DVDVR Message Board

2015 NCAAF: Week 8

Dolfan in NYC

SEC affiliation, a dedicated fanbase, university/community support, fewer chances for players to engage in a nightlife/lifestyle that could get them in major trouble, where the weather/golfing is just as good with 10 wins and a late-season bowl keeping most happy.  I'd take the South Carolina job over Miami in a minute.

Call me crazy but I would take living in South Florida over living in Columbia, South Carolina. I imagine that with Miami, anything you could do would be better than what they currently have. 

Where a job is located, from a social/recreational perspective, means nothing to college coaches, because they have zero leisure time. There is no offseason in college football. If you're chilling on the golf course, someone else is in your recruit's living room.

SEC affiliation, a dedicated fanbase, university/community support, fewer chances for players to engage in a nightlife/lifestyle that could get them in major trouble, where the weather/golfing is just as good with 10 wins and a late-season bowl keeping most happy.  I'd take the South Carolina job over Miami in a minute.

Call me crazy but I would take living in South Florida over living in Columbia, South Carolina. I imagine that with Miami, anything you could do would be better than what they currently have. 

You're underestimating SC's appeal.  All indications is that it's quite attractive.  It depends on whether a super-active nightlife is what you want.  If so, Miami is definitely the better option.  And it has more international appeal.  But I also imagine your salary goes a lot further in SC than Miami and you'd probably get a lot of house for your dollar.

Let's be honest, though--do we really think the top 5-10 college football coaches have social lives?  Nope.  As long as the wife is happy in that town, the coach doesn't care about country clubs and potluck dinners.

If you're a college football coach, you want to be in a job where you don't have to fight with your university president/board of trustees every step of the way.  Miami is ripe with recruits, but dealing with bad facilities and little support from those in charge are huge negatives.  Those negatives are job-related, which is more important than where to have dinner during their off-week.

SEC affiliation, a dedicated fanbase, university/community support, fewer chances for players to engage in a nightlife/lifestyle that could get them in major trouble, where the weather/golfing is just as good with 10 wins and a late-season bowl keeping most happy. I'd take the South Carolina job over Miami in a minute.

More importantly, Miami's facilities stink and you gotta drive across town to get to the stadium. Coaches care way more about that stuff.

Never been prouder of the Alma Mater than I am tonight. Georgia Tech has nothing left to play for, and had no reason to show the guts that they did. Kids fought their hearts out. FIGHT. WIN. DRINK. GET NAKED!!!!!!

I am coming back from a Flyers game and the NJT train I am on stops at New Brunswick next so I have to deal with a horde of drunk college kids from the Rutgers game. Dear God please help me.