Jump to content

UFC 279: Diaz vs. Ferguson (09/10/2022) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)


Elsalvajeloco
 Share

Recommended Posts

FcSo4BNXEAEy5qo.jpg?1662825078

UFC 279: Diaz vs. Ferguson
September 10, 2022
Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Nate Diaz (171) vs. Tony Ferguson (171) - Diaz, SUB (guillotine choke), R4 (2:52)
Khamzat Chimaev (178.5) vs. Kevin Holland (179.5) - Chimaev, SUB (d'arce choke), R1 (2:13)
Jingliang Li (170.5) vs. Daniel Rodriguez (179) - Rodriguez, DEC (split)
Irene Aldana (137.5) vs. Macy Chiasson (139.5) - Aldana, KO (upkick to the body), R3 (2:21)
Johnny Walker (205) vs. Ion Cuțelaba (205.5) - Walker, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:37)  

ESPN / ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Hakeem Dawodu (149.5)** vs. Julian Erosa (146) - Erosa, DEC (unanimous)
Jailton Almeida (216.5) vs. Anton Turkalj (214) - Almeida, SUB (rear naked choke), R1 (4:27)
Denis Tiuliulin (186) vs. Jamie Pickett (185.5) - Tiuliulin, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:52)
Jake Collier (265) vs. Chris Barnett (267.5)* - Barnett, TKO (punches), R2 (2:24)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
Norma Dumont (146) vs. Danyelle Wolf (146) - Dumont, DEC (unanimous)
Chad Anheliger (135.5) vs. Heili Alateng (135) - Alateng, DEC (unanimous)
Melissa Martinez (113.5) vs. Elise Reed (115.5) - Reed, DEC (unanimous)
Darian Weeks (170.5) vs. Yohan Lainesse (171) - Lainesse, DEC (split)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight 
**Forfeits 30% of purse for missing weight 

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Jailton Almeida
Performance of the Night: Johnny Walker
Performance of the Night: Irene Aldana
Performance of the Night: Nate Diaz

Attendance: 19,125
Gate: $5.67 million
Buyrate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's it! No more press conferences and scrums until people learn how to behave. **folds arms**

I hope Nick Diaz bit someone after someone tried to kidnap Nate's dog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

According to Ariel Helwani the details were pretty tame compared to the AEW one.

I love the mental hoops of wanting to prove you're tough, even though you're already a pro fighter, realizing you can't hit a guy until the show, and being like "Water bottles don't count right? I can throw those!."

And then hit the one guy who is just trying to calm shit down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AA484 said:

Chimaev vs. Holland would have been a better choice for at least a Fight Night main event. This is one of the worst PPV cards I can remember.

Eh, I mean anything with a big name PPV usually doesn't have the best undercard. Some of those 2013-2014 PPV cards were pretty mediocre as well. At least everyone on the main card I recognize.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Eh, I mean anything with a big name PPV usually doesn't have the best undercard. Some of those 2013-2014 PPV cards were pretty mediocre as well. At least everyone on the main card I recognize.

Yeah, but I feel like even the main is pretty weak. Plus, the next card is stacked.

Also, is Diaz still a guy who can draw? Maybe against Conor or Jorge, but I have my doubts about Chimaev. I think the buyrate is gonna be weak, but I may be wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, AA484 said:

Yeah, but I feel like even the main is pretty weak. Plus, the next card is stacked.

*If the fight goes on or even if someone replaces Chimaev, the dual purpose of making the fight was it allows Nate to fight out his contract and put him against something they're building up. I don't think they were looking to put on a blockbuster main event.

53 minutes ago, AA484 said:

Also, is Diaz still a guy who can draw? Maybe against Conor or Jorge, but I have my doubts about Chimaev. I think the buyrate is gonna be weak, but I may be wrong.

I don't think Masvidal himself is a draw more than he has had the right circumstances to make his fights draw. Back in the prime years of HBO boxing, there would be guys who were able to get several more fights on HBO well past their prime simply because they had 1-2 big wins or performances. Masvidal was able to get notable fights on the back of the Askren win. 

Chimaev has had the UFC hype machine behind which is just as good considering he has a name now and hasn't beaten a whole bunch of big names. And again, I don't think they were hoping for a huge buyrate anyway as much allowing Chimaev to beat Nate Diaz on his way out of the UFC. Now if that doesn't happen cause Khazmat didn't make weight, that's a whole different story. However, it would have popped a good number a non-title fight that rankings wise doesn't make sense. That's all they wanted really. And Nate getting obliterated. That too.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Helwani reported that UFC called Poirier to be a replacement and he said yes but has heard nothing since then.

