DVDVR Message Board

Starfield Omnibus Thread

26 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

It seems like I've run I to more bugs since the update, but could just be that I'm farther in the story.

Weird thing last night is it came giving me the "trespassing" warning after I played for a while doing other missions. 

Are you sure you weren't actually trespassing and didn't realize it?

I got a Trespassing Warning when i entered an empty area near Euphoria in Ebbside when I first arrived on Neon. 

I thought it was a bug but when I returned to the area to do the mission, The Showdown, it was crawling with Disciples gang members trying to kill me.  They gunned down a poor Chunks employee that got caught in the crossfire.

You may have found a zone in the game where something has yet to occur and are getting a Trespassing Warning because you don't have the mission associated with that location.  Technically, I would call that a bug, but it does kinda make sense that you would get a preemptive Trespassing Warning for being someplace you probably shouldn't be.

Edited by J.T.

Little things in this game make it so great.  The gun nut in me got annoyed with the design of the Old Earth Shotgun (WHY IS THE PUMP SO FAR BACK~?  ARGH~!!) until I realized I was being a total dumbass.

The reason it has the appearance it does is because it is a recreation of Hicks's custom shotgun from Aliens.  That's why the default look in the gun shop has the MP40 pistol grip and Ithica parts from the original prop.

Starfield OES:

Old_Earth_Pump_Shotgun_Store.webp?auto=f

Hick's prop shotgun from Aliens.

Aliens-Hick-s-Shotgun-1.jpg

Replacing the Default Barrel with the Short Barrel makes it look nearly identical to the movie prop.
Edited by J.T.

I got a trespassing bug but it was partially my fault. I was doing a stealth mission where I was actually trespassing, and realized it would be easier without my companion. So I told her to go back to the ship when I was already in the building. So I finished the mission and kept walking around Neon, and was still getting the message. Finally my companion made it out of the trespassing building and re-joined me out and about, but the message didn't stop even when I flew to a new planet.

Luckily, in this case it was an easy fix, just quitting the game and re-starting made the message go away. And it was kinda my own fault for sending away my companion mid-trespassing, that's definitely the kind of thing that would confuse a bethesda game.

18 hours ago, tbarrie said:

So question for those who finished the Mantis quest:

Hide contents

Did anybody figure out the password for the letter grid puzzle? I picked "Shrapnel" as a random 8-letter word, and walked over "Shrapne" only to find their was no "L" in the last row. So I picked "S" and made it to the other side with no turrets firing.

But I kind of doubt "Shrapnes" was actually the correct word, and most likely I hit a bug and any 8 letters would have been fine. Did everybody else have the same experience?

I figured it out on my own based on recordings. The word is...

Spoiler

Tyrannis, as in Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Now, where I had a lot of difficulty and that made me question if that even was the word was because I thought it was spelled with a U instead of an I. That led me to try other words, but I kept going back to the correct one and on the attempt that worked I thought, well, let's just try I instead and that worked. I felt pretty dumb.

Also, my last two play sessions have been totally consumed by trying to setup my first outpost. Yes, after being 100 hours in, I finally had to setup an outpost because I got a mission to gather TWO THOUSAND units of Argon. TWO. THOUSAND. That led to me fumbling around with one, finding a suitable planet with Argon (Akila works for this), and then trying to figure out how to get the Argon out of the ground. I thought that it probably had to do with building an outpost, but then I couldn't place an outpost anywhere. From this I learned that you can't place an outpost if you're near a point of interest. The only problem was that I was nowhere near a point of interest or at least the closest one was 500 units/meters away. So I went back to my ship and it turned out where I landed on the planet was a good enough spot to put down an outpost.

Then came the part of getting enough materials to put down a harvester. I think I was short on nickel and copper so I had to go planet hopping for the copper. Went back, built my harvester, and then discovered I had to power it. Guess what? Wind turbines, solar panels, or any other power source also need materials. So then I had to go back out and farm even more materials for a wind turbine. Then I learned that there's a hard limit on the amount of a gas or resource that can be harvested, which meant building another harvester, except you can't have two harvesters in too close of proximity to each other. I also had to farm the materials for that. AND THEN I learned that the only way to get the materials from the harvesters to your ship is with a storage unit and so I had to go and get materials for one of those and that was the real pain in the ass. A storage unit requires lubricant. At first I tried finding planets with flora and fauna that would have lubricant and couldn't find anything. Then I did what I tried not doing, which was looking up where to find lubricant in Starfield. Akila city actually has a store right near the entrance that sells it. So I did that, completed everything and after another 100 hours of game time I'll probably have enough Argon to complete that quest if I stick with just two harvesters so I'll probably need to build more harvesters...and more power supplies...and more storage buildings. 

I think I spent two hours doing this shit. At least base building is better than it was in Fallout 4.

13 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Yeah. I'm hoping through the miracle of patching that they can reduce some of the extreme amounts of materials that folks are asking for. 

One way that you can cheese that is once you have your outpost going, sleep or wait on a planet like Mercury or Venus where one earth day is almost 200 days UT. It will fill up your containers much faster for whatever resource you need.

I have been doing the now three mineral quests I have piecemeal

So like every time I visit Deimos for example - they are getting 50 pieces of Nickel

I really need to figure out one simple outpost because I stupidly accepting a quest to supply Jemison with Iron and I want to get it out of my list

48 minutes ago, Shadow said:

One way that you can cheese that is once you have your outpost going, sleep or wait on a planet like Mercury or Venus where one earth day is almost 200 days UT. It will fill up your containers much faster for whatever resource you need.

or you build it on a planet where 1 hour is north of 100 hours UT and sleep on your ship.  There is(was?) an xp cheese that had you do that with nickel, aluminum, an industrial workbench and basic braces that worked off that. 

