DVDVR Message Board

Yeah, we are kinda the size of pre-WWI Germany.  Driving between any of the big cities takes hours and hours and hours.  

Death From Above, didya see this bit?  

I never played Deja Vu. But I assume if you take Deja Vu, The Uninvited, and Shadowgate, and put them all on a spaceship, the result would be what I imagine the movie Dark City would look like as a video game. Watching the movie and then reading a screenplay, I had the most bizarre urge to see it done as that style of puzzle/investigation game.

You wake up in a hotel room bathtub not knowing where you are. There's a DEAD BODY in the room. A FISH is in the bathtub with you. You also have a GUN and find a BUSINESS CARD. Nothing seems familiar. Have fun.

Dude... that IS Deja Vu.  You literally wake up in a bathroom with a gun, a business card (along with various other items), and no memory.  Isn't it such a neat feeling when you find out that something you've always wanted to exist?  

Even if you don't have an emulator, you can get it easily on those various websites that let you play NES games on Java in your browser.  

Here's one hint: you can punch the mugger with the gun and run him off, but he keeps coming back and it only works three times.  Also: if you ever run out of coins, just try and get yourself to the slot machines and there will always be one more coin sitting there.  Otherwise, trial-n-error yourself to death and have fun.  

I have wanted to build an arcade cabinet to play NES/SNES/Arcade games for close to ten years now.

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade.htm

I've had that page bookmarked forever. Of course, now that I'm closer to being able to have the money to throw at such a project I'm moving somewhere new with the wife every six months - so the plan is still on-hold.

Someday...

Insert Coins opened up in Minneapolis a little while ago.  I don't go out much to downtown Minneapolis any more -- too many college d-bags and thug wannabes during the weekend, plus drink prices are outrageous -- but I've been there a couple of times for happy hour and it's pretty cool, a nice selection of oldschool machines and decent drink prices.  It's certainly a lot better than the Gameworks that used to be in downtown, that place was a total ripoff, plus the good machines (the few that they had) never worked. http://insertcoinsmpls.com/

Never knew about that place! There is Rusty Quarters in Uptown MPLS : http://www.rqarcade.com/Not a bar, but just a straight up arcade and next door to awesome bowling alley/bar/theater Bryant Lake Bowl.

Bryant Lake Bowl actually used to have a pretty good arcade itself before it turned into a hipster bar.

Rusty Quarters has been trying to get a liquor license but the city isn't going for it.  They do have "club" nights sometimes with a DJ playing music.  I don't know how much longer they can afford to stay in that spot though.  I know they've run a few Kickstarters through their Facebook page so they can pay their lease.

Where in TX are you, Jingus? In Austin there's a little place called Recess on E 6th that doesn't appear to measure up to the place TV is talking about, but it has a dozen or so good machines and $2 Ziegenbock on draft.

Is Kung Fu Saloon still open in Austin? I haven't been there in a year or two, but I always liked that place. Not a huge selection of games, but they got NBA Jam, and sometimes, that's all I need.The best barcade I've ever been to is the Emporium in Chicago. Mostly 80s and 90s stuff, and even a few rarer machines. They even have some homebrew games there that weren't bad. Good beer selection too.

Yeah, KFS is still there but I haven't been. I wanted to try their "league play classic gaming" nights last winter but couldn't commit to being there every Monday. I'll make it there eventually, but until recently Recess was free so even though the games were in shit repair (when they turned off free play they started replacing sticks and monitors that had long needed it) I wasn't gonna be able to convince any of my friends to venture further west.

I got me a Super Everdrive. My SNES hasn't seen this much use in years. Even better is using all my 10+ year old emulator saves on the real deal. Don't have to do that tedious championship mode to have all the dudes unlocked on SFWPX Premium. I was so close to buying this a while ago.  Mostly just been playing Terranigma. 

I replaced the 72 pin and, no bullshit, my NES started on the very first fucking go. I was flabbergasted. I had tried the whole thing where you manually pull back each pin but that never worked. I can't even believe I was entertaining getting another toaster.

Not trying to rub it in but here is the latest list of available machines at my Barcade:

http://barcadebrooklyn.com/games/

Would be curious to know what similar establishments have. Barcade keeps their games in great shape too, though some games can't handle the high-volume of use anymore and only appear infrequently (720 is the one I most wish they'd return to active duty).

That only shows that I do not spend enough time in Brooklyn.  However, the Barcade in Philly has MOTHERFUCKIN TEMPEST!!!

Ah, TEMPEST. I remember being on vacation in North Dakota once, and our hotel had a TEMPEST machine in it's arcade. Some enterprising soul figured out that they could open the cabinet where the spinner was mounted, reach inside and manually trip the credit counter. We played TEMPEST for free all weekend. People from the front desk kept coming in and wondering why there was a continual knot of kids around the machine, and about 50 credits on it at all times. 8)

• 1 month later...

"More than 10 years after Namco announced the development of a Snake Plissken game, a trailer for it and other development material have appeared online. The game was to be released in 2005 with Kurt Russell providing Snake’s voice over and John Carpenter maybe creating the music."

http://talkbacker.com/movies/a-trailer-for-snake-plisskens-canned-videogame-first-escape-appears-online/id=6546

Due to personal budget reasons, I dropped off the video game wagon several years ago...most recent system I own is a Nintendo DS.  Nowadays, would still rather play classic games...if I see a Ms. Pac-Man machine, I'm probably putting in a few quarters.

Got really hooked on Zelda Classic for a while...play original Zelda on your computer and design custom quests.  Good times.