DVDVR Message Board

X-Men '97 (Disney+ Series SPOILER THREAD)

Casey

this was awesome. Ep1 was a perfect primer to set up the series and status quo. it was like fitting into an old jacket. Ep2 was amazing. the trial. storm's going away letter. the cliffhanger. holy shit, i am 100% on board this train.

i would also be down with a continuation of Spider-Man TAS. besides ending the series on a cliffhanger, they could bridge the gap and morph the series into Spider-Man Unlimited (which i never quite figured out if it was supposed to be a continuation or not.)

• Like 4

Was never big on the Maddie story though I did enjoy what they generally did here. It did feel weird though to see Morph change into Ilyana/Magik since I think she was still a young girl in the 90s show when Colusss showed up. 

My biggest problems with Episode 3:

Spoiler

The X-Men have already met Forge and know who he is. So why not just go see Forge now?

Also, didn't the X-Men already encounter this virus before? Wasn't the "Not the Legacy Virus" plague in Season 2 the same basic thing? In season 2, Cable even called it the techno-virus. Also, Cable gave Wolverine the virus to help develop the antibodies to prevent it from spreading it to mutants. Wolverine's healing factor basically became the catalyst to curing the plague. Beast tested Wolverine's blood at the end of the episode, basically examining the antibodies, so now there's a cure to this plague.

Also, this technovirus was created and designed by APOCALYPSE, who Mr. Sinister was working for in Season 4. So is this not the same virus? is it a totally different virus? I feel like there are clarifications that need to be made here.

I enjoyed all the Goblin Queen material and the nightmare fuel/psychological horror visuals. We got a little bit more development of Morph as well, which I liked. 

Not sure when exactly the Jean/Madelyne switch happened. I can only assume it happened after Sinister and his cronies kidnapped Jean at the wedding in Season 4. 

Sort of sucks for Cyclops right now. But at least the way this version is done, he looks like less of an asshole scumbag.

Please can someone fill me in on the Goblin King? I'd rather get an answer from the DVDVR MB community than Google/Wikipedia. Is she more an X-Men character or part of the wider Marvel universe. As noted before, I've read few X-Men comic books? My familiarity with X-Men comes from the '90s cartoon as a kid and the X-Men Fox films. Thanks.

Edited by The Natural

4 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

My biggest problems with Episode 3:

Hide contents

The X-Men have already met Forge and know who he is. So why not just go see Forge now?

Also, didn't the X-Men already encounter this virus before? Wasn't the "Not the Legacy Virus" plague in Season 2 the same basic thing? In season 2, Cable even called it the techno-virus. Also, Cable gave Wolverine the virus to help develop the antibodies to prevent it from spreading it to mutants. Wolverine's healing factor basically became the catalyst to curing the plague. Beast tested Wolverine's blood at the end of the episode, basically examining the antibodies, so now there's a cure to this plague.

Also, this technovirus was created and designed by APOCALYPSE, who Mr. Sinister was working for in Season 4. So is this not the same virus? is it a totally different virus? I feel like there are clarifications that need to be made here.

Spoiler

The Forge thing was weird though I'm not sure all of the X-men met him. Was Storm in that episode?

They said they knew the virus, but were not going to be able to fix this strain in time. it was spreading too fast and outside of the intended control environment. Guessing whatever it was Logan's blood wasn't going to be enough, especially given it was designed specifically to kill. The death sentence was more because Scott and co. freed Nathan too soon.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Please can someone fill me in on the Goblin King? I'd rather get an answer from the DVDVR MB community than Google/Wikipedia. Is she more an X-Men character or part of the wider Marvel universe. As noted before, I've read few X-Men comic books? My familiarity with X-Men comes from the '90s cartoon as a kid and the X-Men Fox films. Thanks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madelyne_Pryor

Its Goblin Queen. 

11 minutes ago, The Natural said:

You mean the Goblin Queen? X-Men and mutants, but lately beyond X-Men. Dark Web.

