DVDVR Message Board

Purotopia Catch-All Thread 2014

Graham Crackers

But back in the day, they were a minor indy fed. I haven't been paying attention much to Japan since '06 or so. What happened? Is it guys like Ibushi that allowed them to make the jump to running Sumo Hall?

the first time they did it, it was really well hyped as a super underdog company trying one big show, & it worked out so well I guess sasaki was like.. "fuck it let's keep rolling"

The following names are being advertised for Inoki's North Korea shows next week:

Bob Sapp

Jerome Le Banner

Jon Andersen (Strongman)

Montanha Silva

Erik Hammer

Heddi Karaoui

Kazuyuki Fujita

Ultimo Dragon

Daichi Hashimoto

Shinichi Suzukawa

Atsushi Sawada

Crusher Kawaguchi

Shogun Okamoto

Taka Kunou

Hajime Ohara

Keisuke Okuda

Wang Bin

Meiko Satomura

Kyoko Kimura

Ray

Dash Chisako

The DDT Extreme Title match was probably the most bizarre thing to ever happen in Sumo Hall and with six DDT shows at the arena in the bag that’s saying something. The challenger Muscle Sakai produced a Powerpoint presentation to explain how the match was set up. For some reason the main rule was if the match lasted 10 minutes then comedy actor Ryota Yamazato, who was brought in as a guest, would be blown up with no questions asked. Not trusting Danshoku Dino to win in under 10 minutes, Yamazato attacked him backstage and took his place in the match, even stealing Dino’s wrestling gear to wear. The match began but instead of wrestling, Sakai and Yamazato took part in a quiz instead until Sakai attacked the actor. Dino came to the rescue and the advertised match finally went ahead. But time ran out and security dragged Yamazato out of the arena to face his destiny. Dino and Sakai continued to fight as time slowed down and we got to hear their inner monologues. That ended when Dino pinned Sakai with a School Boy. Meanwhile outside the building the security blew up Yamazato with Anus Dynamite and a tribute for him appeared on the screen. Thus ends one of the weirdest paragraphs I have ever typed out.

I am crying with laughter just picturing this. The SO is having a girls night out- I am so hitting Dailymotion for the show when I get home.

..........haven't visited this part of the forum or paid any attention to much Japan news in a long time but I just found out Takao freakin Omori & Joe Doring have been Triple Crown champions in the past few months. WTF??????????

8/30 IGF card in North Korea:

Daichi Hashimoto vs. Crusher Kawaguchi

Wang Bin vs. Keisuke Okuda

Ultimo Dragon vs. Hajime Ohara

Meiko Satomura & DASH Chisako vs. Kyoko Kimura & Ray

Bob Sapp & Jon Anderson vs. Atsushi Sawada & Shogun Okamoto

Montanha Silva vs. Taka Kunoh

Jermone Le Banner vs. Shinichi Suzukawa

Kazuyuki Fujita vs. Erik Hammer

Has anyone here heard of a wrestler named Ron Soo (that's what he is listed at on match lists).  I've found only match results with him listed as Ron Su.  He worked in Michinoku Pro back in 1998.  He wrestled almost EXACTLY like Hideki Nishida or Masato Yakushiji.  He actually looked better than Yaskushiji doing all those Rey Jr. spots from the mid-90s that blew our minds while simultaneously winning our hearts.

Has anyone here heard of a wrestler named Ron Soo (that's what he is listed at on match lists).  I've found only match results with him listed as Ron Su.  He worked in Michinoku Pro back in 1998.  He wrestled almost EXACTLY like Hideki Nishida or Masato Yakushiji.  He actually looked better than Yaskushiji doing all those Rey Jr. spots from the mid-90s that blew our minds while simultaneously winning our hearts.

Yeah, he was from either Singapore or Taiwan, I forget which. Did a lot on the Spring tour in '98, which unfortunately there isn't a ton of footage of compared to previous and later years. They were low on guys with Kaientai and Sasuke mostly gone so the remaining crew got to shine a lot more. Fun stuff.

