DVDVR Message Board

SUMMER SECRET SANTO 2023~!

Matt D

@porksweats, if that is in fact your name, you seem to keep up with quite a bit as of late, so I'm going to give you a two match series from WCW. The first match sort of sets up the second and is a nice little TV title program. If you've seen it recently, I can grab you something else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Natural said:

SirSmUgly: Anything in particular you are after or avoidance? Don't want to give you the latter. Thanks, fella.

I am into whatever. Give me something you liked, that's all I ask, and don't worry about whether or not I'll like it. Unless that thing includes shards of glass or beds of nails, I guess.

For you, as I go back into my WCW watch, is a match between Lex Luger and the Giant from Starrcade '96that I think was the best Luger match in his second WCW run and maybe top three or four in his combined WCW runs overall. 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ujxw8

• Thanks 1

Aiming on watching @The Natural’s match tonight or tomorrow. In the moment I’ll decide which one. That Danielson v Morishima is one of my favorites.

———

Love me some Curt. I’m excited for this one.

@Curt McGirt, hmmmm. I should through and option of two of my favs at you:

Devil Masami vs Chigusa Nagayo (1985) : it’s a longer match, but definitely worth it. Quality is kinda pixelated and it’s a veoh link, so do with it what you will. All other uploads are the clipped for tv and much shorter but misses a good deal of the match. It’s a personal fav for showing people the beauty of struggling to fight for holds. Nice and stiff too! In my top ten I’m formulating. I want to get a good list going and then have a drink or two at Steel Toe brewing and make that post. 👍

Arn vs Regal (94)!!! Good TV title match between two of the best ever. Very fun, I screenshotted this match as my profile pic on here. Daily motion. If you’d rather do a YouTube option I can pick you something different.

!!!!!!

The damn match isn't showing up, just a big empty block of space. I Googled it and can only find the Arn/Regal Superbrawl match and one from '96 on Saturday Night. Dailymotion itself only gives me the Superbrawl one. The Chiggy/Devil match is showing up though. I'll try and watch both if you can dig up the other one, or I can do either of the ones I can find?

Alright, I’m making a big risk here by typing this on the forum instead of notes mode. But I’m taking this risk in honor of Sting trying to take the attack to Vader outside the ring. It will likely backfire and result in pain!

I chose to watch Sting vs Vader, gifted by @The Natural
I absolutely loved Danielson vs Morishima, my 07 match of the year. Until just a half hour ago I was planning on watching that, but I looked back and remembered I wrote a review for that in a 2020 Secret Santo. I liked that write up so I’ll post a link to that and try something new:

Sting vs Vader had a similar large bully vs athletic smaller hero feel. But the differences between the characters make each match so that unique using the similar tropes. Morishima is more cerebral in fission out punishment and Vader is more of a cruel schoolyard bully throwing his weight around and mockingly showing his physical superiority. Danielson is a fighter that will try to strike down a large tree, and Sting is a hero against the odds using his just heroism and momentum capitalizing on mistakes. 

Vader starts out just gorilla pressing Sting and throwing him into the ropes. Just such a dick bully trying to rub the paint of Sting’s face. Vader is so good at being cruel. Through the match he goes from arrogant to just cruel as Sting has his several hope spots. After Sting’s second come back attempt, Vader get mildly shaken when he’s clotheslined over the ropes and his mask is taken off. He seems much more focused on landing slaps to the ears and putting weight into close armed lariats. There’s a mean looking sitting abdominal stretch where Vader’s hands are free to grab and stretch Sting’s head. One hand over his mouth and the other on top of his head. I would snap.

Sting is such a hero. He takes such a walloping. His body is thrown around and pummeled, yet each successful attempt at temporarily turning the tides is so believable. Because he IS Sting. I was so excited with his finishing stretch of taking all the punches from Vader and then at the end of the onslaught being able to throw four big haymakers to take the beast down. It’s not enough to put him away but gives way to a shaky Vader to make mistakes in the end. A dive of the top that Sting reverses into a roll up for the pin. Sting is the winner but Vader still looks like a killer. 

The match has three character mistakes that seems to all work with each other:

- Sting trying to keep the momentum attacking Vader after he rolls to the outside. A failed Stinger Splash into the guardrail really takes him out

- A parallel moment where Vader has Sting on the top rope attempting a superplex (just earlier Sting hit Vader with a Supper DDT, and this seemed like revenge), but Sting punches his way out. Vader falls back but Sting is too beat up still to capitalize and crumbles down.

- The finish. Vader hits a splash but rolls off and Sting is painfully still almost sitting up. Vader’s hubris leads him to attempt it again but Sting uses the time and then momentum of the move to create a winning situation.

