DVDVR Message Board

WRESTLEMANIA 33 POST SHOW THREAD

RIPPA

More thoughts on things I didn’t speak about:

Great presentation particularly the opening to WrestleMania package, the set, the fireworks and the entrances.

Surprise at AJ Styles and Shane McMahon opening the show. This was a very good match, easily one of Shane’s best more so as it was billed as a regular match which it was apart from the trash can use. Match went on a tad too long.

I really liked Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens but wrongly assumed the WWE United States title would change at the next RAW PPV in a gimmick match. The match was given the required time.

I still enjoyed the RAW Women’s Championship match between Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte vs. Nia Jax but it really needed more time with or without the elimination stipulation. Shame that. Bayley won with the Macho Man Elbow. I don’t mind when wrestlers win with a move you don’t expect or that reason, a match can end just like that instead of a finisher/finishers. I also enjoyed the WWE Smackdown Live Women’s Championship counterpart between Alexa Bliss, Naomi who won, Becky Lynch, Mickie James, Natalya and Carmella with the usual rules of that match when one pin or submission ends it.

Good on Miz getting the reactions/support like he did with Maryse against John Cena/Nikki Bella after the year he’s had. Miz had a banner year in the ring and more on the microphone. Poor Daniel having to watch Miz mock him with his signature taunt and kicks to the chest. Shame we didn’t get more of Maryse in the match.

Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar holds up on a repeat viewing, they deserve bonus marks for waking up the crowd who quietened down having to watch Triple H vs. Seth Rollins, a concert and Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton back to back. Both sucked. I was fading as both went on.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, Brian Fowler said:

There were botches in the match, but the Reigns/Taker storytelling was off the charts great

I'd argue that the botches actually added to the story. That it illustrated that Taker was officially in over his head and Reigns was going to do him in. Three to the head, Reigns killed Taker dead.

I'm going to have to go back and watch it, but the HHH/Rollins doesn't feel like it's going to age well for me.  We'll see.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Hello, @Burgundy LaRue. I'm also a Roman Reigns fan and agree with you that it was bittersweet for Reigns taking out THE man in WWE. My LOL comment was directed only at WWE's unfortunate caption: "#WWE is #RomanReigns hard."

Hope you're well xxx

Oh, boy!  I'll get you fitted for a vest and gloves. I'm on the board of Roman Reigns Empire Club.  I'll get you in.  You won't even have to recite the sufferin' succotash promo as part of your initiation.  You know people in high places!

You're right about WWE's captions.  They never get that right, SMH.

Hope you're doing well.

• Like 1

There was the but with the chair where Reigns looked really to END Taker, and then he stopped, and I read it as him going "aw God I don't want to destroy him, I'm just going to spear him and get the win... Holy fuck he kicked out shit now I have to hurt him more"

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

There was the but with the chair where Reigns looked really to END Taker, and then he stopped, and I read it as him going "aw God I don't want to destroy him, I'm just going to spear him and get the win... Holy fuck he kicked out shit now I have to hurt him more"

Yeah, there was a great sequence when Taker kicked out of the third spear and Reigns has the look of 'how am I going to finish this bastard?' Then Taker tries to sit up, but falls over and Reigns is in the corner looking like 'damn, maybe I've done enough and I'll just spear him once more and call it a night.'

But it becomes obvious Taker is DONE and Reigns starting to wonder, then doubt whether he should actually Old Yeller the man. That was his original plan, but Reigns didn't know the old man was in such bad shape and now he feels bad for wanting this fight. Tells Taker to stay put, but it ain't going down like that. Taker realizes he needs to eat the bullet because he doesn't want anyone's sympathy and he ain't coming back from this fight, but the kid is hesitating. And understanding what needs to be done, tells Roman he ain't got the balls to finish what he started.  Fully aware Roman does have it in him, he just needs that last push to do it.

And with that, Reigns does the triple-rope running spear and buries the Phenom for good.

A+ storytelling.

