DVDVR Message Board

2024 Puroresu General Discussion

lostinube

IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship is retired, The IWGP Global Heavyweight Championship replaced it.

Spoiler

David Finlay is the first champion.

So NJPW doesn't have a red belt like AJPW and NOAH anymore.

Posted (edited)

Battle in the Valley card has been released:

Main show:

Okada vs Ospreay

Takagi vs Moxley

Kingston vs Kidd

Riddle/X vs ZSJ/Bad Dude Tito

Giulia vs Trish Adora (Adora challenged Giulia via video at one of the Stardom shows)

G.o.D. vs Connors/Coughlin

TJP vs Finlay

Mascara Dorado/Volador Jr vs Rocky/Soberano Jr

Jacob Fatu/Fred Rosser/Shota vs Lawlor/Jorel Nelson/Royce Isaacs

Kick-off Show:

Viva Van vs Stephanie Vaquer

Matt Vandagriff vs Goldy

Edited by lostinube
  • Like 2

New Beginning cards announced, unfortunately it looks like Riddle is getting a Japan run (at least one match) and not just STRONG.

But in much bigger more positive news...Zack vs Danielson rematch in Osaka on the 11th of Feb! Also Shota vs Narita on one of the Korakuen shows as well as Nemeth/Finlay and a J5G/LiJ singles series to end the tour in Sapporo

• Like 1

On 1/2/2024 at 11:33 AM, lostinube said:

Show just finished.

Reveal hidden contents

Ibushi beat Marafuji and it was just slow and plodding. Ibushi could barely get up for some moves. I really think he shouldn't be wrestling right now. Something is wrong.

Thankfully, rather than let him mumble into the mic postmatch, Jake Lee and Kaito Kiyomiya came out for closing promos. There was a staredown (hilariously, as Ibushi and Lee are in each other's faces, Kaito is just staring straight ahead until it is his turn).

In other matches, KENOH retained over Soya. Go Shiozaki came out to challenge KENOH. KENOH wants the match to be for the title versus Go's "I am NOAH" catchphrase.

Kaito is booked stronger than SANADA against H.O.T. The NOAH crowd are not burnt out on H.O.T. so there was copious booing.

The Great Sakuya debuted. She just debuted. There was nothing special about it.

Ulka Sasaki lost his debut to Sugiura.

Go beat Satoshi Kojima and debuted a new group called Team NOAH and no one cared.

I missed everything between that and the junior tag three way won by Tadasuke and Yo-Hey.

On 1/2/2024 at 12:17 PM, Evil Otto said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, it's painful to say, but Ibushi has "lost his mojo", or whatever you'd prefer to call it.  He was obviously tearing up before the match even started, and I wonder if it was the sad realization that he really didn't belong in the ring tonight.

I really hate to type that, but that's clearly how I saw it.  Hard to watch.  

On 1/2/2024 at 12:27 PM, lostinube said:
  Hide contents

Apparently he broke his ankle early in the match? Even before that, he looked out of it when he was coming to ring. This should have never been booked to happen.

Edit: This is apparently where it happened but him just trying to get up there is sad.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:59 PM, Salads said:
  Hide contents

He wasn't walking great when he arrived at the venue today. I'm remembering the 'tacks in his shoe' reason he gave for mobility issues in one of his AEW appearances, and the conflicting nature of reports on his health before his NJPW contract was up. Indecipherable to the end.

He's anti-surgery apparently. He may need to choose between that and wanting to wrestle in the future.

On 1/2/2024 at 4:14 PM, TheVileOne said:

Hide contents

https://hochi.news/articles/20240102-OHT1T51172.html?page=1

Hochi Sports says both of Ibushi's ankles are injured. I feel awful for Ibushi, but he should not be allowed back in the ring until he's 100 percent again, if that's even possible. It sounds like he returned to the ring too early to begin with.

On 1/2/2024 at 4:44 PM, hammerva said:
  Hide contents

Yeah when I hear the argument now about Ibushi being "washed" as the kids like to say these days,  if he is just going to continue to wrestle on horrible ankles instead of taking the 6 to 8 months that this is probably the end for him except for brief shining moments like his match against Joey Janela at Spring Break last year.  Unfortunately that is probably what will happen.  I mean if you are going to work 35 minutes on broken ankles than the concept of taking time off probably foreign to him. 