JR and Jesse are fantastic calling this match. Sadly, modern JR would have bitched about Vader not taking the cover sooner in situations. He was top form here. They maybe oversold the rope-a-dope with Muhammad Ali, but that’s nitpicking on my end. It got it in my mind so when Sting returned some haymakers, I was very happy. 

I’m really glad I watched this, thanks Paul!

——

lol, I missed the post where @Curt McGirt asked what I’m in the mood for: hmmmm

pick any one of your favorite matches. This go around I’m interested in watch what others enjoy. 

• Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 12:33 AM, SirSmUgly said:

I am into whatever. Give me something you liked, that's all I ask, and don't worry about whether or not I'll like it. Unless that thing includes shards of glass or beds of nails, I guess.

For you, as I go back into my WCW watch, is a match between Lex Luger and the Giant from Starrcade '96that I think was the best Luger match in his second WCW run and maybe top three or four in his combined WCW runs overall. 

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7ujxw8

Thank you. I'll think on and get a match out to you.

1 hour ago, Octopus said:

Alright, I’m making a big risk here by typing this on the forum instead of notes mode. But I’m taking this risk in honor of Sting trying to take the attack to Vader outside the ring. It will likely backfire and result in pain!

I chose to watch Sting vs Vader, gifted by @The Natural
I absolutely loved Danielson vs Morishima, my 07 match of the year. Until just a half hour ago I was planning on watching that, but I looked back and remembered I wrote a review for that in a 2020 Secret Santo. I liked that write up so I’ll post a link to that and try something new:

Sting vs Vader had a similar large bully vs athletic smaller hero feel. But the differences between the characters make each match so that unique using the similar tropes. Morishima is more cerebral in fission out punishment and Vader is more of a cruel schoolyard bully throwing his weight around and mockingly showing his physical superiority. Danielson is a fighter that will try to strike down a large tree, and Sting is a hero against the odds using his just heroism and momentum capitalizing on mistakes. 

Vader starts out just gorilla pressing Sting and throwing him into the ropes. Just such a dick bully trying to rub the paint of Sting’s face. Vader is so good at being cruel. Through the match he goes from arrogant to just cruel as Sting has his several hope spots. After Sting’s second come back attempt, Vader get mildly shaken when he’s clotheslined over the ropes and his mask is taken off. He seems much more focused on landing slaps to the ears and putting weight into close armed lariats. There’s a mean looking sitting abdominal stretch where Vader’s hands are free to grab and stretch Sting’s head. One hand over his mouth and the other on top of his head. I would snap.

Sting is such a hero. He takes such a walloping. His body is thrown around and pummeled, yet each successful attempt at temporarily turning the tides is so believable. Because he IS Sting. I was so excited with his finishing stretch of taking all the punches from Vader and then at the end of the onslaught being able to throw four big haymakers to take the beast down. It’s not enough to put him away but gives way to a shaky Vader to make mistakes in the end. A dive of the top that Sting reverses into a roll up for the pin. Sting is the winner but Vader still looks like a killer. 

The match has three character mistakes that seems to all work with each other:

- Sting trying to keep the momentum attacking Vader after he rolls to the outside. A failed Stinger Splash into the guardrail really takes him out

- A parallel moment where Vader has Sting on the top rope attempting a superplex (just earlier Sting hit Vader with a Supper DDT, and this seemed like revenge), but Sting punches his way out. Vader falls back but Sting is too beat up still to capitalize and crumbles down.

- The finish. Vader hits a splash but rolls off and Sting is painfully still almost sitting up. Vader’s hubris leads him to attempt it again but Sting uses the time and then momentum of the move to create a winning situation.

JR and Jesse are fantastic calling this match. Sadly, modern JR would have bitched about Vader not taking the cover sooner in situations. He was top form here. They maybe oversold the rope-a-dope with Muhammad Ali, but that’s nitpicking on my end. It got it in my mind so when Sting returned some haymakers, I was very happy. 

I’m really glad I watched this, thanks Paul!

——

lol, I missed the post where @Curt McGirt asked what I’m in the mood for: hmmmm

pick any one of your favorite matches. This go around I’m interested in watch what others enjoy. 

Hi, David. Really glad you liked my pick of Sting vs. Vader from WCW Starrcade 1992. It's a great match, the best Sting vs. Vader match followed by WCW The Great American Bash 1992. Cheers!

