DVDVR Message Board

SOCCER - SUMMER '23

Dolfan in NYC

12 hours ago, Chaos said:

It's probably the right time for this, honestly. For his legacy as one of the true great keepers in United history along with the legacy of being one of the few true bright spots on what's been a middling era in United history compared to expectation. 

Agreed.

DDG stats:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66143950

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Drive Pink Stadium? 

AutoNation is a used car buyer and seller, they're IMCF's current shirt sponsor.  DRV PNK is their breast cancer awareness trademark.  

But since they align with the pink ribbon people, you can probably take a guess about how much of the money actually goes to research. 

(But the team's colors are Pink, White, and Black, so that also fits.)

And we weren't so lucky this time out, losing to Panama 5-4 on penalties.  

I'm happy that Gold Cup and Nations League Finals won't be the same summer going forward.  It does us no good to split the roster for two competitions a month apart. 

On 7/13/2023 at 9:09 AM, Marcel said:

I'm happy that Gold Cup and Nations League Finals won't be the same summer going forward.  It does us no good to split the roster for two competitions a month apart. 

I'm hopeful we can make a meaningful run in the Copa next year. Might be a tournament I try to travel to for a game or two. 

• Like 1

One of my friends suggested a pool for the upcoming EPL season, and I actually was interested in the concept.

The Lineal Premier League Championship.

In the suggestion, either the winner of the Community Shield or the first Premier League game to finish becomes the inaugural (and mythical) Premier League Champion. Then, every Premier League match they play after that is for the title. Title only changes hands on a loss (ie, Champions Advantage), and the new champion starts defending the title in their next match

If gambling for cash: Everyone throws in $5, gets a randomly selected team, winner-takes-all ($100 if all 20 teams are assigned).

• Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 12:48 PM, SirFozzie said:

One of my friends suggested a pool for the upcoming EPL season, and I actually was interested in the concept.

In the suggestion, either the winner of the Community Shield or the first Premier League game to finish becomes the inaugural (and mythical) Premier League Champion. Then, every Premier League match they play after that is for the title. Title only changes hands on a loss (ie, Champions Advantage), and the new champion starts defending the title in their next match

If gambling for cash: Everyone throws in $5, gets a randomly selected team, winner-takes-all ($100 if all 20 teams are assigned).

Given the way seasons go and how some off the wall results occur, we're going to end up somehow with Luton winning the "Linear Title" while still placing 20th.

On 7/14/2023 at 5:48 PM, SirFozzie said:

I am a little bored, so I think I might track this, starting with the beginning of the Premier League.

The Rules:-

1. The Belt will be contested in League matches only with limited exceptions.
  2. The Champion retains on a draw.
  3. The first Decision Match will be the 1992 Charity Shield.
  4. In the event of the Belt Holder getting relegated, an Interim title will be created starting from the next Charity/Community Shield.

The inaugural holders? Leeds United.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DangerMark said:

I am a little bored, so I think I might track this, starting with the beginning of the Premier League.

The Rules:-

1. The Belt will be contested in League matches only with limited exceptions.
  2. The Champion retains on a draw.
  3. The first Decision Match will be the 1992 Charity Shield.
  4. In the event of the Belt Holder getting relegated, an Interim title will be created starting from the next Charity/Community Shield.

The inaugural holders? Leeds United.

Really interesting question when you plot this out.. who's had the longest title reign (Arsenal's Invincibles?), and who's had the most reigns..

I've done 7 years, but the answers to your questions (with the proviso that I am just one man who is praying that his list of results is complete and accurate,) are, in order, as of May 2000, Nottingham Forest and Manchester United. In the first seven seasons, more teams have been relegated holding the belt (one) than have finished first holding the belt; and, curiously, Three time holders Tottenham Hotspur have had all three reigns ended by Chelsea.

Sheffield Wednesday have taken the Original Belt down to the First Division, and I'm going to have to start tracking a second belt, starting with 2000 Charity Shield winners Chelsea. Not sure how to handle the numbering of Interim reigns.

Edited by DangerMark

Premier League Chelsea vs League Two Wrexham on ESPN. One club is sponsored by United Airlines, the other has no shirt sponsor.

Guess which is which. You're wrong.