime.

But holy shit these last couple episodes.  And I'm sad that its over next week.

EDIT: And I made a great call the past few weeks to watch Fairy Tail *AFTER* Akame ga Kill!

I really should do what you're doing and watch something more positive and light after Akame ga Kill. Is next week's episode really the finale?

Its official.

Akame ga Kill! is the Game of Thrones of Anime.

But holy shit these last couple episodes.  And I'm sad that its over next week.

EDIT: And I made a great call the past few weeks to watch Fairy Tail *AFTER* Akame ga Kill!

I really should do what you're doing and watch something more positive and light after Akame ga Kill. Is next week's episode really the finale?

Yeah, after I realized that AgK is working under GRRM Rules, I decided to move the week's Fairy Tail episode to afterwards, since there's only been like, 2-3 depressing FT episodes ever.  

Yeah, next week is the finale.  Its episode 24, which is normal nowadays for a 1 season run, its the self titled episode, and...

Its Akame vs. Esdeath, Akame looked to activate her Teigu's Super Mode, and shit, there's pretty much no one left after this week's Heroic moment of awesomeness.

And a quick glance shows that the magna only has a few chapters left itself.

I need to catch up my 2 eposides behind of Terra Formars, and I'm really holding off on Sword Art because they're running the Mother Rosario arc and I'm gonna need pick me up's after that finishes.

Almost to the end of the 3rd arc of FOTNS, just finished ep 76. It's funny because I know for the most part they're following the manga story line closely so this is a show that makes me wonder how far in advance the original creator planned things out. A lot of it seems like it was laid out way way in advance and has been building from the start but then there's other shit that just hilariously comes out of left field. This person is all of a sudden a rape victim with PTSD which they'd never shown signs of before or that person's long lost brother shows up that we'd never had mentioned before in the previous years this shows been taking place. Just total "WTF where'd that come from?" moments. 

Not really complaining because it's done well, more just something i've noticed along the way. At this point the show's pretty firmly in my all time classic list now which is something i'd have never exspected a few months ago.  

Translation: You've just gotten to/finished  the Juda/Mamiya/Rei Arc in FOTNS. Juda/Rei is probably one of the best done fights in the whole series and Rei coming off jobbing to Raoh means he has t oget a big win against Juda. You're heading into the big push with Ken and Ryuga before the epic push for the Ken/Raoh rematch. You've got like 30 episodes of FOTNS 1 to go and then its on to FOTNS 2. If you think how Buronson handles WTF ideas in part 1 is weird, part w2 ill have saying "AW FOR FUCK SAKE! REALLY?!?"

James

Just started the 4th arc so yeah they're building up to Ryuga now.

Around the end of the 2nd arc (or whenever it first looked like Ken & Raoh were going to initially have their big blow off) I actually thought that would have been the perfect way to end things and was wondering when / how they were going to manage to top things but they managed to. 

As a whole Rei's story from start to finish has been the easy highlight of the series so far though Souther has been the best villain. The man so tough Raoh had to join forces with Ken & Toki, another "how can they top this?" moment.

Starting to get a bit annoyed with Bat & Lin's presence in the show at this point and their insistance that Ken can't leave them behind anywhere no matter what danger he's going into. Not that I think they should disappear but there's been plenty of safe places they could stay while Ken's off fighting but they just keep tagging along and adding nothing. 

Also, even though he was the jobber of the lot and had the least redeaming qualities, i'm a little disapointed Jagi never gets brought up anymore when pretty much all of the other North & South star main players are getting post death props...

If you think how Buronson handles WTF ideas in part 1 is weird, part w2 ill have saying "AW FOR FUCK SAKE! REALLY?!?"

Just got to the reveal of the 6th South Star general. Even Vince Russo wouldn't have the balls for a swerve this ridiculous....

Why I hate Manga readers watching an Anime adaption.  If it alters story, yet does a good job with it, they still incessantly bitch about the manga being superior, and do it all over my Crunchyroll forums.

I say this because Akame ga Kill! wrapped up, rather nicely and I didn't mind, but they went in a different direction than the manga, and the manga readers are screaming up and down about it.

Now, I say this with the full disclosure that I wished that the guys who did Soul Eater stuck to the manga and kept it going, since the Anime end was blah.

Well, for me, I've tended to hate original endings based on how much first season FMA ended up differing from the manga.  It's a problem with so many shows being greenlit these days before the manga or the LNs come to a conclusion.  I tend to factor that a bit into what I watch these days.

Now, of course, if the original source is mediocre like Angelic Layer, for example, I have no problems with the anime veering off course.

Its odd, because like, SAO is following the LN's, and its fine.  Fairy Tail follows the manga, but veers off occasionally for its own arcs then come back to the manga.  But shows following the manga is why I stopped following manga.  Half the revelations in Attack on Titan this season and the next one are wrecked.  And I already know that the current arc of SAO is fucking depressing as hell.

One last note on FLIK's FOTNS/HnK viewing... Raoh's final quote is the bst final quote an antagonist ha in all of manga/anime!

James

Geez, JH, spoilers man, I still have 3 eps left to watch, I totally didn't know Raoh was going to be defeated in the end.....

So, since there's a new Fafner series in the upcoming season, I've decided to watch the original since I've never seen it before.

And, geez, I totally forgot that the character designer for Fafner is the same one who did the ones for SEED and SEED Destiny.  And the androgynous designs are even worse in Fafner!

Well, when you're a normal student, and then all of a sudden you're able to pilot a mass produced real-type mecha and use it to stop super robots which were previously shown to have no problems with taking out groups of other real-type mecha?  Yeah.  At least Kirito has prior experience going into the first SAO arc.

None of the characters you people are describing are actual Mary Sues.

Honestly I liked Inaho and Tatsuya. Competent leads are rather rare.

Well, when you're a normal student, and then all of a sudden you're able to pilot a mass produced real-type mecha and use it to stop super robots which were previously shown to have no problems with taking out groups of other real-type mecha?  Yeah.  At least Kirito has prior experience going into the first SAO arc.

Eh, he wasn't a normal student. None of them of were technically. They had been receiving military training in preparation of the eventual war for years.