DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - AUTUMN 2023

Dolfan in NYC

6 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Hey, pop quiz hotshots!

What's the difference between a biel, and a Beale?

A biel is a wrestling throw out of the corner, and a Beale is a manager thrown out of Rangers.

7 managers in 11 years of existence!

Manchester United woes covered on BBC Sport:

For Erik ten Hag, there was a worrying familiarity in the unwanted statistics that came out after the final whistle of his side's 3-2 defeat by Galatasaray at Old Trafford.

Manchester United have opened a Champions League campaign with consecutive defeats for the first time.

United have lost six of their 10 matches in all competitions this season. They have also conceded 18 goals in 10 games in all competitions in 2023-24, their most at this stage since 1966-67.

Statistics can be haunting at times like this.

For David Moyes, it was losing at home to Everton for the first time in 21 years followed by home defeat to Newcastle for the first time in 41.

For Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, losing 5-0 at home to Liverpool was an unwanted record.

For Louis van Gaal, 2015-16 was United's joint lowest number of Premier League wins and fewest goals scored.

When Jose Mourinho presided over a 3-0 Old Trafford defeat by Tottenham in 2018, it was the heaviest home loss of his career.

• Manchester United have opened a Champions League campaign with consecutive defeats for the first time.
  • Manchester United have lost six of their 10 matches in all competitions this season. They have also conceded 18 goals in 10 matches in all competitions. That is their most at this stage since 1966.
  • This was Galatasaray's first away win in the competition since a 3-2 victory against Schalke in the last 16 in March 2013, and the first time they had scored in a Champions League away match since November 2015 against Benfica, going seven matches in the competition on the road without scoring before tonight.

BBC Sport:

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp wants the Premier League game against Tottenham to be replayed after Luis Diaz's goal was wrongly disallowed by the video assistant referee.

VAR Darren England and assistant Dan Cook did not overrule when Diaz was flagged offside at 0-0 on Saturday.

Liverpool lost 2-1 thanks to a 96th-minute own goal from Joel Matip.

"Something like this never happened, so that is why I think a replay is the right thing to do," said Klopp.

---

There's no fucking chance that's happening. Liverpool just have to hope it doesn't cost them come the end of the season.

So, last weekend. 

I went to South Florida on the last flight out of LGA, that almost didn't make it because of the nearly 8" (20cm+) of rain that fell on NYC last Friday.   But I strolled into my folks' house at almost 1am and shocked the hell out of my dad who was not expecting to see me at all.  When I told him I was there to take him to see Messi, he was over the moon. 

And see Messi we did!  While he sat in the field boxes.  Not dressed to play:

Sorry about the "AI-ness" of this picture.  It was taken from across the pitch at more than 30x zoom on my S23.  

But anyway, when we get to the stadium it was sprinkling, so no biggie.  Then the lightning came...  and oh boy, if you're ever in a south Florida lightning storm, you know the last place you want to be is on a bunch of metal bleachers, so there was a delay of about 30 minutes.

When the game kicked off we saw a bit of a slough.  Miami playing ZERO offense and NYC just never pressing hard.  It was 0-0 until the 76th minute when NYC scored off a set piece, which FINALLY woke up Miami.  They finally began playing offense and came really close to scoring a couple of times.  Then in the +4 minute of stoppage time, they leveled it off a corner-header taken directly in front of me.  (Watch the highlight, the guy in the black jersey in the front row is me.)   And then improbably, they ALMOST scored again two minutes later.  Like literally a slightly different bounce and the Herons win.  (Oh, and I don't know who Risa is on NYCFC, but the other two D were *SCREAMING* at him for the final 10 minutes of the match.  Which, probably has something to do with the fact that the goal came from his side.)

Anyway though, my dad and I had a great time, despite Messi not playing.  We'll hopefully try it again next season, but still, any quality time spent together is good. 

• Like 2

Looks like the 2030 world cup will be in Spain, Portugal and Morocco....

... except Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay will get to play their first game AT HOME to commemorate the 100th anniversary of th le tournament.  

At what point does ETH get sacked? At this point they may end up in a relegation battle (which is something that once would've been unthinkable).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

At what point does ETH get sacked? At this point they may end up in a relegation battle (which is something that once would've been unthinkable).

You'd think ETH would be on the brink. It's reminding me of Chelsea last year with Graham Potter and Fat Frank making unwanted records whioe dropping down the table. Such a contrast to last season with the Carabao Cup and finishing third. Onana is looking like one of the worst signings in Premier League history.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

You'd think ETH would be on the brink. It's reminding me of Chelsea last year with Graham Potter and Fat Frank making unwanted records whioe dropping down the table. Such a contrast to last season with the Carabao Cup and finishing third. Onana is looking like one of the worst signings in Premier League history.

https://youtu.be/vBKBI7DOLHA?si=YiDlebBzEMslDkGN

Football bloody hell!!!

• Like 1