On 1/3/2024 at 3:09 PM, Raziel said:

Having Lee and Kiyomiya come down and talk shit to Kenoh after the title match would've been a better visual than what we ended with of totally broken Ibushi stumbling away checked out after Lee and Kiyomiya told him to get the fuck out then wait to cut their promo.

On 1/3/2024 at 11:18 PM, Curt McGirt said:

If Ibushi is doing that bad, is it possible that people just stop booking him out of his own personal welfare? 

This reminds me when Yamakawa showed up in BJW post-neckbreak and it was just sad, sad, sad.

Watched Kota Ibushi vs. Naomichi Marufuji from Pro Wrestling NOAH The New Year 2024. Oh, boy. Such a sad spectacle reminding me of DX vs. Brothers of Destruction at WWE Crown Jewel 2018. Kota Ibushi must have had a curse put on him since the G1 Climax 2021 Final to present day. Ibushi is shot and should not be wrestling at all. How the hell was he cleared? No wonder he apologised for the match on twitter. Felt bad for Marufuji.

Fighting Spirit Style is more about Strong Style than Inoki-ism.

AJPW player Ashino is the next guy to face Nakajima (c) for the Triple Crown. Ashino is a former W-1 guy; he was trained by Keiji Muto and Kazu Hayashi. Recommended to the business by Hase. 

Ashino's size is small. So it will be a bout of smaller men, height-wise. 

Some of the NOAH schedule in link

https://www.noah.co.jp/schedule/

Two more big shows added

One at Yokohama BUNTAI. The new building replaces the Yokohama Cultural Gymnasium, which closed down in 2020. The new building seats 5,000 fans. Stardom will also hold their own show here too this year.

Not to be confused with the Yokohama Budokan sub-arena which opened in 2020.

Another big show on Sat, July 13, 2024

Tokyo/Nippon Budokan show. 

Edited by Kang

I was very confused by this. The old Buntai closing seemed to be coordinated with the opening of Yokohama Budoukan which is just down the block. I hope that the new Buntai has more legroom for the 2F seats. I only heard of the new Buntai this week.

I had to search for info from Japanese sites about the new Buntai.

In NOAH news

Spoiler

Kenoh retained the GHC HW, and is now the owner of "I am NOAH" and is NOAH. He gave it back to the fans.

The next challenger for the GHC HW is El Hijo de Dr. Wagner Jr.

Rookie Daiji Ozawa will train in the UK.

I left out other info you can get from twitter, purolove or Japanese news sites.

Main takeaways from Battle in the Valley:

Mustafa Ali had a video challenging Hiromu Takahashi. Moxley challenged Naito. Both matches will happen at the Windy City Riot show.

Jeff Cobb was Riddle's partner, which was given away by showing Cobb's name instead of Riddle's when they were doing the chyron. They teased Riddle joining the United Empire (Cobb and Riddle were tag champs together in PWG).

I wouldn't mind that, but NOAH is serious with its old guys.

Another person leaving AJPW after January is Black Mensore. Yohei Nakajima debuted in 2008, in Okinawa Pro Wrestling. He joined AJPW in 2014.

I been following AJPW for decades now, and people leaving is nothing new. It stings less for me.

I just hope they can pad the AJPW roster with new members and new rookies over time.

I’d like to see them grab up guys like Ren Ayabe (freelance), Ayato Yoshida (2AW), Kodai Nozaki (Kyushu), and Towa Iwasaki (BURST). I’d expected Ayabe to join at the start of the year, but Ishikawa leaving probably put a damper on that.

They need juniors, too. Bring back Iwamoto and Tachibana full time, maybe pick up Musashi, who just left Michinoku Pro.

Any news from Naoya Nomura? Hoping he isn’t done after a second big injury. 

Nomura hasn't wrestled since a year.  Seems his twitter is deleted?

I dunno if it means anything but one of future series posters of AJPW only has 8 guys on it. http://www.all-japan.co.jp/wp-new/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/0220.jpg

Another option is just cram more freelancers on the shows.

I dunno when Nakajima will sign, seems he will. Maybe in this year or next year?  There has been irregular signings before in the past, like signing someone in Sept.

In positive news, Yuma Anzai inherited Misawa's facelock from Fuchi, Fuchi said something about Yuma Anzai leading AJPW's future.

Edited by Kang

His Twitter is still up, but not active. He don’t post during his previous injury, so that’s not saying much. He’s been out since March. It was like a quad tear or something fairly major as I recall.

• Like 1