DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 18: Johnson vs. Bader (1/30/2016) - Newark, NJ (Prudential Center)

Elsalvajeloco

I wonder if the UFC/Sean Shelby would do Rivera vs. Sterling because that could sell a good amount of tickets alone if you put it in the Northeast (preferably NY/NJ).

For me, it's like the Quigg vs. Frampton matchup of MMA. You got the guy who is kinda rough around the edges and finds ways to win versus the more technically refined fighter who you can readily see how he could finish fights. You would think it's a nightmare matchup for Rivera, but Sterling usually measures his opponent to get a sense of what his opponent has. Then, he flips the switches and goes off. Against someone like Rivera, that could cost him a crucial round if he doesn't finish.

That's a fight I wanna see.

• Like 1

Well hope you enjoyed being in the top 5 in the division for a brief time Bader because probably will be the last time.  I just don't see him having another long run like this one.

Rumble is just a bad bad man.  

Bader's good enough to get to around this spot, he just doesn't have the tools to become an elite level contender or champion.  

Johnson's power is scary.  Bader is a good wrestler, but he's never had the wrestling that would give a guy like Johnson problems.

Anthony Johnson has down syndrome inducing power.

My homeboy sent me this text when Rumble got Bader's back: "Welp, time for Ryan to forget who he is for a few hours."

I felt so, so dirty for laughing at that.

• Like 3

Per Dave Sholler, Cormier vs. Jones II will be announced in the next few days. So I'm guessing Rumble will get his shot in September or October.

Provided Jones isn't feeling its time for a heavyweight experiment.

Even though I really think he wants to go up, I think he reasonably knows that beating Anthony could pretty much clears the way for heavyweight.  Whereas, the heavyweight champ still has to fight Miocic, Rothwell, and Overeem who is probably negotiating signing a new deal to get a direct title shot. Unless they remake Miocic vs. Rothwell, which is certainly possible, you're looking at Jones vs. the heavyweight champion no sooner than SuperBowl weekend of 2017.

You can save the trouble and make those two title fights at LHW before moving on.

• Like 1

The people who thought Ryan Bader could beat Anthony Johnson don't realize he's not a man with Cormier's pure skill and grinding ability, not to mention chin.  Cormier has a great chin, while Bader's has frequently been questionable.  Cormier is a better pure wrestler than Bader by far.  Johnson had no trouble dealing with Phil Davis' wrestling, and Bader and Davis fought and pretty much cancelled each other out.  This was basically like another Phil Davis match up for Johnson.  

Davis is another dude  who is athletically gifted, great wrestler, but bad transitions, bad striking and doesn't like getting hit.

I don't even think Phil Davis is a bad striker. His built makes it incredibly difficult to be a diverse, technical striker just like a Brock Lesnar. I mean there were heavyweights built like that in boxing back in like the 70s and 80s, but those dudes spent a large part of their life boxing. Phil Davis wrestled prior to getting into MMA. He can flatline dudes as the Carmont fight showed, but that's going to be very few and far between.