DVDVR Message Board

What's Going On?

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, Eivion said:

Sorry to hear this happened though I'm glad you are ok. Last I saw something about fluid build it was my father having kidney issues in 2019 so I'm glad its nothing as serous.

Thanks! I had the fun experience of kidney shut-down several years ago when the doc changed my blood pressure medicine. The poisons built up quickly and I didn't realize that anything was wrong until I suddenly couldn't read. I could see characters on the page and knew that they were supposed to mean something, but it just appeared to be random gibberish*, that's when I knew it was time to get to the hospital. Some heavy-duty diuretics and I was good to go (no pun intended), but what a bizarre experience, especially when you consider what I do for a living (writing/editing) . 

*Since I wasn't reading Bruce Mitchell or Wade Keller, this was a tip that there was something very wrong.

• Haha 4

17 hours ago, OSJ said:

BTW: For those of you who may have wondered about my silence the last three days, I was busy having fluid drained out of my lungs and otherwise enjoying a stay in the hospital. Just as a general tip, if you are getting winded walking from the bedroom to the kitchen, that's probably a sign that you need medical attention sooner rather than later. As I discovered, "toughing it out" does not work, at 1PM I was getting winded easily, by 3PM I was having trouble breathing just as a result of rolling over in bed, yeah, that was a pretty good indicator to call 911. As it so happens, one more day on my own would have been fatal... As it is, I am now as fit as a fiddle with the oddest medical advice that I've ever received. You know how we get that "eight glasses of water per day" stuff drummed into us from grade-school on? Apparently that's just so much bullshit and what led to my crises. Apparently anything over a liter per day is unnecessary and can be downright dangerous. In three days I dropped twelve pounds, all of it excess fluid, some of which was in places that you don't want fluid of any kind, like my lungs for example... So no more full pot of coffee followed by a six-pack of seltzer water over the course of the day... 

It varies by person how much fluid you need. Depends how well your body filters, I guess. No more grinding coffee with your own teeth and guzzling seltzer water at the same time.

Edited by Ryan
  • Haha 1

"What's hair?" says the guy who hasn't gotten a haircut since before the pandemic and is all but bald on top of his head except for the very thin junk left over. It's a sweet look.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

Every time I go more than two weeks without my typical .5 guard buzz, I get tempted to see if I can grow it back.  Then I take a close look at the weird patchy highways on top looking like some Minoru Suzuki shit except it's not on purpose and I realize that's never coming back in any appreciable way.

Yesterday the UK reached a dreadful milestone: 100,000 deaths from coronavirus. Bad decisions by those in power. Thank fuck for the National Health Service. I've lost my cousin and a family friend to COVID-19. Each number is a life of a loved one lost. My Dad badly broke his wrist in 2019 requiring major surgery and a stay in hospital. Thank God that didn't happen in 2020-2021. My thoughts go out to those around the world who have suffered from this dreadful virus and time we're currently living in. Stay safe. Love, Paul xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 4

I've had a bunch of family members get it, but have lucked out that none of them were the ones it would pick off easily so far. Young or beat the statistics basically.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Man this last week.

So like, on the last tuesday in January I accidentially apneate while laying on my side and have a massive panic attack about it. Kind of a come to jesus moment about my health. That wednesday I talk to my therapist and I'm like "ok we're back on this calorie counting starting immediately cuz this can't happen."

Last sunday, my sister expresses disappointment that I'm not trying harder to lose weight because she doesn't want to outlive me. Like... men in our family die early anyways so like I'm only so much in control of that, but regardless I'm already counting calories. This is not good enough. She proceeds to clash with me, over and over, for three days about this, saying tons of unfair and untrue and cruel things, doubling down every time I try to express "I'm already working on it and this thing you are doing is hurting me." The last day, I plead with her to understand that what she is doing is hurting me, and she insists I'm "addicted" (i don't know to what, that wasn't specified) and just continued to double down. At a point, I set the phone down and walk away, since the last text I saw had "Let me just say this and then you'll never have to worry about me again."

I didn't read whatever came next. After three days of being hurt over and over again, I'd had enough. She's blocked me on everything, and I don't think I'll ever read that stuff. I have theories as to what happened to her but they don't matter. No one in my life has ever been closer to me. She spent three days ripping me across every vital line I had over something I was already doing. I don't think I can let her be that close again.

I'm lucky that I have a broad and amazing friend group, one I've developed over the course of the pandemic and one that's done a lot to help me this week. There's a time in my life this would have devastated me, and instead they put out the fires by hearing me out. Now I just have bewilderment, and work to do to keep myself from internalizing any of what was said. I have good memories of my sister. I don't know who that person I talked to this week was.