• Like 1

Arn Anderson vs. Lord Steven Regal (02-20-94)

Talk about going broadway. This is a straight half hour of armlocks, toeholds, cravats, etc. with almost no punches or any other non-limbwork. Surprisingly Regal's wounded leg with the wrap on it isn't targeted much either, which Tony and Bobby take note of. The beginning is a whole batch of Zybyzco-level stalling from Regal, who also periodically goes out to check the time on the bowler wearing Bill Dundee's pocket watch (what was the story of him even having that role, btw?). Real surprise here is the crowd is with them the whole way, chanting "USA" for Arn and popping on any hope spots for him, digging the grit and grime of the story. Me, I wasn't feeling it much really, wish they had more fireworks on the whole, but them able to keep the crowd while doing the bare minimum and just selling, selling, selling... it worked. (Also, Bobby has two good moments in this, one comparing Arn's head to a gourd that a lady would knock on to see if it's fresh in the store, another where he calls out for "McMahon" asking what time it was.)

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 12:44 PM, Casey said:

alright @Zimbra what do ya want? Give me some parameters 😝

I like everything except for the real ghouly deathmatch stuff.  Show me something that you really like.

Whatchoo wanna see?

On 8/19/2023 at 1:24 PM, Matt D said:

@porksweats, if that is in fact your name, you seem to keep up with quite a bit as of late, so I'm going to give you a two match series from WCW. The first match sort of sets up the second and is a nice little TV title program. If you've seen it recently, I can grab you something else.

I love some Brad Armstrong so this will be a joy to watch I can imagine!

For you, you are one tough person to choose for so I'll give you one based off your AEW Roster A-Z! 

You liked Shane Taylor and you seemed like you wanted to give Taven a fair shake. Hopefully this helps both cases!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I like everything except for the real ghouly deathmatch stuff.  Show me something that you really like.

Whatchoo wanna see?

I wanted to give you Chono/Takayama in a cage from 2003 but I can’t find it online. So I’m gonna give you Kensuke Sasaki vs Yuji Nagata from New Japan’s 1/4/2004 show. One of the first non-deathmatch Japanese matches I ever watched. Just a really enjoyable little 15 minute sprint that’s pretty bloody and stiff. Neither are on my most favorite wrestlers ever list or anything, but I love this match a lot, fond memories of popping in a VHS tape from Highspots and seeing this

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x80uyw4

Dailymotion sucks, my god. Won’t embed or anything. If you can’t view the video just lemme know and I’ll find something else on YouTube.

Show me something you like from the 1990s, non-WWF. Doesn’t matter what it is or how long.

Edited by Casey

Awww I was saving that one up as a backup choice, but happy that someone got it. There's two Sasaki/Nagata bloodfeasts and they both rule; sucks that the DM quality is so terrible. If you happen to have NJ World they're both there in all their pristine g(l)ory and GOD! that is a lot of blood. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Casey said:

I wanted to give you Chono/Takayama in a cage from 2003 but I can’t find it online. So I’m gonna give you Kensuke Sasaki vs Yuji Nagata from New Japan’s 1/4/2004 show. One of the first non-deathmatch Japanese matches I ever watched. Just a really enjoyable little 15 minute sprint that’s pretty bloody and stiff. Neither are on my most favorite wrestlers ever list or anything, but I love this match a lot, fond memories of popping in a VHS tape from Highspots and seeing this

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x80uyw4

Dailymotion sucks, my god. Won’t embed or anything. If you can’t view the video just lemme know and I’ll find something else on YouTube.

Show me something you like from the 1990s, non-WWF. Doesn’t matter what it is or how long.

Oh, nice.  I enjoyed Sasaki's 2001 re-invention but pretty much dipped out of puro soon after.

For you: Yoshihiro Tajiri vs Minoru Tanaka from Battlarts: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wonder if there's any Young Tajiri from Big Japan worth watching. 

Anyhoo, what fed is Takayama/Chono in the cage from, New Japan? Cause I've seen the G1 match where Chono takes the beating of his life from Tak but I haven't even heard of that one. 

I haven't seen a ton of it but his matches with Dr Wagner Jr and Ikuto Hidaka from BJPW were, unsurprisingly, really good.  He has a bunch of stuff that looks good on paper, like singles vs Zumbido and Naniwa.

It was on the Tajiri comp that was the first wrestling tape I bought off the internet.  That and the above Tanaka match were my entry into the world of wacky lucha submissions.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wonder if there's any Young Tajiri from Big Japan worth watching. 

Anyhoo, what fed is Takayama/Chono in the cage from, New Japan? Cause I've seen the G1 match where Chono takes the beating of his life from Tak but I haven't even heard of that one. 

NJPW Osaka Dream Night 2003. It’s not even on NJPWorld that I can find, much less Dailymotion or YouTube. Maybe Bilibili or something. Kind of seems like it’s been lost as time went on. But that was kind of the dark days of NJPW apparently.