DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R2: FINN BALOR vs. DEAN AMBROSE

RIPPA

FINN BALOR vs. DEAN AMBROSE  

128 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Damn these brackets. Going by consistency, I'd have to say Ambrose. Going by peak performance, I've got to stand by Finn Balor. Best year? Ambrose has been booked stupidly, Finn has been booked like a star. Gotta go with Finn.

Part of me wants to abstain because I'm huge fans of both.  Hard to choose between the two.  But then part of me wants to wait until Friday to vote.

I think this calls for more evidence before I can decide.  Pros, cons, examples, Piranesi posts, whatever is needed.  But I'm holding off for now.

Did this Finn Whosit guy invent his own cuisine?

From Dean Ambrose section of Goop.com

Hey guys!

I know I haven't been updating a lot this last week, but I've been cleaning cinder block dust out of most of my pores [hint: a squeeze of tomato juice mixed with WD40 helps wake those pores up!]

But here's my promised followup to my "famous" briefcase stew!  I call it "Backpack casserole"

1) place a half-eaten hot dog in a backpack
2) add one of those whole fish skeletons that Heathcliff always has

3) Scrape in some "cheese leavings" from a box of White Castle cheese fries
4) dump in some Mellow Yellow someone spilled in the cupholder of your car
5) zip up backpack and shake up

6) Hold a lighter under it for five minutes
7) This will keep through Thursday.  If anyone talks to you before then, they are pretty obviously trying to steal your food and you need to headbutt them and run.

Check back in later next week for my list of which cities have the tastiest hot-dog stand water and which soup kitchens have a Bullsh*t "no filling your water pistols with soup, it's for eating" policy, like "Hey everyone I'm a priest with food or something so I can destroy freedom of soup-gun speech"{grumble}!!!

• Like 3

I loved everything from face Ambrose until the ECW tribute gimmick. He had two great performances in the Shield/Wyatts matches from the EC rematch and the match in April from the Main Event, had the Evolution matches, a couple good matches dropping the US belt to Sheamus. a really good match with Bray on Smackdown, an excellent match with Del Rio, a good mini feud with Cesaro, the terrific fan cam tag match with Cena vs Rusev and Harper, and the Rollins feud which single handedly kept me watching WWE over the Summer.

Plus Ambrose is a million times better at non wrestling stuff. Easy pick here

Shit I forgot the great MITB match this is a blowout for Ambrose.

• Like 1

If Piranisi poisoned the well for Ambrose, I will be highly annoyed.

I was just to about to post "god dammit - piranisi is going to get me to vote for fucking Devitt"

RIPPA, on 11 Mar 2015 - 12:21 PM, said:

Matt D, on 11 Mar 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

If Piranisi poisoned the well for Ambrose, I will be highly annoyed.

I was just to about to post "god dammit - piranisi is going to get me to vote for fucking Devitt"

I'm trying here guys.

I thought Dean really looked like he belonged in there with Cena when he cut the don't take food off my plate promo. Balor looks like a guy that doesn't know whether to shit or wind his watch during promos.

Neither of these guys had a particularly good year, but Ambrose has the Shield/Evolution tags and is also better in general than Balor. 

On the contrary, I thought they both had a pretty good year.  Finn's being pushed as a star in NXT and had some high quality matches.  Dean was killing it in the Shield and started off great in his singles run.  And he's also been a consistently good to great performer.  What hinders Dean is the booking from the Wyatt feud onward, but Finn has been booked pretty well so far.  Toss in his run in Bullet Club and he has a helluva case for him.

I think it's just going to come down to personal preference.  I like Dean but love Finn's gimmick.  Then again, that doesn't quite work for some on here.  I'll be fine whoever wins, but which one would match up better in the later rounds?

Damn these brackets. Going by consistency, I'd have to say Ambrose. Going by peak performance, I've got to stand by Finn Balor. Best year? Ambrose has been booked stupidly, Finn has been booked like a star. Gotta go with Finn.

I'm not sure I buy that Balor had the better peak performance. What's Balor's best during this period? The match against Neville? I would take the Shield six man over that in a heart beat. I agree Finn has been booked well while Ambrose has been booked in a way to inspire Piranesi, but Ambrose has stayed over despite jobbing to a TV and a hologram. I think that works in his favor. 

Ambrose was the best face-in-peril for the first half of the voting period.  He is the best tag worker in the WWE, and once this Reigns as top guy stuff fails, I wouldn't mind a lengthy Ambrose/Reigns tag title run. 

That's worth my vote, but it might take more if we replay this matchup in 2016.

The WWE has done everything in their power to strip away the elements of Ambrose's character that were unique and exciting, and I think his work has suffered for this too (to say nothing of his promos).  That said, he's not a change channel guy for me, and he had plenty of matches/performances in the time period I loved, so Balor has no chance with me.  Honestly there are a  whole lot of people both in and out of this tournament I'd vote over Balor, but I did want to note the sad decline of Ambrose. 

Finn doesn't have the worst move in wrestling today (Rebound Lariat). Until Ambrose takes that stupid move out of his moveset I am not voting for Dean or watching anything he's in

I hope Dean sees this and changes the rebound lariat to a rebound overdrive purely out of spite.

DylanWaco, on 11 Mar 2015 - 2:01 PM, said:

The WWE has done everything in their power to strip away the elements of Ambrose's character that were unique and exciting, and I think his work has suffered for this too (to say nothing of his promos).  That said, he's not a change channel guy for me, and he had plenty of matches/performances in the time period I loved, so Balor has no chance with me.  Honestly there are a  whole lot of people both in and out of this tournament I'd vote over Balor, but I did want to note the sad decline of Ambrose. 

I agree and to make matters worse Dean cuts a terrific promo on the Fastlane post show that not many people will see because it wasn't written by 20 monkeys, and approved by a deranged old man.

I'm leaning Dean because of the Shield/Evolution tags and the Rollins feud.  I've been watching Balor's NXT stuff and I just don't see what others seem to like about the guy.  He's got a good look and is a great technician but he kinda feels like a Create-A-Wrestler at times.