DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2024 - March/April 2024

RIPPA

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Tommy is in rare company - guys who drove in 100+ runs while hitting less than 10 homers. Pretty sure he and Paul Molitor are the only ones to do it since 1950. 

On 4/18/2024 at 8:43 AM, RIPPA said:

In what must have been Rob Manfred's wet dream - the Cleveland/Boston game took 1 hour, 49 minutes to complete

I missed most of this game, turned on the radio, and heard the last pitch.

23 minutes ago, Tabe said:

Tommy is in rare company - guys who drove in 100+ runs while hitting less than 10 homers. Pretty sure he and Paul Molitor are the only ones to do it since 1950. 

The under 10 filters out some "recent" ones as Johnny Damon in 2005 and Steve Finley in 1995 both did it with exactly 10 home runs

And for the record - Paul Molitor never did. He drove in 99 runs in 1996 on only 9 HRs.

Actually Herr never did it either - the most runs he drove in in a season was 97

Now I want to know what stat you were thinking of

I dunno what you're looking at. Paul Molitor had 113 RBI in 1996. Herr had 110 in 1985.

Are you looking at runs and not RBI? 

13 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yes because you said runs

If its RBIs then nevermind

"drove in 100+ runs" - that's RBI 🙂

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My brain only saw the word runs and its cold outside and there are wolves after me

As long as you still have the onion on your belt. . . .

38 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

My brain only saw the word runs and its cold outside and there are wolves after me

That's a lot of words for "I'm old." 

• Like 2

It's a shame you can't play under protest anymore and Umps can't get in trouble for anything.  Boone got tosses for absolutely nothing one batter into the game.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Raziel said:

It's a shame you can't play under protest anymore and Umps can't get in trouble for anything.  Boone got tosses for absolutely nothing one batter into the game.

Yeah - video evidence has shown that Boone got tossed for something a fan yelled and the Ump responded "I dont care who said it"

So that fan is living every caller to sports talk radio's fantasy

Hunter Wendelstedt after the game doubled down and basically said he never makes mistakes, what he heard was from a player but he can't eject players so he had to eject Boone. It's wild

Wendelstedt hadn't yet seen a replay of the episode when he spoke to a pool reporter after the game. He explained he thought the "cheap shot" came from a player at the far end of the Yankees' dugout.

"So instead of me being aggressive and walking down to the far end and trying to figure out who might have said it, I don't want to eject a ballplayer," said Wendelstedt, a major-league umpire since 1998. "We need to keep them in the game. That's what the fans pay to see. Aaron Boone runs the Yankees. He got ejected."

--------------------

"This isn't my first ejection," Wendelstedt said to the pool reporter. "In the entire of my career, I have never ejected a player or a manager for something a fan has said. I understand that's going to be part of a story or something like that because that's what Aaron was portraying. I heard something come from the end of the dugout, had nothing to do with his area. But he's the manager of the Yankees. So, he's the one that had to go."

Kay (yeah yeah, I know) broke it down that as far as anyone knows there is no such rule, that's a personal thing for Wendelstedt about "if I can't figure it out, toss the Manager".  There was no warning to shut down anyone else on the bench.   Shit, Wendelstedt has tossed players and bench coaches from the dugout himself.  Wendelstedt also hadn't seen teh video yet, but it's clear as day he tossed Boone after the fan barked.  

A lot of it has to do with how much Boone gets tossed and that umps go in looking for excuses to toss Boone.  That's one thing.  The bigger issue is how fucking thin-skinned Umps (and a lot of other officials) are and how quick to pull the trigger, and that THERES NO RECOURSE FROM TEAMS for bad calls and no accountability for Umps or most other sports officials for making bad calls.  This is all over NY sports, but what recourse is there for the Yankees?  Call Manfred?  He's not going to do anything, nor is the Umpire union.  Shit, Wendelstedt RUNS AN UMP SCHOOL.  Hernendez has the most inconsistant strike zone in Baseball and he's beloved in the Union so they're not going to toss him.  

We're probably in for a couple weeks of people getting seats above the team they don't link's Dugout and barking trying to get people tossed.

• Like 3

between the quick ejection and his strikezone (which was worse than his usual), Wendelstedt didn't seem to know why the Yankees were kicking off a series with a Monday day game and he called it like a getaway game

granted, Wendelstedt's crew was off over the weekend, so they could have ended up in NYC earlier than the Oakland A's

Orioles are sending Jackson Holliday back down to AAA

Not really surprising since he was hitting about as well as me

Anthony Rizzo becomes the 161st member of the 300 HR club

There is an outside chance Aaron Judge will get there this season (he would have to hit 37 more HRs this year)

Since Jose Abreu sucks now, after Judge, the next person to get there will probably be Mookie Betts (needs 42)

Rangers rookie Wyatt Langford hit an inside the park HR for his first career HR

He is the 4th player to do that as a Ranger (5th in franchise history)

If you are curious - he is the 553rd to do so since 1900 and the 14th since 2000

Someone actually got Manfred to look up from changing the rules for a second and realize his players look like shit out there:

Here's the absolute funniest part of the article:

The union also absolved Fanatics, the manufacturer of the uniform that has received the majority of public scorn for the uniform mess, saying the company "recognizes the vital importance of soliciting Player feedback, obtaining Player buy-in and not being afraid to have difficult conversations about jerseys or trading cards."

sure.

• Haha 1