DVDVR Message Board

UFC 254: Khabib vs. Gaethje (10/24/2020) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island)

Elsalvajeloco

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That was the fastest transition to a submission I've seen from someone who has never competed in world level Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ever. Absurd.

It wasn't just the transition into submission, that fucking takedown was absurd.  Seriously, he went from a double leg, to the back, to mount, to guard, to a triangle like there wasn't another world class fighter trying to stop him.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This makes sense for him to wrap it up. He's beaten the top guys in such a crazy fashion and the connection to his father was such an essential part of his fight life. 

I wasn't sure if Khabib would fight again with the death of his Dad. I'm not surprised by his retirement with how his Dad is such an integral part of him. When people retire, a good chunk come on back. I don't think Khabib will for those reasons.

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

It wasn't just the transition into submission, that fucking takedown was absurd.  Seriously, he went from a double leg, to the back, to mount, to guard, to a triangle like there wasn't another world class fighter trying to stop him.  

That takedown I expected because it's Khabib, but I remember when he was having trouble just putting a RNC on people early in his UFC career and would have back mount for like 12 or 13 minutes combined.

21 minutes ago, Jiji said:

Goat. 

15 minutes ago, Jiji said:

This makes sense for him to wrap it up. He's beaten the top guys in such a crazy fashion and the connection to his father was such an essential part of his fight life. 

ElH3H4uVMAAh9b4?format=jpg&name=small

29-0.

Dominance.

Dominance in the best and deepest weight class, Lightweight.

Never pissed hot. See: Jones, John and Silva, Anderson.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

People believe MMA retirements now? The dude has had eight fights in the last 6 years and there's no obvious next fight, he's going to take time off. Yes, I realize there's death and drama about, but MMA champs saying they're retiring post-fight still is what it is.

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That takedown I expected because it's Khabib, but I remember when he was having trouble just putting a RNC on people early in his UFC career and would have back mount for like 12 or 13 minutes combined.

Yeah, watching Khabib always makes me think, "Wow, you aren't supposed to be able to do that."  Technically, he's phenomenal, but the thing that makes him special is how little anyone else's phenomenal technique works against him.  It never mattered how good his opponent was at anything, his skills nullified all of it.  

1 minute ago, John E. Dynamite said:

People believe MMA retirements now? The dude has had eight fights in the last 6 years and there's no obvious next fight, he's going to take time off. Yes, I realize there's death and drama about, but MMA champs saying they're retiring post-fight still is what it is.

I believe Khabib, because his entire combat sports career was a father/son thing from the very beginning.  Seriously, I don't know how much money you need to live comfortably in Dagestan, but I'm sure he surpassed it years ago.

• Like 2

Re: retirement

The only reasons why Khabib to ever really fight again are :

1) GSP

2) Conor II

3) Ferguson

4) Maybe Usman

1 & 4 I don't really see happening because I don't think GSP really wants it. Plus, I don't think Khabib ever aspired to be a multi division champion. I think he was more aspiring to be the best guy ever in his weight class. He's probably the only guy or girl to ever win a UFC title in last several years who hasn't jumped weight classes.

2 would only be for money because I don't think Khabib sees that as a challenge. In addition, McGregor made such an ass out of himself in the buildup. Why do that again?

3 would really only happen if Ferguson ever went on another streak again, which the chances are really low seeing as he isn't facing folks like Katsunori Kikuno and Mike Rios anymore. Ferguson could win a few bouts, but I don't think it would mean as much to Khabib's legacy. What is Ferguson going throw at Khabib that he hadn't seen already?

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

Jesus. He got got that takedown off balance from a leg kick. And then  he went for exactly what he wanted. 

I believe Khabib when he says he's done. But I could see a scenario where his mother gives her blessing for him to take one more. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Re: retirement

The only reasons why Khabib to ever really fight again are :

1) GSP

2) Conor II

3) Ferguson

4) Maybe Usman

1 & 4 I don't really see happening because I don't think GSP really wants it. Plus, I don't think Khabib ever aspired to be a multi division champion. I think he was more aspiring to be the best guy ever in his weight class. He's probably the only guy or girl to ever win a UFC title in last several years who hasn't jumped weight classes.

2 would only be for money because I don't think Khabib sees that as a challenge. In addition, McGregor made such an ass out of himself in the buildup. Why do that again?

3 would really only happen if Ferguson ever went on another streak again, which the chances are really low seeing as he isn't facing folks like Katsunori Kikuno and Mike Rios anymore. Ferguson could win a few bouts, but I don't think it would mean as much to Khabib's legacy. What is Ferguson going throw at Khabib that he hadn't seen already?

5. Him and his Dad targeted the 30-0 Record as when he is done with the sport (I heard DC say it this week on ESPN 2). He takes time off someone bubbles up and he returns to achieve the number. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I have my doubts this retirement will stick, but I hope it does. Fighters are rarely able to accomplish what Khabib Nurmagomedov has and walk away undefeated as champion. They usually fight too long and end their careers on a losing streak.

5. Him and his Dad targeted the 30-0 Record as when he is done with the sport (I heard DC say it this week on ESPN 2). He takes time off someone bubbles up and he returns to achieve the number.

I hope it doesn't turn out this way, but history indicates it's a possibility.

Edited by TheVileOne

Superb, magical performance by Khabib .. but anyone else disappointed with Gaethje's performance? He seemed way over-excited / over-awed by the occasion; like a dynamo on the stool after R1, couldn't sit still, eyes darting everywhere. Shame as while Khabib was clearly prohibitive favourite for a reason, hoped Gaethje would offer something & this was probably Khabib's most straightforward win since .. not sure when.