DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLER OF THE DAY: HERNANDEZ

RIPPA

I would have tons of crap to say about Hercules Hernandez.

As for the other guy.

I saw him do this move in ROH ten years ago and it's one of the craziest moves I've ever seen live.

I don't really have anything else to say.

Hernandez is like the power wrestler counterpoint to flippy indy dudes in that he seems way more concerned about whether he can do something rather than if he should.  At least the flipsters are more likely to break their own necks than Doug Williams'.

Also bad tattoos.

Also bad ring gear when he isn't being a Cholo.

• Like 1

For a while there, the LAX was the best thing in TNA not called The Beautiful People.

This is the full match featuring the Crackerjack spot.  Fuck me..

I loved Hernandez but Jesus, that guy was dangerous.  My hat goes off to Sonjay Dutt for being a regular and apparenly willing recipient of Hernandez's crazy crippling offense.

Shelly Martinez, loca chica > Shelly Martinez, vampire.

I've always kinda wanted to see his AJ match(es?) when he was doing the Iron Sheik gimmick.

He did an Iron Sheik gimmick?  I thought he did a Kurt Angle gimmick.

As for my memories of him, I remember seeing him back in the old Wildside days being amazed that this big guy did a freaking dive over the top rope.  Years later, I hear of stories of him being ripped for it backstage, but as a fan I thought it was awesome, this big powerful dude could also fly, but apparantly it wasn't well liked backstage.  He toned it down in subsequent shows though

I've always kinda wanted to see his AJ match(es?) when he was doing the Iron Sheik gimmick.

He did an Iron Sheik gimmick?  I thought he did a Kurt Angle gimmick.

The Angle thing was later.  The Double Iron Sheiks team was in '02 with a guy named Kasey Geyer (aka KC Thunder). 

My other favorite Hernandez thing was how TNA kept making him the focal point of that deal with AAA yet he since he couldn't speak Spanish (at least at the time) and yet TNA couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting over with the crowd

My other favorite Hernandez thing was how TNA kept making him the focal point of that deal with AAA yet he since he couldn't speak Spanish (at least at the time) and yet TNA couldn't figure out why he wasn't getting over with the crowd

They could've given Hernandez the Marco Corleone cue cards until he picked up a few phrases on his own.  I don't think that Jindrak knew one word of Spanish during his first few months in CMLL.

And what Goodear said.  Hernandez should've adopted the vato look from jump street.

He looks weird in plain ol tights.

Hernandez has 3 or 4 really cool but dangerous spots and nothing else. LAX was his peak and he never improved after that in any way, shape or form even though TNA would have pushed him to the moon if he had. He also seemingly still hasn't mastered Spanish like TNA wanted him to since about 2006.

His never-ending saga with Matt Morgan didn't seem to do him much good either.

Necro Butcher claims to have had a buncha epic matches with Hotstuff when they were both rookies in Texas (which I have not seen, but would like to... maybe just their best one, at least).  This possibly sheds light upon why Necro takes such godawful risks, because he learned from working against guy who could sometimes be a godawful risk.  Hernandez sorta has that Mike Awesome deal where he's this gigantic superathlete powerhouse who can do almost anything a wrestler ever needs to do, but sometimes he seemingly doesn't know his own freakish strength and sometimes he seems more concerned with making the spot look cool rather than being concerned with his opponent's safety.  It's not an every-night deal, he's not Vadering people on a regular basis, but every once in a while you'll see him throw some "good luck, brotha..." lawn-dart bullshit where there's no way the poor guy taking the bump is gonna land well.  

Necro Butcher claims to have had a buncha epic matches with Hotstuff when they were both rookies in Texas (which I have not seen, but would like to... maybe just their best one, at least). 

There is one on Youtube. It's the first thing you find, when you search for Hernandez.