DVDVR Message Board

2016 VIDEO GAME CATCH-ALL THREAD

Gonzo

I enjoyed Borderlands 1 enough that I cashed in a Christmas Amazon gift card on Borderlands 2 GOTY and the Pre-Sequel (which is 70% off on the Canadian site right now). I mean what the hell, it's free money, might as well enjoy myself with it. Pretty hard to go wrong on a freeroll.

I normally don't buy consoles until they are out for at least two years. So I have to ask, is the PS4 a good buy right now? I'm kinda thinking getting either that or just saving up a couple hundred more dollars and going into PC Gaming fully.

You asked specifically about PS4, but I'll tell you both consoles are very strong right now and absolutely worth buying. I tend to lean XBone, but there's great times to be had on PS4 too.

I normally don't buy consoles until they are out for at least two years. So I have to ask, is the PS4 a good buy right now? I'm kinda thinking getting either that or just saving up a couple hundred more dollars and going into PC Gaming fully.

You asked specifically about PS4, but I'll tell you both consoles are very strong right now and absolutely worth buying. I tend to lean XBone, but there's great times to be had on PS4 too.

It's very much down to exclusives. I'm super happy with my PS4 but I really wish I had Forza. BUT when SFV comes out next month, I'll be glad I stayed with PlayStation as per my usual.

Also, 1080p is better than 720/900p.

Step One: Go to the wiki page for Playstation 4 games.

Two: Click the Excls column title twice so that all the 'Yes's are at the top.

Three: Look at the games in the Yes and Sony categories and decide how happily you can live without them.

Well there's more to a console than just exclusive games, but after looking at that list the only games I'm interested in are Destiny, Bloodborne maybe the new FFVII game. I don't know if $450 for three games is really worth it.

Fuck it. I'll just stick to trying to complete my PS1 collection.

It's very much down to exclusives. I'm super happy with my PS4 but I really wish I had Forza. BUT when SFV comes out next month, I'll be glad I stayed with PlayStation as per my usual.

I'm in this camp. I have a PS4, but I really wish I could play Forza and Halo 5. On the other hand, if I had an Xbone instead of a PS4, I wouldn't have MLB: The Show, and all of my friends have PS4s. We all had 360s and that was our system and then all it took was a couple of us getting a PS4 and the rest wound up doing the same.

So yeah, it comes down to exclusives and the system you have more friends on. 

Well there's more to a console than just exclusive games, but after looking at that list the only games I'm interested in are Destiny, Bloodborne maybe the new FFVII game. I don't know if $450 for three games is really worth it.

I know you were probably just throwing out a number, but both consoles can be gotten for $350 now (with games bundled), if that helps :) Hell, the Gears of War XBox One bundle is only $299.

I'm in this camp. I have a PS4, but I really wish I could play Forza and Halo 5. On the other hand, if I had an Xbone instead of a PS4, I wouldn't have MLB: The Show, and all of my friends have PS4s. We all had 360s and that was our system and then all it took was a couple of us getting a PS4 and the rest wound up doing the same.

So yeah, it comes down to exclusives and the system you have more friends on.

Plus, of course, whether you want a stable online network or an unstable one.

PSN consistently makes me want to tear my hair out and throw the console out the window. Especially the store. I pretty much have switched over ot just using the PSN store on my PC now, because I can't deal with that shit on consoles constantly crashing, stuff that I bought not showing up in my library, kicking me to blue idle screens where the only way out is to reboot the console, etc.

I know you were probably just throwing out a number, but both consoles can be gotten for $350 now (with games bundled), if that helps :) Hell, the Gears of War XBox One bundle is only $299.

Yes but plus PSN Plus and games I want and PSN cards I'll probably end up spending about $450.

I've actually never had any issues using the PSN store so I can't really relate. I find it more maddening that I can't get the free XBox 360 games through my XBox One, but I am required to use the website through a mandated loophole that I'd think they be able to fix (I have heard they are working on it).

But I love both my systems, they are shiny.

Also FWIW I'm very interested to see if the "Big 3" possible Valve games (L4D3, Portal 3, and Half-Life 3) ever come out for console. L4D3 is pretty much finished at this point from what I heard. Portal 3 is a definite because Valve likes money, and Half-Life 3 is more of a matter of if and not when. I could very well see all of those games be made exclusive to Steam even though Valve has a history and isn't afraid of the console market.

I've actually never had any issues using the PSN store so I can't really relate. I find it more maddening that I can't get the free XBox 360 games through my XBox One, but I am required to use the website through a mandated loophole that I'd think they be able to fix (I have heard they are working on it).

This is true, that is ridiculous. They need to fix this soon. Not just for the free Games with Gold, but also if I wanna buy a 360 game!

PSN has worked pretty flawlessly for me. The worst was just after Destiny came out where it kept going down due to attacks. And the Store on the PS3 was so slow. Since then, PSN has worked just fine, including downloading things. I just purchased Fallout 4 recently and it downloaded super fast.

I always assumed that I would end up getting a PS4 like I ended up getting most of Sony's platforms but considering I'm always likely to have some form of PC in the future (be it an infini-core Google ear ring or whatever) the argument for me getting one boils down to Do I want to play Bloodborne? I don't even like my PC as a gaming platform but if another Big Box is going to be added to my collection it needs to be able to offer something the others can't, and unless you're sticking with your current PC forever then you don't want to be at risk of a few 'Game X found in Steam database' announcements giving you buyers' remorse. (PS FFVII will show up elsewhere at some point).

Also FWIW I'm very interested to see if the "Big 3" possible Valve games (L4D3, Portal 3, and Half-Life 3) ever come out for console. L4D3 is pretty much finished at this point from what I heard. Portal 3 is a definite because Valve likes money, and Half-Life 3 is more of a matter of if and not when. I could very well see all of those games be made exclusive to Steam even though Valve has a history and isn't afraid of the console market.

Valve has stuck pretty well to their word so far about no longer seeing it worthwhile to put resources into making single player experiences like Portal / Half Life.

Ignoring the actual downtime (which has definitely been a bigger problem for Sony then Microsoft) I've never had a single one of those PSN issues Fresh mentioned either, on my PS3 or PS4.

The PS4 user interface seems to be much hated, but I really like it, and still hate the newer XBone ui. YMMV

PSN consistently makes me want to tear my hair out and throw the console out the window. Especially the store. I pretty much have switched over ot just using the PSN store on my PC now, because I can't deal with that shit on consoles constantly crashing, stuff that I bought not showing up in my library, kicking me to blue idle screens where the only way out is to reboot the console, etc.

The blank blue screen thing has been fixed, I believe.

I agree that the PSN store on the console is awkward at best. Personally, I like using the web site because I can make my purchases during the afternoon and have them already downloaded and waiting for me when I get home later.

• Like 1