Did Poirier actually weigh in this morning? I saw him on a digital scale, but I didn't know if that actually counted or was just him weighing himself for clout purposes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Did Poirier actually weigh in this morning? I saw him on a digital scale, but I didn't know if that actually counted or was just him weighing himself for clout purposes.

I'm guessing he posted it after getting the call. Here's the tweet. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh man what a week if you're an AEW and UFC fan.

It's moments like these where I would pay top dollar for a live feed of Dana White trying to sort this shit out.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Khamzat talks mad shit at the pressers and then misses weight by nearly eight pounds.  What the fuck, man?

Apparently, there is a "medical" issue but Macy Chiasson and Chris Barnett at HW somehow missed weight too. Those are just the ones I heard of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mini Khabib has some Twitter posts claiming Khamzat was hanging around in a restaurant night before. Insane gap on the weight cut miss. Betting lines were reporting some wild accumulation of late bets on Nate too -- this article came out prior to the weigh in https://www.mmamania.com/2022/9/8/23343847/sportsbooks-panic-face-seven-figure-loss-ufc-fans-go-crazy-bet-the-house-nate-diaz

There were some more comments elsewhere that more money was piled into Diaz over the past few days than all other fighters on the card put together. A lot of UFC fighters polled for predictions were choosing Nate to despite the enormous odds discrepancy. All very strange this one.

Edited by A_K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, A_K said:

Mini Khabib has some Twitter posts claiming Khamzat was hanging around in a restaurant night before. Insane gap on the weight cut miss. Betting lines were reporting some wild accumulation of late bets on Nate too -- this article came out prior to the weigh in https://www.mmamania.com/2022/9/8/23343847/sportsbooks-panic-face-seven-figure-loss-ufc-fans-go-crazy-bet-the-house-nate-diaz

There were some more comments elsewhere that more money was piled into Diaz over the past few days than all other fighters on the card put together. A lot of UFC fighters polled for predictions were choosing Nate to despite the enormous odds discrepancy. All very strange this one.

Nate Diaz is polarizing to the point people will bet on him despite a severe skill discrepancy. That and people believing Khazmat is a hype job especially after the Durinho fight. That's all the ammo they need really. 

Okay, so the new card will be the aforementioned Diaz vs. Ferguson - 5 rounds, Holland vs. Chimaev  - 5 rounds per Holland's request, and Leech vs. Daniel Rodriguez. Hakeem Dawodu missed weight so that's the one I missed.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Nate Diaz is polarizing to the point people will bet on him despite a severe skill discrepancy. That and people believing Khazmat is a hype job especially after the Durinho fight. That's all the ammo they need really. 

Sounds like some serious whales have dropped money on Nate though to take the betting to such a degree: this isn't just some causal UFC fans if its been taken to such an extent that they could break the bookmakers on it. Given Diaz was playing up in his press conf. how he was not prepared for the fight etc., it all sounds more outlandish still. Has Chimaev missed weight before? Comes across as total gym rat .. ludicrous that he'd be missing weight by almost 8 pounds. Absolutely crazy miss.

Edited by A_K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, A_K said:

Sounds like some serious whales have dropped money on Nate though to take the betting to such a degree. Given Diaz was playing up in his press conf. how he was not prepared for the fight etc., it all sounds more outlandish still. Has Chimaev missed weight before? Comes across as total gym rat .. ludicrous that he'd be missing weight by almost 8 pounds. Absolutely crazy miss.

Considering he wasn't the only one who missed, I am assuming something happened during fight week that threw off some weight cuts. Maybe the presser stuff had something to do with it. I dunno. I do know Macy Chiasson has missed more than this one time. I don't remember Khazmat ever missing but the sample size is much smaller compared to his contemporaries.

That said, Holland is a much different test than Nate. Holland probably wanted five rounds just in case Khazmat wasn't in shape. Now, I will say....I dunno if I would want to fight Khazmat on 24 hours notice. Hell, 24 weeks notice. That could end up bad for Kevin too.

Out of anyone, Nate got a much better deal cause it's faded Tony Ferguson. Leech now has to fight a Daniel Rodriguez, who is lesser known and could beat him. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do kinda like this card more, though I was interested in the spectacle of the top two fights, they’re much more balanced now. I feel for Leech big time though. Dude was all ready for the press conference with his nice suit, and likely on his way to the biggest win of his career, now he’s taking on a much bigger dude and isn’t getting much of a rub from a name if he manages a victory.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Elsalvajeloco changed the title to UFC 279: Diaz vs. Ferguson (09/10/2022) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)
  • Elsalvajeloco unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...