DVDVR Message Board

2015 NBA OFFSEASON

Cole Miner

Hawks buyout Danny Ferry

Budenholzer is becoming team President along with being coach

Isn't this twice when Ferry seems to being a decent job, only to get muscled out? 

I'm pretty sure his muscling out has more to do with the recorded racist comments about Luol Deng than it does a power play or a bad job. He's been on administrative leave for almost a year now.

• Like 1

Hawks buyout Danny Ferry

Budenholzer is becoming team President along with being coach

Isn't this twice when Ferry seems to being a decent job, only to get muscled out? 

I'm pretty sure his muscling out has more to do with the recorded racist comments about Luol Deng than it does a power play or a bad job. He's been on administrative leave for almost a year now.

Sorry, forgot about that. . . .

It's funny because I think I get what he was trying to say? Which was something along the lines of Deng might not be as healthy as he looks. Which is true, but he veered hard racist for some unknown reason and it made his point irrelevant.

Do people not understand how odds work?  Some people seem surprised that the Cavs are favored to win the title next season. Why wouldn't they be? They have LeBron, they play in the East and Kyrie and possibly Love will be back.  But the most important aspect is they have LeBron and play in the East.  Let me repeat.  Play in the east. 

Them being favored does not mean odds makers think they are better than Golden State.

Man would a Love/Okafor combo be great on offense... and the worst rim protection in the association

Yeah, but the Lakers defense has been awful the past 2 seasons. Okafor would actually be an upgrade at D than Jordan Hill or Sacre were. This is assuming Okafor's the pick. Could be Russell, Porzingis or Mudiay.  They'd still be bad on D because of how many holes they have on the team.

It got crazy for about 2-3 hours with all the Lakers rumors w/ Wade (probably not happening), Chad Ford saying Lakers were locked in on Okafor a few hours ago, suddenly Woj writes an article about D'Angelo Russell wanting to be a Laker and then the Boogie Cousins trade rumor.

Kinda weird that the rumor mentions Lakers would get Cousins and the 6th pick. Also, why is Orlando always in these Laker center rumors? They always seem involved in these.

There's always a bunch of trade rumors that don't happen before the draft.

Rumblings.  Lakers trying to get a trade going for Boogie. If you're the Kings, do you take the chance on Towns/Okafor and give up Cousins? 

A definite yes for Towns. I don't think Okafor is a good enough defender to warrant losing Cousins. Even if all signs still point to Cousins being a perennial loser. At least with him there is a chance someone can finally get through to him. You're 6'11" 270 lbs and hit 80% of your free throws. Stop chucking up 20 footers and get inside and dominate. 76th in the league in offensive win shares. Tied with Omer Asik. He's too talented to be tied with Asik. I lean towards Cousins benefiting from being around Kobe. It could be a disaster but I think a veteran presence would help. Would be fun either way. Cousins really is great defensively. I can't believe how often I read someone say he is like Vucevic or Love.  If you judge him by standard stats, advanced stats, or the NBA.com tracker he's a stud. He does this while crying at the refs the whole time and/or in foul trouble. Imagine if he was focused.

*Kings have the 6th pick and a very young team still. Cousins is under contract long enough that they really don't even need to be making this call right now.

Edited by Cole Miner

Rumblings.  Lakers trying to get a trade going for Boogie. If you're the Kings, do you take the chance on Towns/Okafor and give up Cousins? 

Yes, but the Kings will do anything. Whether a sane franchise would do it or not. . . Basically the question is, do you want a star player now, or cross your fingers and pray the kids develop into one. I wouldn't do it, but I'm not an NBA expert. . . .

ESPN ran an article on Okafor today. It had some encouraging info in it.

Okafor has taken the criticism to heart and has been working since May to address the biggest critique made against him: that he lacks the athleticism to dominate the NBA. He has been working for two months with the folks at P3 (the Peak Performance Project) to change his body and his game. His body is leaner than it's ever been. His stomach is toned. And his athleticism has improved significantly.

I profiled P3 a few years ago. It provides complete biomechanical and neuromuscular assessments to athletes and then helps them improve on weaknesses. This is a place on the cutting edge of where sports training is going in the next decade. Now that the NBA has contracted them to do pre-draft testing, P3 has hundreds of NBA players in its database to compare to Okafor.

"On Day 1, we were able to see exactly how he stacked up to our NBA center database from a vertical, lateral, agility, and biomechanical perspective," P3 assistant GM Adam Hewitt said. "While there were some clear targets -- we knew that Jah could get a lot better and that he wasn't close to reaching his athletic potential."

Two months after starting with P3, Okafor has made major strides.

"He was able to really improve his lateral acceleration and agility while at P3," Hewitt said. "The one-off skater test (a lateral acceleration test) is a test we have been doing with NBA athletes for a long time now and what we have found through in-house research is that there is a strong correlation between being able to put up a lot of horizontal force and having a fast lateral agility time."

In his first assessment, Okafor's left slide agility was measured at 2.88 seconds. His right at 2.81 seconds. Two months later, he posted better times on his left (2.66 seconds) and right (2.58), ranking him in the 87th percentile compared to other NBA centers in P3's database.

Okafor also improved his standing vertical jump by 2.5 inches and his maximum vertical by 4 inches. And Hewitt thinks he'll continue to get better. These sorts of issues aren't fixed in a couple of months.

I think Kobe would probably drive Boogie to finally kill a man.  Possibly Kobe himself.  What Cousins needs more than anything, is a coach that knows how to get the most out of him.  I thought George Karl could be that guy.  I mean, he had McGee looking like a legit ball player for a minute there.

I think Karl could still be that guy. They just need to nail it in this draft getting either a PG or PF. There is good value in the bottom half of the first round at PG. Usually someone willing to sell a pick. I doubt Porzingis falls to them.

Porzingis measurements.

7'1.25" no shoes, 7'6" wing span. 230 lbs. 

Dario Saric has informed the Sixers he will be staying in Turkey this year. I think this season is the last he would have had to be bought out to play in the NBA, so it probably makes some financial sense for the Sixers not to care that much. Although it's got to be frustrating for Sixers fans to start another season without either of their first round picks from last year playing a minute of NBA basketball thus far.  

I don't like the knocks on Okafor's defense. I mean, I understand it, but at the same time he's only 19. At 6-11, 270 with a 7-5 wingspan, he's got all the tools athletically and size-wise to be a very good defender, he just hasn't done it yet for whatever reason. I'm guessing desire more than anything.

I don't like the knocks on Okafor's defense. I mean, I understand it, but at the same time he's only 19. At 6-11, 270 with a 7-5 wingspan, he's got all the tools athletically and size-wise to be a very good defender, he just hasn't done it yet for whatever reason. I'm guessing desire more than anything.

Sure, but as much as people say things like "you can't teach height/speed/wingspan", you also really can't teach desire. There aren't too many guys who show complete disinterest on defense in college that suddenly go "You know now that I'm being paid millions of dollars, it's time I try hard and play good defense". I'm not saying it never happens, and I'm not saying Okafor won't put it together. I am saying that the odds are not in his favor.