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Sad 9

Lamp: It's said that we can pick our friends and can't pick our relatives. Well, bullshit on that! We might not be able to choose who we have blood relations to, but we can damn sure choose whom we associate with. I haven't spoken with my younger sister in years and am just fine with that. She's more of an automaton spouting whatever the latest trendy corporate buzzwords are than anything that a real human being might say. Just creepy.

All: Keep in mind that you have one weapon at your disposal that is certain to send the venal, petty, and humorless bastards screaming and gibbering into the night... That is to say the POWER OF POETRY!!! When faced with a pompous and annoying relative, co-worker, fan of Chris Jericho or Metallica, or similar loathsome entities drop this one on 'em and watch 'em run like Dr. Jerry Graham heading to an open bar:

I sit on the floor and pick my nose
and think of dirty things
Of deviant dwarves who suck their toes
and elves who drub their dings.

and dream exotic dreams
Of dragons who dress in rubber clothes
and trolls who do it in teams.

and wish for a thrill or two
For a goblin who goes in for a few no-nos
Or an orc with a thing about glue.

And all of the while I sit and pick
I think of such jolly things
Of whips and screws and leather slacks
Of frottages and stings.

Courtesy of Bored of the Rings by the staff of the Harvard Lampoon

On 2/7/2021 at 4:51 PM, OSJ said:

or Metallica

I wish I could object to such a thing but I've been to enough Metallica shows to know what you mean.  Thankfully unless proven otherwise I'm not a loathsome entity.

Also, I'm glad to have the COVID vaccine and got round two yesterday.  But man can I do without the flu-like symptoms as this sucks so bad.  On top of that I couldn't really call out as my co-worker got it yesterday as well and called out earlier.  But at least I'm working from home and can talk so I guess I'll deal with this for another hour or so.  But as soon as I clock I'm not doing shit the rest of the night aside from having things to help me out and watching wrestling.

EDIT:  And wouldn't you know it the next day I feel pretty damn great!  I still have lingering coughs at times but aside from that I feel good.  So now it's just waiting until two Mondays from now and I'll have a lot less to personally worry about regarding COVID.  Of course I'll still do the mask/washing/distance stuff anyway.

The only thing that tempers my excitement is that a couple of my friends got COVID.  One I hardly see but she's doing fine enough all things considered.  The other two work at the same place and while one got it last week the other got it Monday.  If it was me I'd see to shut the place down and re-assess how things are being handled (a couple previous cases happened there)  But they're doing fine enough.

All I know is I just want to fast forward to where we all have the vaccine and can actually hang out without fear.  I feel there's light at the end of the tunnel but it's hard to see that sometimes.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

Thanks goodness.  I know the US is slated to get up to 300 million by late fall but that's assuming that delivery's according to plan.  Let's just say I'm not holding my breath too tight on that one and leave it at that.

On a related note though my family all have appointments to get the vaccine which I'm quite happy about.  That's gonna be a huge relief for them and now I just need for my wife to get it.

• Like 4

I'm getting my first satanic cabal microchip implant tomorrow, my wife got hers today! We qualify in New Hampshire because we are the parents and caretakers of a child who is compromised, although under national guidelines I would fall under phase 1B because of my job. Considering I've had to travel the country throughout this entire pandemic thus far, I think it's about fucking time. 

• Like 2

Took my MIL & BIL to get their first shots today. My wife and mom have both had their first. I've gotten both shots. In just a few weeks, my family here in Spokane will all be done. 

The process for most of the community here is a total mess, at least for signing up. Fortunately, my mom heard Providence was having appointments today. I jumped online a couple days ago to sign up the MIL and BIL and it was extremely easy. 

Actually getting the shots has been very smooth and easy for everybody. 

• Like 2

I've known this family most of my life as we've bought pets from them. I also have an attachment to one of the kids because he has Cerebral Palsy though his is much worse than mine. I went on Facebook for the first time in three weeks on Thursday to find he passed away, 19. Gutted for the family. Home is not great either with constant arguing between my Dad and Sister, last weekend was especially horrible. I'm like Sheldon Cooper when that happens. Doesn't help the depression one bit. My body is aching, man.

Edited by The Natural
  • Sad 7

12 hours ago, The Natural said:

I've known this family most of my life as we've bought pets from them. I also have an attachment to one of the kids because he has Cerebral Palsy though his is much worse than mine. I went on Facebook for the first time in three weeks on Thursday to find he passed away, 19. Gutted for the family. Home is not great either with constant arguing between my Dad and Sister, last weekend was especially horrible. I'm like Sheldon Cooper when that happens. Doesn't help the depression one bit. My body is aching, man.

Stay strong, bro. It's not easy being the only adult in the room, but sometimes ya gotta be. Don't know which of the two would be the most receptive to hearing it, but the ol' "You can be right or you can be kind." usually gives 'em a bit of time to cool down. ?

• Like 1