DVDVR Message Board

AEW Rampage - 1/27/2023

The Natural

I had heard standing on Middle Rope Suplex = Superplex, standing on Top Rope Suplex = Suicideplex, but that was decades ago and I've not heard it since.

I look at it like Avalanche and Super are somewhat interchangeable. It comes down to branding of the performers and/or terminology of the commentators. As long as whatever is said is accepted by the viewer as what that move is, we’re good to go. Dean Malenko defensively hit an Avalanche DDT on Jericho in WCW while he was in position to get superplexed, Liger hit AKIRA with an Avalanche DDT while he sits AKIRA on the turnbuckle and he stands on the top rope, Rich Rude hit a Super-DDT on Hashinoto while Hashimoto was crotchet on the corner and Rick Rude steps to the top to drop down, and B-Boy hit Drake Younger with an Avalanche DDT while facing towards the ring and both are on the second rope.

• Like 2

Is it too early to say Jamie Hayter is the best AEW Women's World Champion ever? The match with Toni Storm to begin her reign, Hikaru Shida and Emi Sakura were all great. Looking forward to Hayter's rematch with all three. Hikaru Shida had a great year long reign and I really liked Dr. Britt Baker's run more than some also.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Is it too early to say Jamie Hayter is the best AEW Women's World Champion ever? The match with Toni Storm to begin her reign, Hikaru Shida and Emi Sakura were all great. Looking forward to Hayter's rematch with all three. Hikaru Shida had a great year long reign and I really liked Dr. Britt Baker's run more than some also.

I think she's headed that way. She's definitely the champion the belt needs right now. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DEAN said:

That's why we hired you!

Too funny, too true. Have I mentioned that the reason I started watching AEW was because a TV writer and wrestling fan (and DVDVR lurker/possible poster) I followed in Twitter (Owen Ellickson) retweeted a tweet that confirmed the rumor that Tony Khan had been a long-time DVDVR poster?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Matt D said:

TK: "That Deathvalleydriver board is a wonderful place.... except for that Gregg guy."

• I caught the last few seconds of Yuta vs Hangman, and that was a very Punkshot level Death Rider.
  • Felt just a little bad for Taylor since Danhausen was way more over than he was. This was fun, with the best part being Sonjay's sell of the Orange Punch, but I hope they spend a few weeks with it at least as there are a bunch more matches I want to see out of the pairing. I thought Satnam did a good job selling the rope drapings. He's making progress. A fake golden globe as a weapon is such 1990 Memphis bullshit.
  • I struggle to see what a good payoff for Hobbs would be. You'd think maybe the guy to beat Darby but he just had a TNT title feud where he ate the fall. You don't want him beating Cassidy, though on some level, for him to be the guy to wrestle all of the international wrestlers would be interesting at least. Different. Maybe a Page feud? But then who wins? Maybe a Mox feud? That'd be good even if he didn't win. He'd just have to hold his own.
  • Main event was excellent. Crowd stayed in it even through the long bits of heat. A lot of that was on Hayter showing fire but then getting cut down. During the break, Excalibur got confused and called Mei "Mei Saint-Michel" for some reason even though they're clearly (clearly) different people. Emi gets so into things that part of me wasn't sure she'd have the ability to modulate the act for this setting, but past a few "I am your highness"es when she was going for the moonsault, she had the slider 2/3rds the way to full seriousness (which as good as the Shida match from last year was, wasn't something she did then). I'd almost be sad to see her used in a setting other than Elevation since she's such a beloved part of that show. It's like taking Eigen or Okuma out of the Baba comedy six mans. Emi Elevation tags are weekly bits of comfort and joy, but she both deserves more spotlight and can absolutely deliver and contribute.
  • Bring on Swerve vs Dustin! I could be wrong, because Swerve's offense is pretty goofy, but I just have a feeling Dustin would be the best babyface possible and Swerve the most vile heel and it'd be a great match.

All my exposure to Emi was loving her through Dark/Elevation along with just knowing her history, so last night was fucking wild and amazing. I don't know how she can go back to being the beloved Queen Emi of YouTube, who heats up the mid-card women on their way to title match squashes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Natural said:

I still vote for Shida, but Hayter's already #2, and if her reign lasts a bit longer she'll be #1.

• Like 2