DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: JINSEI SHINZAKI

RIPPA

What's the overall consensus on this guy?  It seems like "great highspots, but sometimes gets lazy & stalls too much" is what I've received in filtered-down form.  From my hazy memories of the Great Muta match in 96, that seemed spot-on; 10 minutes of stellar action eyedropped into thirty minutes of dead space, a match that actually begs for clipping.  I recall the ECW Heatwave 98 tag match with Hayabusa against RVD & Sabu being an energetic-but-messy affair.  

Is there some inside story on why the WWF brought him in? Of all the guys they could have used he seems like a random pick,

Details of his coming in are just as sparse as the details of his going out.

What WWE match was it where Shinzaki / Hakushi hit a diving headbutt where he was perfectly perpendicular to the jobber on the impact bump and destroyed the guy's mid-seection?

And as for picking the low hanging fruit of Shinzaki matches:

This is just speculation on my part but one would  assume that Tenryu might have recommended him since Tenryu had been in right before Shinzaki showed up (he had been in the two previous Rumbles). So the WWE could have said to Tenryu "Hey - we want a guy who can do X" and Tenryu gave them a name.

He worked the WWF tour in May 1994 in Japan and they liked his work so they brought him in a year later. It was always known he would come back though as he had a loyalty to Michinoku Pro.

Didn't he end up in a tag team with Barry Horowitz or some bullshit? Then left?

Complete with Horowitz trying to teach him about America

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x84ynz_hakushi-barry-vs-skip-rad_sport

Our own Alan uploaded this video

I can top this : In Your House : Seasons Beatings in Hershey, PA (the one with the surprisingly good HHH/Godwinn hog pen match) had Horowitz, Hakushi and Santa Claus going through the crowd during the pre-show.  Mind you, Santa would end up jumping Savio Vega and becoming Xanta Klaus later in the show.

Shinzaki is a guilty pleasure guy for me.  I love the gimmick, though he can tend to work like molasses going uphill in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...