DVDVR Message Board

Yeah, when you have the whole catalog, you can cycle some of these repeats out. Not that I'm complaining! 

As I said in my Lucha Underground review I rented Rats years ago but never watched it. Since I absolutely love Mattei's Night of the Zombies (no matter how shitty it is), I'm sure I'll love this one. 

Whoever does the commercials for movies like this should consult wrestling companies on how to sell people onto something.  The commercials talk about what they have, why who's in it might matter, and big-name projects they were a part of.  I couldn't have given two shits about some of the movies if not for them explaining why seeing this matters.  I never heard of "Dolemite" and did pass up on it before.  All it took was one commercial explaining why this matters and I was beyond excited to catch the next airing.  Same for some kung fu movies on the Thursday block.  I recorded "Crippled Avengers" but had no interest in watching it.  Knowing it's tied to the Deadly Venom movie I'm now looking forward to it.  Amazing how the right promotion will make somebody interested.

And of course the excitement from you guys about an upcoming movie helps too.

On that note, why not post some trailers of these upcoming flicks? Here's your Giallo Marathon (yeah, Deathdream isn't a giallo film, but it's the best of the three): 

...and on a different note, here is the trailer for a far lesser endeavor airing tonight, but just as Italian

• Like 1

Rippa, Dean, if the board God forbid gets hacked to death, PLEASE find every way to save this thread.  Piranesi's quest for El Rey should never be forgotten.

Knowing Dish is testing it but not sending it out yet is the ultimate tease.  Hopefully it arrives soon.

• Like 1

RATS was the biggest piece of shit of all times and even though I'm well drunk, you should watch it way way drunker if at all. And Outland just came on at 11:15 PM CE saying it was edited. Bullshit, Rodriguez! If you don't turn up right tomorrow, I'm gonna be pissed.

The Black Cat was awesome. Sergio Salvati's cinematography (despite his obsession with eyes... always the eyes...) crushes anything Argento tried to do in Opera. Also, you can't turn down Patrick Magee in a starring role as a villain, and the scene where the woman burned to death in the upstairs room and FIRE CAME OUT OF HER MOUTH was both very troubling to me for personal reasons and very awesome to me since they had no budget to do something so realistic. 

Deathdream should be shown instead of American Sniper at every theater it's played in. 

• Like 1

Okay, I am dumb.  I completely void brained on the fact that Come Drink With Me is the origin story of the Golden Swallow, so the Thursday double feature / Pei-Pei Cheng tribute is doubly significant because Pei-Pei Cheng is fucking awesome and Chang Cheh's Golden Swallow is a sequel to Come Drink With Me.

Despite Golden Swallow being a sequel to CDWM, the real stories of the movie are Lieh Lo making his first appearance in an SB production and mother fucking Jimmy Wang Yu being a badass villain.

Unless they really fucked up, I just saw bare breasts on Opera at 3 PM. It would be really cool to be 12 years old and surfing the channels right now.

Nope, those were legit boobs. 

Rats was not nearly as terrifying and awesome at age 46 as it was at age 13.  I imagine that the taboo of watching a movie I wasn't supposed to watch and being up at 2AM had something to do with my early recollections.

El Rey will be going all spaghetti western this month.  The premiers of Texas, Adios and Django will be fucking huge!

Deathdream could to be shown in present day theaters and it would still be socially relevant.  It is totally timeless.

And I expected Black Cat to be better to Opera since most of the time the giallo pecking order is Bava > Fulci > Argento with Suspiria being the exception to the rule.

I never considered the Three Mothers trilogy to be giallos because they're supernatural in origin. Maybe that's my own weird thing. In any case, I'd go Argento>Fulci as far as giallo goes because he made more of them and Tenebrae is the shit. 

EDIT: I went back to the first page and this made me laugh my ass off

Aww... this will be great until AAA USA debuts and then we will be sad.

Yeah, I was stoked to hear that Lucha would be in the regular programming until I heard it was AAA.  Damn.

So much for our predictions, huh?

I never considered the Three Mothers trilogy to be giallos because they're supernatural in origin. Maybe that's my own weird thing. In any case, I'd go Argento>Fulci as far as giallo goes because he made more of them and Tenebrae is the shit.

It is not a weird thing.  Giallo cinema is traditionally supposed to have some element of criminality to it, so the perpetrator is usually a flesh and blood protagonist like a serial killer and not a supernatural foe. 

I think that Argento's and Fulci's more popular films like Suspiria and Zombi 2 have perverted the true definition of giallo to the casual viewer.  Even putting The Black Cat in the giallo category is somewhat suspect since the villain has psychic powers.

EDIT: I went back to the first page and this made me laugh my ass off

Aww... this will be great until AAA USA debuts and then we will be sad.

Yeah, I was stoked to hear that Lucha would be in the regular programming until I heard it was AAA.  Damn.

So much for our predictions, huh?

Hey, we went with the odds and were pleasantly proved wrong.  VIVA, EL REY~!

• Like 1

Well, if you want to start, we have:

The Grand Duel with Lee Van Cleef

The Kid with the Golden Arm

after the Lucha Underground preview tonight

The Magnificent Ruffians

The Kid with the Golden Arm (presented by tha RZA)

Opium and the Kung-Fu Master

Come Drink With Me

Golden Swallow

for the crazy Shaw Bros. Thursday

Opium and the Kung-Fu Master

The Outfit 

Texas, Addio

The Master

on Friday

Lucha Underground replays

The Master

Coward Bastard

Django

Django, Kill... If You Live, Shoot!

Keoma

on Saturday

and in between I think all they're playing is Miami Vice and The Director's Chair. And informercials. So, a good time to start...

What I saw of The Grand Duel was pretty good, wish I hadn't missed the ending. I started to watch Kid with the Golden Arm but it was late and everything going on was too damn busy so I turned on Adult Swim and went to sleep. 

Django, Kill!... If You Live, Shoot! is apparently notorious as one of the most graphically violent spaghetti westerns ever. It was censored numerous ways in different countries; apparently Britain took out a half hour and Italy itself took out 22 minutes! So this should be a treat for all the gore lovers out there. The preview also says it has "gothic horror overtones". Huh. 

Keoma is going to be presented by its director, Enzo G. Castellari, who also directed The Inglorious Bastards, a ton of other spaghetti westerns, some cool politiotteschi films like Street Law and The Heroin Busters, two Escape from New York ripoffs, and was sued by Steven Spielberg when his film Great White came out for obvious reasons. Keoma is supposed to be the last of the great spaghetti westerns.

• Like 1

I

T

'

S

U

P

!

!

!

SD only like on Direct I think.  But FUUUUUUUUCKCKCKCKCKCKCKC  YEYEYEYEYEEYYYYYYAAYAEEAEAEEAEHOHHOHOOHHOHOHOHOHOHOHOH

#cancelHallmarkNetwork

Aw. The thread will never be the same now...

Naimark, that would be the dual features of Come Drink With Me and Golden Swallow, the latter according to JT being a remake of the former, both starring the same gal. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Come_Drink_with_Me

EDIT: Whoops. From J.T.:

Okay, I am dumb.  I completely void brained on the fact that Come Drink With Me is the origin story of the Golden Swallow, so the Thursday double feature / Pei-Pei Cheng tribute is doubly significant because Pei-Pei Cheng is fucking awesome and Chang Cheh's Golden Swallow is a sequel to Come Drink With Me.

Despite Golden Swallow being a sequel to CDWM, the real stories of the movie are Lieh Lo making his first appearance in an SB production and mother fucking Jimmy Wang Yu being a badass villain.