DVDVR Message Board

America's Game: Missing Rings

Thomas Bugg

I feel like this series is more compelling than the original where they talk about the actual Super Bowl champions, because it expresses the pain and sorrows of those great teams that fell just short of the ultimate glory. They've already done the 1988 Cincinnati Bengals, the 1998 Minnesota Vikings, the 69 Vikings, the 1981 San Diego Chargers and a few others I can't think of off the top of my head, so what teams should have a special put together?

For me it's the 2002 Philadelphia Eagles. Yes, I'm biased, but it's MY thread, so kick rocks cuzz! But seriously, they overcame so much including losing McNabb and Koy Detmer to horrific injuries, and also this was the final year of The Vet before they moved to Lincoln Financial Field and the Eagles won home-field advantage through the playoffs. And the Falcons got steamrolled in the divisional playoffs, sending the Eagles to the NFC Championship for the 2nd year in a row, against a Tampa Bay team that had went 0 for 2 in the last two encounters in the playoffs, and were 0 for the century in cold weather games. And this was a COOOOOOLD weather game.

And then.....it happened. The moment that cripples us to this day, even after the Super Bowl.

In hindsight, maybe it wouldn't hurt so much if the game were in Tampa. But the fact that it was in Veterans Stadium, in the very last game there, with all the team's history, that's what makes it sting. 

So let's hear yours. And Ronde Barber, fuck you asshole!!!

The 1991 Detroit Lions.  An outstanding team.  12-4.  Beat AFC champions Buffalo - in Buffalo.  Destroyed the Cowboys in the playoffs.  Absolutely the best team in the NFL.

Except for the Redskins.

Washington was an all-time great team - just incredible.  9 years out of 10, Detroit wins the Super Bowl.  But... not 1991.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tabe said:

The 1991 Detroit Lions.  An outstanding team.  12-4.  Beat AFC champions Buffalo - in Buffalo.  Destroyed the Cowboys in the playoffs.  Absolutely the best team in the NFL.

Except for the Redskins.

Washington was an all-time great team - just incredible.  9 years out of 10, Detroit wins the Super Bowl.  But... not 1991.

Better than losing to GB when Barry has minus yards rushing in a playoff game. :(

• Like 1

I think the entire Bills run is the obvious choice. 

A weird one would be to look at the three years Tom Brady won MVP and lost in the Superbowl every year.

The would-be threepeat 49ers in 1990.

• Like 3

Fucking Stanley Wilson going on a coke bender the night before Super Bowl XXIII. Our whole offensive gameplan had to be completely scrapped at the last minute. Of all the painful losses I have ever endured from one of my teams that one was probably the worst along with the Charles Smith game vs the Bulls in 1993.

• Like 1

The 1986-1989 Browns have to be mentioned.  I think the only reason that Clay Matthews is not a hall of famer is because those teams never made it to the Super Bowl.  His daughter is constantly tweeting stuff like this, and she's 100% right...and Derrick Brooks was fucking incredible.

• Like 2

That was such a weird time, after 2 instances of That Fucker Elway getting in the way of the Browns, feeling like the whole state was suddenly changing course and pinning its hopes on the Bungles instead.

We really should have known better than that.  And yet the SB 23 loss is still the sense of inevitable pro sports despair that feels the most real.  

Though, I think I feel this way largely because I'm still expecting them to find 86 pounds of pine tar on David Tyree's helmet, but that Tagliabue and Goodell pulled some Oswald/Ruby shit to disappear that helmet.  So the incredulity/paranoia of the 18-1 season still outweigh the despair.

• Like 1