• Like 6

Another thing that I see a lot people missed from Taker/Roman was the moment Taker is crawling to the chair and Roman steps on it, shaking his head at Taker. It was a direct callback to the spot in the HiaC when Taker steps on the sledgehammer and tells HHH "Nope." right before he puts HHH out of his misery. The storytelling in the match was all full circle-like and awesome to me.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Overly Critical Man said:

Another thing that I see a lot people missed from Taker/Roman was the moment Taker is crawling to the chair and Roman steps on it, shaking his head at Taker. It was a direct callback to the spot in the HiaC when Taker steps on the sledgehammer and tells HHH "Nope." right before he puts HHH out of his misery. The storytelling in the match was all full circle-like and awesome to me.

That was a nice touch. Forgot to bring it up.

The storytelling was A+ it's just a shame that Taker didn't have much left in the tank. 

@Burgundy LaRue I believe Meltzer said that Taker originally wanted Cena to end him which makes perfect sense to me going way back to Cena's start over on Smackdown.  There's history there and Cena is the guy over the past decade.  But supposedly Vince said Roman. I don't know if that's true but it makes sense, Cena kind of referred to the rumors in a promo once and it seemed like at one point Miz and Maryse were supposed to get Ambrose/Renee.  But it's unclear because it's also been reported that when Vince found out about Cena and Nikki he wanted to do a marriage thing.

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The storytelling was A+ it's just a shame that Taker didn't have much left in the tank.

@Burgundy LaRue I believe Meltzer said that Taker originally wanted Cena to end him which makes perfect sense to me going way back to Cena's start over on Smackdown.  There's history there and Cena is the guy over the past decade.  But supposedly Vince said Roman. I don't know if that's true but it makes sense, Cena kind of referred to the rumors in a promo once and it seemed like at one point Miz and Maryse were supposed to get Ambrose/Renee.  But it's unclear because it's also been reported that when Vince found out about Cena and Nikki he wanted to do a marriage thing.

Such a shame the Undertaker vs. John Cena never happened at a WrestleMania. For ages that was my dream WWE match.

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Such a shame the Undertaker vs. John Cena never happened at a WrestleMania. For ages that was my dream WWE match.

I remember you talking about it every year lol.  I wanted to see it also especially during the streak.  I also wanted Taker/Sting. I thought that damn fan art was a real poster and we were finally getting Taker/Sting.  Sadly it was a fake and it never happened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah, that's where details get jumbled.  Miz/Maryse vs Dean/Renee was definitely being considered but got dropped quickly.

It was rumored that Vince always wanted to do a Taker/Roman match as a passing of the torch moment.  But they probably thought they had another year to do it.  Once Taker said this year was his last, choices had to be made.  And since they're clearly setting Nikki up to be the lynchpin on their reality show universe, her and Cena getting engaged at WM was too good to pass up.

Another thing to consider is that Lesnar's contract expires at WM 34.  So if Reigns is supposed to beat Lesnar in a battle of the 2 in 23-2, that pretty much has to happen in New Orleans.  Lesnar may re-sign, but who knows with him.

It'll be a while before we really know. A lot of theories and for once, they all make some sense.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The Natural said:

WrestleMania XXXIII behind the scenes photos:

029_WM_04022017ej_0406--66ebc4188e7e18f4f1dbff630f5a2940.jpg

I will always say Baron Corbin looks creepy & weird when he's smiling. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 7:26 PM, quackhell said:

I thought he looked terrible in the Elimination Chamber. Everything he does is soft and weak and doesn't look legit. I am not asking for strong style stiff, but man he is just lazy. His diving light shove through the ropes, his careful bumping, bracing his head on back suplexes etc...for a lunatic he sure is awfully cautious. Also dogging it in a bad program just makes it very awful. Corbin was willing to try and make something of it and Dean gave him nothing. Ambrose being Ambrose indeed. 

I didn't say he looked good in the EC I said he actually went out there and gave a damn but I understand your responding to vent your dislike of all things Ambrose including the fact you don't want him to wrestle stiff BUT he doesn't wrestle stiff enough for you and actually protects himself at times.

He's a lunatic so he should go out there and take stupid bumps every move so he can elevate that young up and comer Baron Corbin because hey he played in the NFL who cares if he's a total carry job with 0 charisma that couldn't cut a promo to save his life.