DVDVR Message Board

GOTY?

misanthrope304

I'm going to suggest this as the rule for remakes: this podcast I listen to called Insert Credit talked about when a remade or re-released games are new games (an argument inspired by the release of The Stanley Parable, which is a fine tuning and update of an old Half-Life 2 mod) and the conclusion they came to is that if the changes made effect the way you play the game then it's a new game. So by their logic, the PC release of Spelunky is a new game on account of the Daily Challenges and how that can change your strategy, where as Ducktales Remastered is not because there's no mechanical changes at all.

We don't have to do shit that way but I think it's an interesting point.

What did Destructoid or other sites that don't suck fat dicks like IGN vote GOTY?

Not sure if you were being ironic intentionally, but Destructoid had The Last of Us as GOTY.  So did Giant Bomb.  And Game Informer, GamesRadar, Game Revolution, Kotaku, MMGN, Yahoo!, and Good Game.  I dunno what half those things are, but it still won a shit ton of awards.

It's worse than all the Uncharteds, and nowhere near GTA V.

Nerds have finally ruined video games for the normals.

The problem is many of those sites gave GTA V very high ratings upon release (saw quite a lot of 10/10's, 5/5's, etc).

But why is GTA V not ending up as GOTY when a game like TLOU (or BioShock Infinite) is? All three games are high quality games. I want to think the overall package for TLOU and BioShock Infinite left a more lasting impression. And don't just say it's 'dur TLOU has a story and is not a game,' when there is gameplay.

But the hipster backlash against TLOU is to be expected at this point.

Well, you have to consider who are voting on these awards: professional gamers who play a ton of games. They're going to gravitate to the game that they feel like is trying to give them a new gaming experience. No matter how good GTAV is, it's exactly the game you expect it to be, the next variation on the same theme that series has been pumping out for over a decade.

Meanwhile, in a world where AAA games are getting increasingly easier to the point that they almost beat themselves, to the point that they are almost passive, rote entertainment experiences, TLOU is a game that, to some degree, actively resists your efforts to get comfortable and have fun with it. It's the rare game about surviving in a post-apocalyptic nightmare world that actually captures how much it would suck to have to survive in a post-apocalyptic nightmare world.

The problem is many of those sites gave GTA V very high ratings upon release (saw quite a lot of 10/10's, 5/5's, etc).

But why is GTA V not ending up as GOTY when a game like TLOU (or BioShock Infinite) is? All three games are high quality games. I want to think the overall package for TLOU and BioShock Infinite left a more lasting impression. And don't just say it's 'dur TLOU has a story and is not a game,' when there is gameplay.

Has anyone gave Bioshock GOTY??

Has anyone gave Bioshock GOTY??

A few sites like CNN, Associated Press, and Entertainment Weekly. Begin the laughter.

I thought it was the hipsters that fawn over TLOU and it was the casual gamer that cannot fathom the praise laid at the feet of a game whose gameplay really is pretty lackluster?

TLOU is a game that, to some degree, actively resists your efforts to get comfortable and have fun with it. It's the rare game about surviving in a post-apocalyptic nightmare world that actually captures how much it would suck to have to survive in a post-apocalyptic nightmare world.

Too bad that the tension of the story does not transfer to the gameplay.  Death holds no real sting because the frequent checkpoints make the game feel like a warm blanket when compared to a game like GTA where death happens rather suddenly.  You learn to respect guns very quicklly in GTA5.

Speaking of guns, if it's the end of the world, then why not emphasize trap setting and makeshift weapons and keep guns scarce?  The new Tomb Raider has more of a gritty survival feel than this game, at least when compared to the TLOU's Normal Mode.... which most gamers will play in preference to Survival Mode.

Survival Mode is IMO is how TLOU was designed to be played, but then you have the RPG diffusion players who want the gameplay to compliment the storyline and not visa versa.  If all I wanted to do was experience a good story, I'd read a book or watch a movie.  If TLOU succeeds in telling a great story but does not succeed in having great gameplay, then it is an interactive novel; it isn't a game..

• Like 4