DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

PSN consistently makes me want to tear my hair out and throw the console out the window. Especially the store. I pretty much have switched over ot just using the PSN store on my PC now, because I can't deal with that shit on consoles constantly crashing, stuff that I bought not showing up in my library, kicking me to blue idle screens where the only way out is to reboot the console, etc.

The blank blue screen thing has been fixed, I believe.

I agree that the PSN store on the console is awkward at best. Personally, I like using the web site because I can make my purchases during the afternoon and have them already downloaded and waiting for me when I get home later.

I have a launch console, and I don't recall there being an issue really. There's been times where the Store has been down, but that's usually tied with a Network outage. Plus, as everyone has said, the online store is just better because you can navigate and group purchases together.

PSN consistently makes me want to tear my hair out and throw the console out the window. Especially the store. I pretty much have switched over ot just using the PSN store on my PC now, because I can't deal with that shit on consoles constantly crashing, stuff that I bought not showing up in my library, kicking me to blue idle screens where the only way out is to reboot the console, etc.

The blank blue screen thing has been fixed, I believe.

I agree that the PSN store on the console is awkward at best. Personally, I like using the web site because I can make my purchases during the afternoon and have them already downloaded and waiting for me when I get home later.

I had the blue screen while trying to download Guns Up! after PSX.

I agree with you about the PC store (XBone does this too, for the record) except for the time I got home and none of my purchases actually downloaded even though they said they did. That was a wasted night.

Also FWIW I'm very interested to see if the "Big 3" possible Valve games (L4D3, Portal 3, and Half-Life 3) ever come out for console. L4D3 is pretty much finished at this point from what I heard. Portal 3 is a definite because Valve likes money, and Half-Life 3 is more of a matter of if and not when. I could very well see all of those games be made exclusive to Steam even though Valve has a history and isn't afraid of the console market.

Valve has stuck pretty well to their word so far about no longer seeing it worthwhile to put resources into making single player experiences like Portal / Half Life.

Translated: Valve hate money

I recently Platinum'ed Life Is Strange and Tales from the Borderlands.

Life Is Strange is simply incredible. If there's an argument for video games to be a better medium for art, it's there with that game.

Tales From The Borderlands was great too -- felt like The Coen Brothers directing Star Wars.

Now I'm working on Telltale's Game of Thrones and got done with Episode 1. Woah.

I grew to dislike the Telltale GOT game with each new episode. I got so annoyed w episode six i stopped playing the game and read the plot. Glad i did. And the buffering and synch issues got worse with each episode.

The Fables game they did was much better.

Also FWIW I'm very interested to see if the "Big 3" possible Valve games (L4D3, Portal 3, and Half-Life 3) ever come out for console. L4D3 is pretty much finished at this point from what I heard. Portal 3 is a definite because Valve likes money, and Half-Life 3 is more of a matter of if and not when. I could very well see all of those games be made exclusive to Steam even though Valve has a history and isn't afraid of the console market.

Valve has stuck pretty well to their word so far about no longer seeing it worthwhile to put resources into making single player experiences like Portal / Half Life.

No, they realized that DOTA and Team Fortress generate more money for less work, and there's no reason to invest AAA budgets for AAA returns when they can make more buying people's souls for a hat.

• Like 1

On that subject there is somthing I find odd about Steam. Why aren't there official PC ports of cash cow "free2play" games like Clash of Clans and Boom Beach on it? There are plenty of other mobile game ports there... including one or two knockoffs in that genre.

I'm not saying I'm just dying to play Clash of Clans on Steam, but it seems weird to me none of the major cash cow games in that genre (and they are MASSIVE revenue generators) have a Steam port.

I think in a lot of cases it boils down to things that are fun in mobile (or "fun") not being that much fun when you're tied to a laptop or desktop.  Additionally, he F2P business model in PC games leans a lot more toward permanent items and mid-term "boosts" than the upgrade taxes, continue tokens and short-term boosts of mobile.

I'm on episode 2 of Tales from the Borderlands. It's just not grabbing me for some reason. I may be getting sick of the Telltale gimmick.

Tales from the Borderlands gets better by the end of the game. With that intro to Episode 2, I don't see how it doesn't grab you.

And I'm done with Episode 2 of GoT and I hate everything in it. Apparently the whole point of Game of Thrones is so that the good guys get fucked each and every time. Fuck that shit. That's not good writing, that's just a cop-out to show 'shades of grey.'

