DVDVR Message Board

Dynamite - 6/7/2023

The Natural

1 hour ago, zendragon said:

And those moves where his finish, lotsa clobbering and then a dude who’s billed at 400+ lands on you. He wasn’t out there doing cartwheels just to show he could

My standard is Bam Bam Bigelow.

SQ2h0.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

We just had a thread regular register a sockpuppet account to put over what is generally considered a terrible match between Chris Jericho and Keith Lee

Plenty of derangement on both sides of the coin

Both sides of what coin? I'm not taking any sides in anything other than I don't wanna have to read the same tired rant every single week. You seem to have picked a side in some... imaginary battle? Maybe there's some between the lines context going over my head here. But then again you're the king of bad faith posters so I probably shouldn't even have engaged. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

But then again you're the king of bad faith posters so I probably shouldn't even have engaged. 🤷‍♂️

You just told someone in the WWE thread to use the ignore feature for posts they don't like, but then in this thread you singled out another person for being critical of AEW

Maybe follow your own advice and just put Drew on ignore?

2 hours ago, Ingobernable said:

I am genuinely new to posting! Check my profile. It would be a real long game for someone to use a sockpuppet set up in 2014. I’ll get around to contributing to other discussions too. 

Don't worry, welcome to more active posting!

• Like 5

Fair point. My counter point would be I actually like reading his non-Bucks & Cole thoughts. And I'm just hoping bringing awareness to it (since there's been a bunch of us who have complained about) might get Drew to dial it back. The other guy was just railing on Natural for no real reason with no real purpose. But I digress. Clearly I'm still the biggest sheep on the farm. Paintedbynumbers would be proud of you.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, SirFozzie said:

Please don't say JB196, please don't say JB196.

(yes, I am the SirFozzie that dealt with him there)

For reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:Long-term_abuse/JB196&oldid=876659549

I was involved HEAVILY with this bit of wrestling flavored insanity.

Well, if the accusation is that it's him, it'd be one heck of an impressive feat considering he died a couple of years ago.

Anyway, how's about we be a little more welcoming to former lurkers and if it is a sockpuppet we let the mods do their job? Sockpuppets will reveal themselves eventually anyway.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

Both sides of what coin? I'm not taking any sides in anything other than I don't wanna have to read the same tired rant every single week. You seem to have picked a side in some... imaginary battle? Maybe there's some between the lines context going over my head here. But then again you're the king of bad faith posters so I probably shouldn't even have engaged. 🤷‍♂️

There's a pretty easy way to deal with consistently bad-faith posters, spam bots, and dudes who literally cannot help but post the sane negative thoughts again and again and again. That way the s not,unfortunately, engaging with them and hoping they respond positively to reason and logic.  I resisted for the longest time, myself, but k st four simple additions to the ignore list made spending time on here 50% more enjoyable and about 85% less frustrating. Everyone's choices will vary, of course, but I think my four would make a great starting point for many people here. Also, if you want to type in DZ's new name (which just saves a lot of scrolling past unattributed newz posts rather than eliminating bad-faith arguments) you need to add a Japanese keyboard and type in "akaiiryuu" (or red dragon). 

qJ7slKG.png

Edited by Gordlow
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Ingobernable said:

Chris Jericho vs Keith Lee

First up the really important stuff: Chris Jericho is only nine years younger than my dad so there’s a world in which they could hang but ultimately I don’t think there’d be any contest. Even without my dad’s arthritic ankles Jericho’s bringing a fireball and you can’t mess with that. Keith Lee is twenty years younger than my dad and looks like a boulder and you can’t mess with that either. The lads are two up on my dad. LEGIT wrestlers on the eye test.

We’re told that this match has happened because Lee wants to teach Jericho a lesson about respect and it’s wild that Jericho has got this far without being taught that lesson. I like Lee’s Big Cape and his big grey beard. He’s doing lots of little hops and skips after some of his offence and I start to feel a bit ungenerous but then he starts throwing hands and wins me over. The opening portion is just Lee slowly beating Jericho down and I like it. (As an aside I kind of hate what picture in picture does to matches like this – Jericho is on top during the break and Lee gets nothing. I think he’s selling too much but nobody sees it so it’s fine). They do a cool bit where Lee gets energised every time he gets chopped. I also love a sequence where he sprints through a clothesline and then just WIPES Jericho out with a tackle. Jericho has given Lee some of his best shots and it’s just helping him build momentum in response. I don’t hate the moonsault because spot with the knees is cute and it’s part of a much more BURLY approach. The finishing stretch holds the pace I’ve been enjoying and shenanigans are fine because it’s a TV main.

So yeah this is a cool TV main with plenty to enjoy. I really enjoyed the pacing (PIP aside) and there were some cute spots. A few things I’d nitpick about but I won’t labour them. If this was the first Keith Lee match I’d watched I’d be interested in more and I won’t let my attention get drawn elsewhere next time he’s on Dynamite.

Here’s the thing though. While this experiment shows me my specific Keith Lee take is out-of-date, it’s actually sort of added weight to my original position. I find this Keith Lee - big burly shitkicker with a moonsault – much more entertaining than earlier iterations of Keith Lee. My point was never intended to be about Keith Lee, who someone else had brought up in the context of a big dude with a sprinty style (not a claim I’d make on the evidence of this match). It was about how there should be a place in wrestling for people with all sorts of body types, but it certainly helps me to engage with their matches if they’re not wrestling a style that feels incongruous to their look. I don’t think that means the same as something like “all wrestlers should be jacked” or “all slim wrestlers should just do flips”.   

"I was completely wrong, but if you think about it that actually proves that I was right all aling" is a genuinely amusing conclusion for you to have reached. That being said, thanks for the review. I'm pleased to see that I likely won't have to add  a fifth poster to my ignore list.

• Haha 1