DVDVR Message Board

UPCOMING VIDEO GAME RELEASES (2014 & Beyond)

RIPPA

I am really stoked for Destiny, but I hope it doesn't totally go Everquest. I'm stoked by the mesh server / one world concept, but I'd still like some solo opportunities to occupy my time when friends aren't online.  If significant things can only be done by large groups, then that puts a damper on things.

Destiny:  Everyone Plays Together

So Playstation now has me thinking something. Why not create something that will stream any previous playstation game to your ps4 or even Bravia TV? I'd take a unit that streams ps1 & ps2 discs even. Call it Playstation Classic and sell it for a reasonable price point.

This dream machine of mine even possible?

So Playstation now has me thinking something. Why not create something that will stream any previous playstation game to your ps4 or even Bravia TV? I'd take a unit that streams ps1 & ps2 discs even. Call it Playstation Classic and sell it for a reasonable price point.

This dream machine of mine even possible?

Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't this exactly what Playstation Now will eventually do? Or do you mean a physical box that streams actual discs? Regardless, I'd guess that Playstation Now will be the only way to play PS games, aside from the classic consoles, for the foreseeable future.

so apparently i missed the memo a few weeks ago, but Diablo III's expansion "Reaper of Souls" has a release date of 3/25. time to clear the calendar.

Why not create something that will stream any previous playstation game to your ps4 or even Bravia TV? I'd take a unit that streams ps1 & ps2 discs even

Yeah I meant a box that's plays the physical discs. It's gotta be doable from a tech standpoint.

i believe they called that "PS2" and it's why i still have one.

I feel like one of the reasons the ps3 was so expensive was because of the backwards compatibility aspect. Not sure, and of course it could be cheaper now than 7 years ago.

It was.  The issue was the processor that the PS2 used was unique to the system, that also needed a Graphics Synthisiser to playback PS2 discs.  Basically, the initial PS3 release had 2 processors, which drove up the costs.  Second model removed the processor and emulated it through software.  Everything after removed backwards playback by removing the Graphics Snythisiser  to save more money/power/heat and instead supported older games through the PSN.  The PSX games are straight software emulated, while the PS2 rereleases are recoded to work with the PS3's chipset.  

The concept of microtransactions really doesn't bother me so long as it stays reeled in.  If a gamer wants to spend actual cash for the convenience of getting shiny loot that helps him progress faster than usual through a game, then that is his decision.  He are making a concious choice to use money to maximize your time investment.

However, I will have an issue if the trend turns to designing games with microtransactions in mind.  They should be an enhancement; not the sole way to make progress in a game.  I personally think that microtransactions cheapen the experience.  When everyone has kaboodles of in-game currency to burn, nothing becomes special anymore.

Oh, I'm not trying to start some Sony vs Microsoft crap, Craig.  I'm just saying that rabid brand loyalty is stupid. 

One rig being slightly more powerful graphically than the other is evened out by broadband issues that hamper hosting and I'm sorry but the naked eye doesn't really discern minute differences in HD quality on your television set.  The only person that can make optimum use of a PS4 will be the guy that can afford a 70" LED with theater speakers and a dedicated broadband line and that sure as shit isn't someone like me.

Its a mnemonic trap that gamers allow themselves to fall into in order to chump themselves into believing that they made the right choices.  If you're having fun with your friends, then you made the right choice.  Doesn't really matter what fucking console you own.  If your regular gaming buddies bought PS4's and you bought an XBone, then you fucked up.

I was primarily goofing, but yeah, I agree, brand loyalty is dumb and is fueled by cognitive dissonance. The problem is, with the price points being what they are, no one wants to be on the losing side. I think if you were someone who bought into a Sega CD, 32x, Saturn, and Dreamcast, or really, ANY of those systems, then you know what it's like to be on the losing side where you've seemingly made this terrible investment and you don't want that to happen again.

I'm more annoyed when Microsoft shits on it's consumers from a great height and they're all "YES YES GIVE US MORE WE LOVE YOU".

You make it sound like the issues with the VAIO battery (aka they fucking explode) never happened, or that there was never a Sony rootkit debacle, or that the PS2 slim redesign didn't screw customers that played MMO's like FF XI or Phantasy Star Online, or that the class action lawsuit resulting from the shitty PS2 optical drives never went down.

Sony has also actively gone after business like ElectricBirdLand that want to export native Japaneese PS hardware and software to Europe and the US.  If Sony had its way, Yakuza, Fire Pro Wrestling, and other native ports would never leave Japan.

All of the bullshit surrounding the PSP deserves its own chapter.  Want to use your thirty dollar PSP GO Dock and charge your PSP while you are playing it with your television?  That will be an additional thirty bucks for the "optional" power adaptor that it doesn't come with.  Want to synch a PS3 controller to your PSP GO without having to own a PS3? 

IMPOSSIBLE~! You need to synch it via a PS3 and you need Sony's USB cables to do so...  FOR A FUCKING WIRELESS CONTROLLER~! 

So no, Sony is not your friend either or it is slightly more of your friend if you are Japanese.

There aren't too many companies in the world that don't have a shitty side to them.  MS and Sony are no exceptions.  The Apple products rant could take days.

Why argue specs though when the $100 price difference is right there?

A $100 price difference due to a perpheral device being shipped along that I do not want, I might add.  The major reason I did not buy an XBone at launch.

• Like 1

Also PSN being hacked and making people think their credit card numbers may have been compromised...

You mean when Sony took days to respond with a meager,  "Okay.... we might have been hacked and some data may have been compromised" and then later confessed and apolotgized but had to be pressured to offer compensation.

Compensation that arrived in the form of free access to PSN!  A service still in the process of being shored up after being recently compromised..

What.. the.. fuck?

Potential theft by third party < Actual theft by Microsoft.

Now you are just talking out of your ass.

Sony admitted that all of that personal data was compromised. That PII wouldn't have been used to defraud Sony.  it would've been used to defraud the customers.  Customers like you that give Sony their business..  So no, potential theft by third party is just as bad if not worse. 

As an aside, did you change your credit card # after that?  I hope you did.

What did Microsoft steal, exactly?  Proprietary stuff from Apple maybe?

Proprietary Features aka Everyone steals from everyone, whether its right or not.

And where does Chinese corporate espionage of companies including Microsoft rank in this hierarchy of lesser and greater evils?  Theft is bad no matter the perp or the victim.

• Like 1

True, but I am not the guy on the low ground about to jump into the saber slash. I will still have my right arm and legs when we're back on topic.

Speaking of which, Destiny is going to be fucking awesome!

• Like 1

Will the Steam Box allow me to keep my PC in one room, but play the games via some kind of Sling method on the TV in my family room? That's really all I want.

This would be the best thing ever.  I'd start preferring PC over console again.

I thought that's what part of the big appeal of the Steam Box or that ridiculous controller was supposed to be. I remember when it was first announced that's what a lot of the talk revolved around, along with there also being a standalone box.

Why is no one discussing the STEAM BOX~! ?!?!?!?

I think the technology has potential. But as I've stated before, I think generation 1 is likely to be more of a test balloon than a rousing success. If there's a generation 2, I expect it to be a more interesting thing by then.

Also PSN being hacked and making people think their credit card numbers may have been compromised...

Potential theft by third party < Actual theft by Microsoft.

This might be the single dumbest, worst thought out thing you've ever said on these boards.

It is beyond stupid since his own personal and payment data was probably amongst the millions of other Sony customers' data that was stolen..