I think in a lot of cases it boils down to things that are fun in mobile (or "fun") not being that much fun when you're tied to a laptop or desktop.  Additionally, he F2P business model in PC games leans a lot more toward permanent items and mid-term "boosts" than the upgrade taxes, continue tokens and short-term boosts of mobile.

Okay sure but even if we take every word of this to be true why are so many lower tier mobile games (who are less in a position financially to develop an alternate platform) seeing value in Steam that the big boys don't? Only thing I can think of is they're so big they simply don't care about whatever limited expansion PC would provide. But even then it seems to fly in the face of general corporate greed strategy where constant growth is seen as a necessity even when it's not.

No, they realized that DOTA and Team Fortress generate more money for less work, and there's no reason to invest AAA budgets for AAA returns when they can make more buying people's souls for a hat.

Wait, don't you people see the needless greed that this brings?

"But look! That character has a new hat!"

I'm on episode 2 of Tales from the Borderlands. It's just not grabbing me for some reason. I may be getting sick of the Telltale gimmick.

Tales from the Borderlands gets better by the end of the game. With that intro to Episode 2, I don't see how it doesn't grab you.

And I'm done with Episode 2 of GoT and I hate everything in it. Apparently the whole point of Game of Thrones is so that the good guys get fucked each and every time. Fuck that shit. That's not good writing, that's just a cop-out to show 'shades of grey.'

It gets much worse.

Half Life 3 long ago entered into Duke Nukem Forever territory where even if it happens someday there's no reason any rational person should actually expect it to be good.

I don't think that's remotely accurate. Everyone knew Duke Nukem was in development. It graced magazine covers. Had release dates. Missed them. Was delayed for any number of reasons. And then the studio shut down.

Not once has Valve ever said they were working on Half-Life 3. If it does come out one day, why wouldn't you think it would be a good game? There's no history of problems with making it or delays in releasing it. For all we know, it's not something that's being worked on. You can look at the people employed by Valve. None of those guys are working on some big mystery game that would require the staff a game like Half-Life 3 would require. It's very likely that Half-Life 3 isn't coming out because they're not making it. 

Diablo 3 season 5 starts later this evening. Just like previous patches/seasons I'll play for a bit then wait for the next. Diablo has come so far from the start until now. 

I'll be leveling by Barbarian. Love the rebirth feature so I can use Odell. My Barb that I started D3 with on day one. Should be a blast to play!

• Like 2

Diablo 3 season 5 starts later this evening. Just like previous patches/seasons I'll play for a bit then wait for the next. Diablo has come so far from the start until now. 

I'll be leveling by Barbarian. Love the rebirth feature so I can use Odell. My Barb that I started D3 with on day one. Should be a blast to play!

I'll be rebirthing Jennova the Wizard. I really like how Blizzard's keeping the game fresh without charging for it.

• Like 2

I felt this way about A Wolf Among Us at first but it grew on me. I think after I finish Game Of Thrones on Telltale I may just leave it to playing the Telltale Walking Dead games as there really isn't much different gimmick wise from game to game. 

It gets much worse.

Well, George R.R. Martin can't write worth a damn then. People give him money so he can write his terrible books and grow his neckbeard. Have the good guys kick some ass, ok? If I wrote Game of Thrones fanfiction, I would have time travel and one of the families (Starks or something) find Tony Stark and he builds a fuckin' atomic bomb and drop it on Roose Balton's house. What are they going to do then? Fight the Starks with swords?

• Like 2

I'll be rebirthing Jennova the Wizard. I really like how Blizzard's keeping the game fresh without charging for it.

I've been farming rifts the last week trying to get set pieces for my witch doctor that I started with (and OMG I just discovered how much I love Angry Chicken) and a co-worker suggested I play a wizard for this season.  I'll probably get a start on that this weekend.

It gets much worse.

Well, George R.R. Martin can't write worth a damn then. People give him money so he can write his terrible books and grow his neckbeard. Have the good guys kick some ass, ok? If I wrote Game of Thrones fanfiction, I would have time travel and one of the families (Starks or something) find Tony Stark and he builds a fuckin' atomic bomb and drop it on Roose Balton's house. What are they going to do then? Fight the Starks with swords?

He didn't write the game. Are you playing the game without having read the books or seen the show? That's not too clever.