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

or you build it on a planet where 1 hour is north of 100 hours UT and sleep on your ship.  There is(was?) an xp cheese that had you do that with nickel, aluminum, an industrial workbench and basic braces that worked off that. 

Woah, this is something I was not aware of. Again, 100 hours into the game and I'm still learning shit. 

I mean, Elden Ring was probably the first Soulsborn game I actually loved and completed, including Milania, but I'm getting a little tired of the Soulsborn approach to video games where so little is actually explained.

Also, I started getting a little bummed because I feel like I'm getting close to the end of the main story where it sounds like I have one more artifact to collect, I have two more "space shouts" (TM Rippa) to get, and I was thinking I completed about every big side quest out there.

Then I realized I didn't even start the mission to infiltrate the Crimson Fleet, I haven't done any Ryujin stuff, and I haven't done any of the companion quests for anyone except for a couple people (basically Sarah and Barrett). So I probably have more to do than I thought, but I still haven't run into anything super funny except for Vasco's hilarious shit talking during combat.

I actually have spread myself too thin and am trying to do 19 things at once so I decided that this weekend I am gonna focus on finishing specific story threads instead of going "well since I am already in the system"

Off the top of my head I have

• 2 Main Story Missions (since I don't have all the companions yet)
  • Finish Vanguard quest line
  • Finish Freestar quest line
  • Finish Crimson Fleet quest line (which I have barely started)
  • Finish Ryujin quest line (which I am slightly further along than Crimson Fleet but barely)
  • The first (since I think there is more than 1) collection mission for the bank
  • Sam Coe's loyalty quest line
  • Finish Failure to Communicate (I am further than I was a few days ago but I didn't realize how many more steps this fucker had)

4 hours ago, Craig H said:

Then I realized I didn't even start the mission to infiltrate the Crimson Fleet

Bethesda appears to hate the edgelord "I WANNA BE EEEEVILLL~!" playstyle to a certain extent.

Spoiler

If you side with the Crimson Fleet during the mission, Eye of the Storm.  EVERYONE in Constellation will think you are a fucking idiot, including Barrett, who is neutralish towards nearly everyone, and Andreja, whose moral compass has no needle..

On the illogical and dumb side, the UC Vanguard won't seem to care that you are in the Crimson Fleet's pocket and you'll be able to finish up any outstanding missions you have for that mission line.  This makes no sense.

While I appreciate Besthesda following the fine Fallout / TES tradition of giving players the opportunity to complete every quest in the game that they can find and not locking content, I really think this should be patched. 

This is one of those moments where you should absolutely have to face the consequences of any decisions you make.

If you side with the Crimson Fleet, at the very least the Vanguard should tell you to fuck off and access to that mission line should be cut. 

This isn't like the choice of giving the GalBank hack data to Zoe instead of Louisa or siding with the Strikers or Disciples in some turf war.  This decision could shift the balance of power in the game world. It is pivotal, IMO.

I also have a lot of shit outstanding.   Too much to mention.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Finish Failure to Communicate (I am further than I was a few days ago but I didn't realize how many more steps this fucker had)

Yeah, there are a lot of steps.  How's that new Frontier build treating you?

Edited by J.T.

1 minute ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, there are a lot of steps.  How's that new Frontier build treating you?

Combat has gotten WAY better

I definitely have to upgrade though because I am already irritated at the minimum distances I can grav jump

26 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Combat has gotten WAY better

I definitely have to upgrade though because I am already irritated at the minimum distances I can grav jump

Upgrades to your Grav Drive, Reactor and HE3 tank should buff your minimum jump distance by an LY or two, but you should be close to the point where the investment in creds won't squeeze that much more performance out of the Frontier.

In order to travel further and fight tougher enemies, we will need to invest in Class-B and Class-C ships. 

Now that we know that there are Class-M ships in the game, I imagine that those will be added in the DLC coming next March along with maybe a new mission line and some other stuff.

All I want are more facial hair options.  Fashion stubble with no sideburns would be nice since my Ronin has a dagger tattoo on the side of his face near his right ear and having stubble covering the tattoo looks really stupid. 

I also hate that the facial stubble options in the game come with neckbeards.  Ick.

Soul patches and more goatee styles would be even better.

Edited by J.T.

3 hours ago, Craig H said:

Yeah. I'm hoping through the miracle of patching that they can reduce some of the extreme amounts of materials that folks are asking for. 

Assuming we're talking about the requests you get from the various shipyards, I don't think they need to be dialled back. Those missions are, IMO, clearly only there to reward players for building industrial outposts. And it's not like you're expected to deliver the full amount in one trip.

(Incidentally, 2000 is the "medium" amount. In my experience, they ask for 500, 2000, or 5000.) 

31 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I haven't been arrested on this playthrough,  so I've not even started crimson fleet stuff yet. 

The Crimson Fleet missions line is the example that the edgelord murder hobo players on Reddit cite whenever they argue that the Adoring Fan is one of the best companions in the game.

You could push a barrel full of Yorkies into a river and watch them all drown and the Adoring Fan will still love you.

Edited by J.T.

That is a point.  Considering what happens during the Vanguard line, there's no way you should have access to ANY of that if you went a certain way during the Crimson Fleet line.  Even if you did pull off soloing a Terrormorph.

I am getting irked that I barely did any main quest stuff and I only have the Ryujin faction line left.