DVDVR Message Board

TNA One Night Only: World Cup PPV Spoilers

TNA World Cup PPV to air in July

*Show begins with the team captains having a live draft to select their teams. The captains are Kurt Angle, Eric Young, Bobby Roode, and Ethan Carter III. Dixie allowed EC3 to be the fourth captain and he named Spud as his GM. The draft went as follows:

Team Angle: Kurt Angle, Mr. Anderson, Davey Richards, Madison Rayne, & Sanada

Team Roode: Bobby Roode, James Storm, Samuel Shaw, Kenny King, & Angelina Love

Team Young: Eric Young, Bully Ray, Gunner, Eddie Edwards, & ODB

Team EC3: Ethan Carter III, Magnus, Jessie Godderz, Gail Kim, & Robbie E

*Eddie Edwards def. James Storm via countering the Last Call into a rollup

*The BroMans (w/ DJ Z) def. Mr. Anderson & Sanada when Robbie pinned Anderson after DJ Z interfered

*Gail Kim def. Madison Rayne after Eat Defeat

*Eric Young def. Bobby Roode after the Piledriver

*Kurt Angle def. Magnus after the Angle Slam

*Angelina Love (w/ Velvet Sky) def. ODB after the Botox Injection. After the match, The Beautiful People tried to paper bag ODB but she fought them off and ended up kissing Earl Hebner.

*Ethan Carter III (w/ Rockstar Spud) def. Davey Richards after the One Percenter

*Bully Ray & Gunner def. Samuel Shaw & Kenny King when Gunner pinned Shaw after the Hangar 18.

Final tally:

Team Young: 3

Team EC3: 3

Team Angle: 1

Team Roode: 1

World Cup Finals: Team Eric Young def. Team Ethan Carter III in an elimination tag team match.

*ODB eliminated Gail Kim after the TKO

*Robbie eliminated ODB with a rollup

*BroMans eliminated Edwards after the Brodown

*Bully eliminated Jessie after a uranage

*Robbie eliminated Bully after cheating

*Gunner eliminated Robbie via Gun Rack submission

*Magnus eliminated Gunner with the Magnus Driver

*EC3 was eliminated via DQ after using a low blow on Young

*Young eliminated Magnus after the piledriver to win the World Cup

How is this a "world cup," exactly?

Bobby Roode, Angelina Love, Eric Young and Gail Kim are from Canada, Magnus is from England, Sanada is from Japan and the rest are from the United States so technically this is a "World Cup", but I understand your point.

Yeah, that doesn't mean anything.  'Tag Team Tournament' didn't air until earlier this year and was won by Team 3D of Aces & Eights.  And there's a Hardcore Justice that must have aired internationally but I don't think has aired domestically yet where Magnus is featured as World Champion.

As an aside the last three of these I watched, 'Tag Team Tournament', 'Hardcore Justice', and '#OldSchool' were a lot better from a production standpoint where the video packages were better focused and actually related to the matches they were preceding as opposed to some of these in the past where the packages were clearly just random filler.  Hardcore Justice was actually a pretty good show overall.  Borash and Tenay calling the action straight helped a lot.

Last year's teams were US, UK, International, and Aces & Eights.  I guess their clubhouse was some kind of sovereign nation.  Really should be no surprise that TNA's geography has gotten worse a year later.

Yeah, that doesn't mean anything. 'Tag Team Tournament' didn't air until earlier this year and was won by Team 3D of Aces & Eights. And there's a Hardcore Justice that must have aired internationally but I don't think has aired domestically yet where Magnus is featured as World Champion.

As an aside the last three of these I watched, 'Tag Team Tournament', 'Hardcore Justice', and '#OldSchool' were a lot better from a production standpoint where the video packages were better focused and actually related to the matches they were preceding as opposed to some of these in the past where the packages were clearly just random filler. Hardcore Justice was actually a pretty good show overall. Borash and Tenay calling the action straight helped a lot.

Last year's teams were US, UK, International, and Aces & Eights. I guess their clubhouse was some kind of sovereign nation. Really should be no surprise that TNA's geography has gotten worse a year later.

I could be wrong but I thought Aces & Eights basically said if they weren't part of it they would interfere with every match.

• 2 months later...

I was watching a bit of the TNA 2013 World Cup last night. Rockspar Stud (sic) vs Wes Brisco (the worst Spud match I've ever seen). Ivelisse vs Mickie James (was pretty good). Bad Influence vs Rob Terry & Doug Williams (was good). What a difference a year makes.

• 1 month later...