While I found Great Muta/Sanada to be entertaining as they went for more of a sprint then a long rest hold match, what the fuck is Mutoh thinking doing three moonsaults in one match?  Sometimes I think wrestlers are too crazy for their own good.

Did you see "The Great Sanada" on TNA this week?

In other news, I found this from Tanahashi's book.

In 2006, I started using a new finisher, which is now known as High Fly Flow. The reason I started using this move has a lot to do with getting booed day in day out at the time. I knew I had to change the way I think. Critics are going to criticize me for whatever I do. Then I should care less about the critics and care more about spreading pro-wrestling to people who has never seen it before. “Wrestling that the first-timers can enjoy.” And when that theme was set in my mind, I thought “I need a finisher that leaves impact to the first timers. A move that you can imagine the pain.” A flying move will do. If a 220lbs man flies off from the top rope and throws his weight on the opponent with speed, it would be easier to imagine the “pain”. This comprehensibility was important. From a core fan’s perspective, the move might lack in impact compared to “head-first suplex” or “kicking or punching someone in the face”. But I set a high value on my finisher being “Painful move that connects to people”.

More can be read: https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/2c4ibo/the_essential_ace_of_the_universe_hiroshi/

Scroll to the bottom where it says Essential Extras: Excerpts from Tanahashi's book "Why Hiroshi Tanahashi was able to change NJPW" -Translated by yottsume-:

• Like 2

Went to a Dragon Gate show this past weekend. It was fun because the only reason I ever knew Hakata Star Lanes had wrestling shows was because I'd see Dragon Gate on local TV.

I was slightly disturbed though by the trend of guys slapping their thighs when they were doing drop kicks. Seemed excessive. I know people have done it before but it was happening enough to make me hope it doesn't get any worse.

Also, I wonder if they know that having Mochizuki slap Yosuke Santa Maria a bunch comes off as sort of dickish?

the thigh slapping in promotions like DG seems to have become part of the idiom, so to speak.. it's a thing in itself now, gone from a semi-concealed sound effect to part of the language of this particular kind of wrestling (I still love SUWA's definition ("social dance wrestling"); not to condemn the style or anything, it is what it is and I can enjoy it sometimes).. it's interesting as fuck how these things develop, and I don't like to talk about better or worse, as something so completely mundane like the irish whip must've looked pretty fucking stupid to some fans when it first started to proliferate, too.

I've been all over the blog where that High Fly Flow titbit from the last page came from. All of Yottsume's charitable translations in one place.

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/

Makabe: What were you like outside the ring, as a college student?

Tana: I used to work part time like the rest of college students. 

Makabe: What kind of work did you do?

Tana: I used to work at Seiyu.

Makabe: What?

Tana: You know, the supermarket. I was the cashier.

Makabe: You? A cashier? You were like "Welcome! Good evening sir." ?

Tana: Yeah, but it wasn't a busy store. So one day, I was doing push-ups under the cash register. I failed to notice the customer, and then he went to call another cashier.

Makabe: So what happened to you? 

Tana: I got fired on the spot.

Makabe: I knew it! You deserve it!

Tana: I should have squatted instead.

• Like 2

I've been all over the blog where that High Fly Flow titbit from the last page came from. All of Yottsume's charitable translations in one place.

http://yottsumepuroresu.blogspot.co.uk/

Makabe: What were you like outside the ring, as a college student?

Tana: I used to work part time like the rest of college students. 

Makabe: What kind of work did you do?

Tana: I used to work at Seiyu.

Makabe: What?

Tana: You know, the supermarket. I was the cashier.

Makabe: You? A cashier? You were like "Welcome! Good evening sir." ?

Tana: Yeah, but it wasn't a busy store. So one day, I was doing push-ups under the cash register. I failed to notice the customer, and then he went to call another cashier.

Makabe: So what happened to you? 

Tana: I got fired on the spot.

Makabe: I knew it! You deserve it!

Tana: I should have squatted instead.

That is brilliant