DVDVR Message Board

[MM15] R2: FINN BALOR vs. DEAN AMBROSE

RIPPA

FINN BALOR vs. DEAN AMBROSE  

128 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I guess I'm not a big picture guy when it comes to my votes.  I'm always remembering one tiny aspect, or something seemingly insignificant, from any given wrestler's past twelve months.  In this case, it was Dean's work-of-art reaction when Rollins gave Reigns the chairshot.  One of the best responses to a heel turn I've ever seen, ranks right up there with the Sportatorium fans going nuts when Chris Adams superkicked Kevin Von Erich.  His actions and reactions make Dean Ambrose tough to beat.

There was a time during this year when Dean Ambrose looked like he was the next big babyface, which is pretty impressive. 

The fact that he went from there to where he is now, is less than pretty impressive, but I still voted Dean.  

Dean Ambrose had a fun lumberjack match. That, to me, is amazing.

This is true, but on the other hand they did it by completely ignoring what a lumberjack match is supposed to be and doing an attitude era style walk and brawl

Just voted for Balor, only to see he was down by 48 points.  Fuck.

Is it possible that he's in the same boat as Itami?  He does need to establish a few more things, so I'm hoping by next year he fares a lot better in this tournament.  The main difference between him and Itami right now is Finn has more people talking about him due to his look and entrance.  The in-ring stuff is great, but maybe that could be worked on more to make it as impressive as his entrance.  The normal/Demon versions definitely need to show in his matches.

JR:

I try not to compare singles matches with tag-team matches, but I'll grant that the Shield 6-man was awesome. However, you have to credit five other guys for doing their bit. As to the horrible booking of Ambrose that you say works in his favor... Well, I'm a big Dean Ambrose fan but in the last six months or so the stuff they've had him doing was so bad that I stopped paying attention. That's a huge negative in my book, as you really have to be screwing the pooch booking-wise to get me to stop paying attention to one of my favorite workers. Hell, I think I have to go all the way back to Kung-fu Billy Graham or post-jail Ken Patera to find someone who I enjoyed get misused so badly.

Damn these brackets. Going by consistency, I'd have to say Ambrose. Going by peak performance, I've got to stand by Finn Balor. Best year? Ambrose has been booked stupidly, Finn has been booked like a star. Gotta go with Finn.

I'm not sure I buy that Balor had the better peak performance. What's Balor's best during this period? The match against Neville? I would take the Shield six man over that in a heart beat. I agree Finn has been booked well while Ambrose has been booked in a way to inspire Piranesi, but Ambrose has stayed over despite jobbing to a TV and a hologram. I think that works in his favor. 

Can we somehow book this result with the outcome that Ambrose slips on a banana peel unplugs a TV which then explodes in his face and is out of the tournament?

How many times do I have to explain that any time Dean sees something with a chord attached he pulls on it hoping to finally get to the end of that whole "The cow says what?" cliffhanger.

It's especially disconcerting whenever he's in a hospital, which is a lot. 

[beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...]

"Oh My God, get security.  CODE BLUE STAT!!!"

"WHAT DOES THE COW SAY, DAMN YOU!!! WHAAAAAAAT!!!???"

Dean Ambrose had a fun lumberjack match. That, to me, is amazing.

This is true, but on the other hand they did it by completely ignoring what a lumberjack match is supposed to be and doing an attitude era style walk and brawl

Well yeah, but who wants to watch an actual lumberjack match? Those things are terrible.

• Like 1

Well yeah, but who wants to watch an actual lumberjack match? Those things are terrible.

Then why *have* one? Fuck that match.

Then why *have* one? Fuck that match.

Maybe they wanted to do a street fight, but thought that framing it as a lumberjack match that gets way out of control is more creative than simply booking it as a street fight?

Maybe they wanted to do a street fight, but thought that framing it as a lumberjack match that gets way out of control is more creative than simply booking it as a street fight?

How very Russo. They "creatively" came up with a stipulation that they could ignore, and made 20 wrestlers look like morons in the process.

Dean is maybe the most overrated dude left in the tournament. Not because I don't love him. I love me some Dean but his singles run has been crap and not just the booking. His matches have all been very forgettable and his selling has been either bad or nonexistent.

• Like 1

Dean is maybe the most overrated dude left in the tournament. Not because I don't love him. I love me some Dean but his singles run has been crap and not just the booking. His matches have all been very forgettable and his selling has been either bad or nonexistent.

I disagree. Ziggler is still kicking it. At least Dean has a character. But Dean's character is very much in the 'very stupid or very cool' land. I find it unbearable tho