DVDVR Message Board

UFC 293: Adesanya vs. Strickland (09/09/2023) - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia (Qudos Bank Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Tough loss. Tai had the right game plan with the leg kicks and it was effective. It's just too bad he couldn't keep his balance better.

Volkov is in a tough position. He's got losses to Aspinall, Gane and Blaydes, who are ahead of him. Stipe and Jones aren't an option, which leaves Sergei Pavlovich who's not looking back for anyone right now.

I thought Strickland did a hell of a job not biting on Izzy's feints throughout the fight. He could have easily fell into that trap especially after it looked like Izzy was working his way back into the fight in round two. Maybe we should have saw this coming cause he did fight super disciplined in his fights after the Pereira loss. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, A.M.B. said:

God damn I love this sport. Guess they’re looking to do the rematch but I’d actually really like to see them go for Izzy/DDP and Chimaev/Costa vs. Sean next.

If the UFC is going to do a show in sub Saharan Africa, the only fight to make now that Ngannou is not around and Izzy and Jones are cool with each other is Adesanya vs. Du Plessis. They have enough fighters from the diaspora to put on the undercard and make a go of it. It doesn't necessarily have to be a title fight. Make it a 5 round #1 contender fight. Put Kamaru Usman in the co-main event. There is your card.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Serra/GSP, Holm/Rousey, Pena/Nunes, Lauzon/Pulver, Griffin/Rua and now Strickland/Adesanya.

Bisping/Rockhold, Edwards/Usman, Silva/Weidman, Namajunas/Jędrzejczyk and Grasso/Shevchenko as well.

Where does this rank for you? Need to sleep on it. Been up since 03:00am and it's now 08:15am. Serra/GSP is still #1 with a bullet.

Edited by The Natural

2 hours ago, The Natural said:

Where does this rank for you? Need to sleep on it. Been up since 03:00am and it's now 08:15am. Serra/GSP is still #1 with a bullet.

I don't think this cracks my top 3. GSP/Serra, Holm/Rousey & Nunes/Pena are all clearly over it, IMO. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, waffle said:

I don't think this cracks my top 3. GSP/Serra, Holm/Rousey & Nunes/Pena are all clearly over it, IMO. 

Agree on all counts.

1. Serra/GSP 1.

2. Holm/Rousey.

3. Pena/Nunes.

Edited by The Natural

10 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Agree on all counts.

1. Serra/GSP 1.

2. Holm/Rousey.

3. Pena/Nunes.

If I were to extend it:

1. Serra/GSP 1. The biggest upset in MMA history by Serra on the fighter I rate as the GOAT, GSP.

2. Holm/Rousey. What a moment. Head kick heard around the world with the hammer fists putting Rousey to sleep.

3. Pena/Nunes 1. Pena withstood Nunes punches and capitalised on a tired Nunes to win by rear naked choke.

4. Edwards/Usman 2 for the manner it went down. Usman was P4P #1, was a minute away from tying Anderson Silva's record on 16 consecutive wins and won every round till getting KTFO.

5. Weidman/Silva 1. Silva dropping his hands going full Matrix till Weidman clipped with that left hook and then dribbled his head like a basketball. Only time Silva was knocked unconscious.

Tempted to fit Bisping/Rockhold 2 for my fellow Brit taking the fight on 17 days notice. Left Hook Larry sending Rockhold Outcold in R1. Honourable mention to Namajunas/Jędrzejczyk 1 and Strickland/Adesanya.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

I think it's absolutely a wilder upset than Serra / GSP, Holm / Rouseey et al because anybody can get knocked out at any time.  That's the nature of the sport.  Anyone can get caught.  What Strickland did was just walk Adesanya down and force him to play his game.  It looked like Izzy just did not prepare AT ALL.  Strickland made him look BAD and essentially dominated the entire fight by almost doing nothing but walking forward.  It was incredible. 

Hope we don't do an immediate rematch.  I'd rather see Strickland v. DDP or Hamzat

Masterfully fought contest by Strickland.  Imposed his will and did not stumble into any of Izzy's traps by showing too much when Izzy feinted.  I'd like to see Strickland fight Hamzat next.  I don't think you'd put DDP in a cage with Strickland now as think there is too much money to be made by having Izzy vs Dricas in the King of Africa grudge match.

Competing in anything less that a title fight would be a step down for the South African even if he is across the ring from no-title Izzy with pride and a huge purse on the line.  I am sure that Dana make the match that earns the most gate.

Volkov adds insult to injury by not only beating Tuivasa but using one of the rarest chokes ever to get the job done.  I have seen like two MMA wins by Ezekiel Choke and that was one of them.  Alexey Oleynik was the other and think he has like over ten wins by EC.  Unreal.

Edited by J.T.

1 hour ago, Lawful Metal said:

I think it's absolutely a wilder upset than Serra / GSP, Holm / Rouseey et al because anybody can get knocked out at any time.  That's the nature of the sport.  Anyone can get caught.  What Strickland did was just walk Adesanya down and force him to play his game.

I actually kind of agree with that sentiment.

I think most folks believe it's possible that any fighter, Strickland included, can hit that lotto ticket shot. It just takes one. Perreira was losing before he beat Izzy. Edwards was losing before he beat Usman. And if Sean had gotten the stoppage in the first, it would've been amazing, but I wouldn't say it was an improbable outcome.

But Sean Strickland basically won at everything all night long against one of the greatest fighters in the world. Flash KO? I'd believe it. But actually flummoxing Adesanya, and receiving no significant damage? That had to have seemed impossible to everyone going into this fight. So I'd say it's gotta be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the game.

------

As far as what's next, I side with Daniel Cormier with this one. Izzy should probably take a minute. DDP should probably get the next shot. But it's possible that if Khamzat absolutely destroys Costa, "Borz" will leapfrog.

Of course there's also Cannonier, who dismantled Vettori, and now can say he has a win over the champ.

All at once the division got more complicated, but more fun.

• Like 1