DVDVR Message Board

NFL 2022 - WEEK 17 (Clean Version)

Just Adam Bay Bay

Your AFC Playoff scenarios for this week.

Clinched: Buffalo Bills (AFC East), Kansas City Chiefs (AFC West), Cincinnati Bengals (playoff berth), Baltimore Ravens (playoff berth), Los Angeles Chargers (playoff berth)

Buffalo Bills

Clinch AFC #1 seed with

• Win at Cincinnati AND Kansas City loss vs Denver

Cincinnati Bengals

Clinch AFC North with

• Win vs Kansas City Buffalo AND Baltimore loss vs Pittsburgh

Miami Dolphins

Clinch playoff spot with

• Win at New England AND New York Jets loss at Seattle
Edited by Gonzo
  • Like 1

Your NFC Playoff scenarios for this week.

Clinched: Minnesota Vikings (NFC North), San Francisco 49ers (NFC West), Philadelphia Eagles (playoff berth), Dallas Cowboys (playoff berth)

Philadelphia Eagles

Clinch NFC East with

• Win vs New Orleans, OR
  • Dallas loss at Tennessee

Clinch NFC #1 seed with

• Win vs New Orleans, OR
  • Minnesota loss at Green Bay AND Dallas loss at Tennessee AND San Francisco loss at Las Vegas

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Clinch NFC South with

• Win at Carolina

New York Football Giants

Clinch playoff berth with

• Win vs Indianapolis, OR
  • Washington loss vs Cleveland AND Seattle loss vs New York Jets, OR
  • Washington loss vs Cleveland AND Detroit loss vs Chicago AND Green Bay loss vs Minnesota, OR
  • Detroit loss vs Chicago AND Seattle loss vs New York Jets AND Green Bay loss vs Minnesota
Edited by Gonzo

Basically, they didn't realize something was wrong until too late.   Mainly because he showed no concussion symptoms after the hit  that everyone believes is where he got concussed. 

And since he bounced back up and was asymptomatic and they're actively trying to win... he stayed in.  He apparently didn't show any signs until Monday. 

It's unfortunate, but Tua appears to be concussion-prone.  There's talk he may get shut down for the season, but that's going to be a real tough decision to make as he's only in year 3, and major decisions are going to be made soon.  (Especially if Baltimore stupidly lets #8 walk.)

25 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Basically, they didn't realize something was wrong until too late.   Mainly because he showed no concussion symptoms after the hit  that everyone believes is where he got concussed. 

And since he bounced back up and was asymptomatic and they're actively trying to win... he stayed in.  He apparently didn't show any signs until Monday. 

It's unfortunate, but Tua appears to be concussion-prone.  There's talk he may get shut down for the season, but that's going to be a real tough decision to make as he's only in year 3, and major decisions are going to be made soon.  (Especially if Baltimore stupidly lets #8 walk.)

I respect your opinions both as a Mod, and a Dolphins fan. However as someone with a history of concussions himself I don’t think shutting him down for the season is a real tough decision to make.

Do you want Tua to live a healthy and productive life, or do you care more about a Dolphins Super Bowl win? Because both of those things don’t seem like they can occur this season. If they rush him back Sunday or in Week 18, and that’s the last game of his career then Miami fans have nobody to blame but their owner, and themselves for wanting him to play. I wouldn’t want Daniel Jones playing in that same instance, and I’m not even a fan of his (the Giants yes, but I want a better QB).

Plus I wouldn’t base any extension he gets on whether or not Lamar leaves Baltimore. Vegas can get out from under Carr, and I’m sure they’d throw all the cap space they have at Lamar. 

• Like 1

Basically everyone would lol.   I'm sure the Jets are ready and waiting with an obscene contract offer that's ready to go as soon as they can offer it -- with all their cap space, I'd guess they'd be the front-runner if he left.   

As for Tua I'd guess, if they lose this weekend, he's done for the year.  There's no reason for them to throw him out there again for some guy to make a name for himself and, more importantly, end Tua's career.  Most importantly right now though, I don't think he's playing in Foxboro this weekend. 

I don't have any of the medicals and all that stuff, but I'd guess there are plenty of guys out there right now, who are as/more concussed that TT is, and they're orgs are letting them play.  He's a hell of a competitor, and I'm sure he'll say he's fine... but this is the exact reason why they pay doctors a lot of money.  Hopefully, it's the right one.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Basically everyone would lol.   I'm sure the Jets are ready and waiting with an obscene contract offer that's ready to go as soon as they can offer it -- with all their cap space, I'd guess they'd be the front-runner if he left.   

