DVDVR Message Board

X-Men '97 (Disney+ Series SPOILER THREAD)

Casey

If the show continues into Season 3, they should consider Larry Houston or the Lewalds to take over.  Either that or give Josh Fine a call. Fine was the co-creator and co-showrunner of Avengers: EMH. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

Josh Fine was also an executive producer and writer on Wolverine and the X-men as well. So he has experience working on an X-Men series.

The first three episodes were very good. The show's a lot more mature and a bit edgier than the original series. The action and fighting is more detailed, fast-paced, and elaborate. The animation takes a bit of getting used to but at least it's fairly consistent. The movement is relatively smooth and it lacks that kind of weird jankiness that makes it hard for me to get into What If.

Quite a few deep cuts with the comics, and they are clearly setting up big multi-episode, multi-season arcs.

I like how they recreated the original intro and outro. The new intro is very much like the original series but they sneak in some new character intro moments and new character beats and Easter eggs. The new outro is an updated version of this:

https://youtu.be/Xi8gp6SiSBg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Josh Fine was also an executive producer and writer on Wolverine and the X-men as well. So he has experience working on an X-Men series.

The first three episodes were very good. The show's a lot more mature and a bit edgier than the original series. The action and fighting is more detailed, fast-paced, and elaborate. The animation takes a bit of getting used to but at least it's fairly consistent. The movement is relatively smooth and it lacks that kind of weird jankiness that makes it hard for me to get into What If.

Quite a few deep cuts with the comics, and they are clearly setting up big multi-episode, multi-season arcs.

I like how they recreated the original intro and outro. The new intro is very much like the original series but they sneak in some new character intro moments and new character beats and Easter eggs. The new outro is an updated version of this:

https://youtu.be/Xi8gp6SiSBg

Cheers, Jeffrey.

• Like 1

Voice cast I copied from CBM:

Cal Dodd (Wolverine), Alison Sealy-Smith (Storm), George Buza (Beast), Adrian Hough (Nightcrawler), Lenore Zann (Rogue), and Chris Britton (Mister Sinister) will all reprise their X-Men: The Animated Series roles in X-Men '97.

However, Catherine Disher, the original Jean Grey, is now voicing Dr. Valerie Cooper.

Chris Potter, the original Gambit, is now playing Cable. Lawrence Bayne, the original Cable, is now playing X-Cutioner.

Ron Rubin, the original Morph, is now playing President Robert Edward Kelly. Alyson Court, the original Jubilee, will take on the role of Abscissa.

Ray Chase is the new Cyclops, and he'll be joined by Jennifer Hale as Jean Grey, AJ LoCascio as Gambit, Holly Chou as Jubilee, JP Karliak as Morph, Isaac Robinson-Smith as Bishop, Matthew Waterson as Magneto, Ross Marquand as Professor X, Giu Augustini as Sunspot, Gil Birmingham as Forge, and Eric Bauza as the Sentinels. 

---

Interesting seeing which of the originals are voicing the same character and those that aren't. Wonder how those choices came about? When I think of Wolverine, Rogue and Storm, it's the OG voices though I sometimes hear Hugh Jackman for Wolverine. Beast is a mixture of this show and Kelsey Grammer.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Given how time passes I'm liking that there's that much of the cast either doing the same roles or taking of different ones.  I can't imagine a completely different cast trying this but hope the new folks do good enough with it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Given how time passes I'm liking that there's that much of the cast either doing the same roles or taking of different ones.  I can't imagine a completely different cast trying this but hope the new folks do good enough with it.

Agreed.

Oh my, those two episodes were just delightful. This is fantastic. Episode 2 was probably the best one, but the first was great too. That X-Men versus Sentinels & Master Mold fight was awesome, the entire X-Ecutioner at the UN fight scene (Psylocke! Colossus! I love Morph)…. My favorite little bit was Jean going into labor, saying “he’s here” and Wolverine being so dumb and thick and saying, “Who’s here?! Apocalypse???” Hahahaha.

Rogue is still my favorite. The impending love triangle between Magneto, her and Gambit will be interesting.

That can’t be the end of Storm on this show, surely. That’s crazy if so.

I love this so much.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Magneto past relations with Rogue. Did that happen in the original series as I don't remember that?

It wasn’t in the show, but it happened several times in the 90s comics. They even had a kid together, Magnus.

4 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hopefully the popularity of X-Men '97 gets us Spider: The Animated Series and The Spectacular Spider-Man. I know TSSM ain't happening but let me dream damnit!

if they revive the 90s Spidey cartoon I’m gonna fucking faint of sheer nostalgia. Cancel that stupid MCU Spidey cartoon and give me TAS, damnit.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

It wasn’t in the show, but it happened several times in the 90s comics. They even had a kid together, Magnus.

if they revive the 90s Spidey cartoon I’m gonna fucking faint of sheer nostalgia. Cancel that stupid MCU Spidey cartoon and give me TAS, damnit.

Thank you. I've read very little X-Men comics.

With you in cancelling the Spider-Man MCU cartoon for a revival of Spider-Man: The Animated Series.

Caught the first two episodes and loved them. You can feel the labor of love put into them, especially with that reanimated opening redone music. They really aimed to keep the look and feel of the original series while updating the look and animation. Those fights scenes are better looking than anything we got in the old series. Loved the trial in episode 2. Was hoping they would avoid Maddie & Rogue/Magneto, but I'm curious to see how they adapt it as X-men and Spiderman both did a generally solid job of adapting comic stories without being too slavish to them from what I have read since and understand from others. Really digging the episode length and pacing so far. Hope they continue to take advantage of D+ and using more time when needed. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, J.H. said:

If wecget animated "Life Death" I'm gonna plotz!

James

I’m pretty sure Lifedeath is a two part event later in the season.