6 hours ago, Eivion said:
  Hide contents

The Forge thing was weird though I'm not sure all of the X-men met him. Was Storm in that episode?

They said they knew the virus, but were not going to be able to fix this strain in time. it was spreading too fast and outside of the intended control environment. Guessing whatever it was Logan's blood wasn't going to be enough, especially given it was designed specifically to kill. The death sentence was more because Scott and co. freed Nathan too soon.

Yes. While all the X-Men didn't meet him in "Cold Comfort," Forge was there standing with them when he helped free them from the Phalanx in Season 5. Storm was in that episode and standing right next to Forge. I mean the important thing here is that Beast knows who he is. Beast was one of the people who sought Forge for assistance during the Phalanx incursion. 

OK re-watching the episode, you are correct, Beast does call it a variant, so I guess that's why. I assume Sinister got the same virus from Apocalypse and experimented with it. Though it still seems rather convenient they got these highly advanced healing antibodies from Wolverine to cure the techno plague in Season 2 and now it's fairly useless. Wolverine's blood also cured Leech when he was sick.

But all seems rather convenient that Bishop doesn't mention Forge by name. And Cyclops and Beast are like, "You know Forge? The leader of X-Factor?"

EDIT:

So in the epilogue Storm doesn't seem to recognize Forge at all, even though he saved all their lives during Phalanx incident. Minor oversight. Storm and Forge were there but they never interacted. Still, she should've had some recollection of him.

The continuity of this show has never been perfect.

Edited by TheVileOne

wouldn’t be a Marvel show/movie if it didn’t have plot holes and continuity errors.

I’m just enjoying it for what it is. I loved Jean versus Madelyne, and seeing Magik/Darkchylde. That shit was dope as all hell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

T

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

The Goblin King was Alex Summers' face meltingly hot alternate identity.

For those of you in the know, can I ask what's the differences in powers between Mystique and Morph? Morph has their powers too? If so, isn't he OP and Mystique kind of trash in comparison?

3 hours ago, Leonidas said:

For those of you in the know, can I ask what's the differences in powers between Mystique and Morph? Morph has their powers too? If so, isn't he OP and Mystique kind of trash in comparison?

Their powers are more or less the same although Mystique heals faster and can likely live longer via deaging herself (she is 100+ like Logan). Basically she is a lot more skilled, and Morph's abilities may just not be able to reach as far in general. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Yes. While all the X-Men didn't meet him in "Cold Comfort," Forge was there standing with them when he helped free them from the Phalanx in Season 5.

The continuity of this show has never been perfect.

we're all better off pretending s5 doesn't exist. the change in animation + voices (especially Gambit) makes it impossible for me to watch. that said, i do remember liking the Wolverine/Captain America episode.

8 hours ago, Leonidas said:

they're essentially the same. Morph never had a real run in the mainline comics, so their powers haven't really been explored. I expect that it will be a lot of vagueness in this series as well. Morph is a character that i loved in the initial series and was bummed that the comic version, Changeling, was basically a one-shot character from the first few issues back in the '60s and never appeared again. I'm just glad to see them again.

13 hours ago, Casey said:

wouldn’t be a Marvel show/movie if it didn’t have plot holes and continuity errors.

I’m just enjoying it for what it is. I loved Jean versus Madelyne, and seeing Magik/Darkchylde. That shit was dope as all hell.

agreed on all points. to paraphrase DEAN, X-Men '97 rules the motherfucking world.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Was not expecting

Spoiler

the Genoshan massacre so soon, if at all. That was pretty damn brutal. The team dynamics are going to change fast with that. Will be interesting to see how they follow up. It was good to see Kurt again. Guessing he will join the team after this.

It did feel weird seeing so many New Mutants and other young X-men in what is probably 5-10 years too early timeline wise with young Jubilee and Sunspot around. 

Edited by Eivion