As for Tua I'd guess, if they lose this weekend, he's done for the year.  There's no reason for them to throw him out there again for some guy to make a name for himself and, more importantly, end Tua's career.  Most importantly right now though, I don't think he's playing in Foxboro this weekend. 

I don't have any of the medicals and all that stuff, but I'd guess there are plenty of guys out there right now, who are as/more concussed that TT is, and they're orgs are letting them play.  He's a hell of a competitor, and I'm sure he'll say he's fine... but this is the exact reason why they pay doctors a lot of money.  Hopefully, it's the right one.  

I don’t see Baltimore letting him go for free either way. I do think they’ll at the very least put the franchise tag on him, and then get however many first rounders that would net in return. The Jets do seem like the logical landing spot though. 

I don’t see him playing this week either, and if they beat New England he should at the very least sit Week 18. That’s only for seeding at that point, and an extra week off could only benefit him. 

I agree too that there are guys currently playing with concussions, but that’s not the standard he or the league should be using. As I pointed out the night they played the Bengals I honestly thought I’d watched him die on the field. If the league keeps going the way they are with concussions some week it will happen (I’m not wishing it on Tua, or saying he’d be the one either, just that a player on some team won’t get back up one of these weeks).

4 hours ago, dogwelder said:

As expected the Commanders said that Wentz will start this week against the Browns

I'm biased since my step dad went to ODU and is a big Heinicke fan, but this makes me sad. I don't think Heinicke is "the answer" but I certainly don't think Wentz is either and Heineke was playing pretty well until he self-destructed a bit in the 4th. He had a QB Rating of 114 and 72% completion percentage in that game. Ah well.

3 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I'm biased since my step dad went to ODU and is a big Heinicke fan, but this makes me sad. I don't think Heinicke is "the answer" but I certainly don't think Wentz is either and Heineke was playing pretty well until he self-destructed a bit in the 4th. He had a QB Rating of 114 and 72% completion percentage in that game. Ah well.

The general belief is that Riverboat Ron was just itching for an excuse to put Wentz back in once he was healed, but Heinicke was on his hot streak so you couldn't bench him.  But now that he's gone 0-2-1 in the past month...

Edit: Oh, and the rumor is that if the Commanders get eliminated this weekend they'll start Howell in the final game...

Edited by dogwelder

24 minutes ago, dogwelder said:

The general belief is that Riverboat Ron was just itching for an excuse to put Wentz back in once he was healed, but Heinicke was on his hot streak so you couldn't bench him.  But now that he's gone 0-2-1 in the past month...

Edit: Oh, and the rumor is that if the Commanders get eliminated this weekend they'll start Howell in the final game...

I don’t know why they don’t just start Howell both weeks. It’s not like they’re getting revenue off of playoff tickets as they’d be in San Francisco or Minnesota even if they squeak in. 

Plus it would give them a better idea of what to do in the offseason (besides dump Wentz). 

9 minutes ago, LF2 said:

I don’t know why they don’t just start Howell both weeks. It’s not like they’re getting revenue off of playoff tickets as they’d be in San Francisco or Minnesota even if they squeak in. 

Plus it would give them a better idea of what to do in the offseason (besides dump Wentz). 

Well, there seems to be the thought that if the Commanders don't make the postseason Rivera gets dumped, so he's basically hoping Wentz saves his job.

11 minutes ago, Pedro said:

I honestly can't see them getting rid of Rivera, the team loves him and he is one hell of a morale booster. The video of him telling his special teams player that he made the pro bowl was great.  Ron believes in his team and is willing to bet on them by making some risky calls. I'm not a Commanders fan but their games are always entertaining to watch. 

If they don't make the playoffs, that means they end up at best 8-8-1.  That would give Rivera a three year mark of 22-35-1.  Consider also that in his 11 previous seasons prior to this year he's only had 3 winning seasons and that was with a MVP-caliber QB in Cam Newton.  Rivera might be a good motivator, but he's not a good head coach and he's not a good talent evaluator.

Edit: And I've watched every Commanders game (and I think I'm the only Commanders fan really still here...).  I'm not sure if I would call their games 'always entertaining'.

Edited by dogwelder
  • Like 1

Derek Carr has left the Raiders facilities and gone home, so his season is over.  

Davante Adams is also expected to request a trade in the off-season.

Things are going swell, why do you ask?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For fantasy football we always exclude the last week since the stars a lot of times will sit the last week, but the Raiders and Titans are really blowing things up this year by sitting their guys a week earlier (for different reasons).

This is seen as strategic since this game doesn't matter to the Titans, but the game in Week 18 does. So they are sitting anyone even slightly injured to save them for the Jags.