DVDVR Message Board

A Reality Show on Mars?

Fat Spanish Waiter

Considering the dangers of life on a planet without an electromagnetic field this is perfect. It is good using people that want to be reality TV show stars as lab rats. No real loss when things go bad which it inevitably will. Better than potentially throwing away the life of a few highly trained/skilled engineers and scientists. Who knows had this been around years ago we might have been spared The Miz.

• Like 1

If someone came up to me and said "We want you to be on this show", it would take a good long think for me to decide, and that's including the likelihood that Earth would be forever closed off to me even if I did survive to live out something like a full lifespan.

Possibly related: If someone came up to me and offered me a ride into space, then, (after confirming they are not crazy, scammers, or hitting on me,) I'd take it in a heartbeat. That's just fucking cool.

The Mars thing? How often do most of us get the chance to be on the absolute forefront of human endeavor? And the cost is what, inability to lead a normal life? Hardly seems a thing to aspire to, by comparison.

If that makes me stupid, so be it.

I'm pretty sure I almost died on Mission: Space at Disneyworld and as a result of my distress failed to reach and press the green button, which was my only job on the mission. 

So, I have no doubt that the G forces on takeoff would burst every capillary in my brain and my death rattle would likely result in the entire launch vehicle careening into the nearest populated city.

Seriously some of you are the biggest pussies ever.

OH NOES I COULD DIE IN SPACE like you're all living wondeful fulfilling lives now.

Fuck I decided years ago I want to end it all in one of those pods from 2001: A Space Odyssey listening to Miles Davis Bitches Brew and when the song ends the pod explodes. I can live with that when the time comes.

• Like 1

I actually find the idea fascinating.  Not as a standard reality show, but how the society there would develop.  I mean, they wouldn't be under the jurisdiction of any country (possibly of the company that is putting this together?) and how would laws be applied, and how would you adjust to life there?

Of course, I highly doubt it's going to ever actually happen.

I'm pretty sure I almost died on Mission: Space at Disneyworld and as a result of my distress failed to reach and press the green button, which was my only job on the mission. 

So, I have no doubt that the G forces on takeoff would burst every capillary in my brain and my death rattle would likely result in the entire launch vehicle careening into the nearest populated city.

... Was that the fucking thing with the space alien transformation in the middle of the event deal that they had in the mid to late 90's? If so, that was the first ride I ever went on at Disneyworld. I was 8.

I fucking hated Disneyworld.

Anyway, if you guys decide never seeing any member of your family ever again, all to most likely die crashing into the red planet, that's your call I guess.

I'm amazed they haven't done a fake one of these already.

Where they have a bunch of idiots who think they are actually training to go to Mars and make them do all sorts of idiotic stuff while we laugh at them...and then put them through some simulated launch and have it malfunction so they shit their pants...and then set them up somewhere barren and tell them they're on Mars and then have some guy in a monster suit attack them.

If they did it right, maybe they could have the Martians test to see if the "contestants" were willing to betray earth to save their own lives and help the Martians invade by telling them all about us and our biology and our cities. 

And if they refuse, and die as free proud Earthians, they end up winning a MILLION DOLLARS!  And if they cave, and betray the home world, they are sent to prison for aiding our potential enemies who may be monitoring out broadcasts for signs of weakness.

• Like 6

Where they have a bunch of idiots who think they are actually training to go to Mars and make them do all sorts of idiotic stuff while we laugh at them...and then put them through some simulated launch and have it malfunction so they shit their pants...and then set them up somewhere barren and tell them they're on Mars and then have some guy in a monster suit attack them.

Amazing. God, I hope that's what this is.

• Like 1

We've already done something like this.  2004, The WB, Superstar USA.  Had Tone Loc in on it and everything.

I have zero desire to watch people like Russell Hantz and the real house wives realize they have made a horrible mistake 30 seconds after leaving earth and then slowly die from starvation and ineptitude. I hope I'm in the majority, but that hope is probably in vain.

I have zero desire to watch people like Russell Hantz and the real house wives realize they have made a horrible mistake 30 seconds after leaving earth and then slowly die from starvation and ineptitude. I hope I'm in the majority, but that hope is probably in vain.

Can we still do this and just not film it.  I mean, we'd have to change the label from a "pilot episode" to a "sentencing" but I think we can win-win this motherfucker.

• Like 1

I think we should send a rocket full of diehard Ayn Rand fans to Mars so that they can start a libertarian utopia.  Of course, their society will inevitably die out because they have no women among them.

Just imagine what will be left.  Their sad pod careening through space forever blasting "Tom Sawyer" into the abyss.