DVDVR Message Board

2023-24 NCAA Basketball Thread

Pete

On 2/19/2024 at 12:00 PM, RIPPA said:

I was lucky when at American that I got to cover a couple of games Lefty coached when he was at James Madison and both JMU and AU were in the CAA together at that time

Those pressers must've been a hoot to cover. Did American ever do the coaches luncheons thing where the visiting school's coach had lunch with the alumni and told stories? At Bradley they still talk about Charlie Spoonhour and Richie Herrin yukking it up with everyone at those years ago.

On 2/20/2024 at 12:45 AM, sabremike said:

https://youtu.be/ZLEXVT6-FKM?si=rMXoU2PSqcjP2NYm

One of the wildest on court brawls of all time from tonight and the punchline (well the OTHER punchline): One of the teams is Incarnate Word (none of that "Turn the other cheek" bullshit here!).

4 players from each got suspended

3 of the 4 Texas A&M Commerce players got 3 games (the other got 1)

One Incarnate Word player got 3 games, the rest got 2 games

In other suspension news, Alabama's Mohamed Wague got one game for dropping an elbow on Florida's Alex Condon while the latter was on the floor. Check out the video - it was pretty vicious. 

Yeah it is one thing when one person bumps in to someone even if it was Caitlin Clark.   Kyle Filipowski of Duke basically had about 10 to 20 people swarm him and got hurt trying to minimize the damage.  He was completely trapped 

1 hour ago, Cobra Commander said:

I think we've just reached a new level for courtstorming controversies today

By "controversies" you mean "something anyone with an IQ higher than their shoe size knew was eventually going to happen" right?

Court storming is stupid and dangerous and needs to be stopped NOW.

• Like 1

also feels like the officials should get dinged a little bit (not as much as Wake will get dinged) for the courtrush starting before the game ended

an absurd number of technical free throws might be more impactful than asking schools with money to pay fines

2 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

also feels like the officials should get dinged a little bit (not as much as Wake will get dinged) for the courtrush starting before the game ended

an absurd number of technical free throws might be more impactful than asking schools with money to pay fines

Force them to play games behind closed doors.

ACC doesn't fine for courtstorming, which feels like one of those decisions they might look into, unless all the other sources of ACC drama consume all their time

I know there was a Gonzaga game a few weeks ago where the tossing of trash on the floor was to the point where if it wasn't done so late in the game, they should have taken the time to just eject the entire Student section

7 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I know there was a Gonzaga game a few weeks ago where the tossing of trash on the floor was to the point where if it wasn't done so late in the game, they should have taken the time to just eject the entire Student section

God, that was embarrassing.  Completely out of character for the Kennel but horrible nonetheless.  

If I were Filipowski, I would be suing Wake Forest.  I mean, the storming happened during the game.  

the Monday morning update on Filipowski was that his knee was sore, there wasn't any imaging done, and he's not practicing. So no news is good news in regards to things like him playing sometime soonish and also in regards to Wake not getting sued.

Duke's next game is against the godawful Louisville team, so Filipowski can just spend his week on the beach rehabbing his knee because Louisville isn't beating Duke at Duke.

UMass is going to the MAC in 2025-26 (as noted on the football forum). This might prove itself relevant to UMass basketball.

Also might see teams leave or join the Atlantic 10. There’s a few Catholic schools in the A10 that wish the Big East would call them.

With Delaware going from the CAA to Conference USA. The A10 might try luring a CAA school too.

39 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

With Delaware going from the CAA to Conference USA. The A10 might try luring a CAA school too.

Towson would probably be the play as it would give them an in into the state of Maryland

Plus - it work location wise for the PA schools and Mason and GW

I missed this last week and in another ode to me former lifetime at American

Jeff Jones retired as Old Dominion HC due to health reasons

Mike Jones - who played at ODU and was on the team that beat Villanova one year in the tournament - leaves Maryland (where he as an assistant) to become the new HC

Jones (Jeff that is) was the coach at American before taking the ODU job