DVDVR Message Board

JULY WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Getting NXT has been worth it for me. 

NXT, gradually getting EVERY RAW ever, SNME, EVERY FUCKING PPV AND CLASH.  That is worth more than $10 to any wrestling fan.  There are two chief complaints I hear, the "current product" issue mentioned about, and their are people that seem to think that every second of footage they own should be up there.  The second one is just the most absurd thing ever.  The current product complaint is horseshit too, because I don't watch shit right now, beyond catching a match or two on the ppvs as background noise.

If they ever live stream Raw and Smackdown, which I doubt they will since it would eat into their advertising revenue and require even more bandwidth, then I'll sign up for it.  Until then I just haven't gotten to the point where it's something I really want.  I definitely see the appeal though and think it's a great product.  While I realize the stereotype of wrestling fans as being a bunch of uneducated rubes, in this case I think actually are a lot of fans out there either don't have internet access or aren't computer savvy enough to sign up for it.

The point you make is correct, the network is well worth the $10 even with the flaws (the player is horrendous). That being said, to make it a financial win, they need to attract everyone currently paying for WWE (which was 1 million for 'Mania in 2013 with the Rock or 300-400,000 for the off brand PPVs). If the current product is shitty, you aren't attracting new subscribers or bringing back the old ones with something hot. There is a shrinking audience and the median income for wrestling fans is less than most other sports. In other words, this is going to be a tough go.

WWE's biggest issue IS the fact that their audience tends to be uneducated. We're the exception but the average wrestling fan isn't that bright.

I honestly think it's that they have a significant number of rural fans that have limited or no access to high-speed internet as the major factor over all others. As a city-dweller, it takes having to take a trip to a small Midwestern or Southern town to realize how terrible their options are for fast enough internet speed to stream the Network at a watchable level. 

WWE's biggest issue IS the fact that their audience tends to be uneducated. We're the exception but the average wrestling fan isn't that bright.

I honestly think it's that they have a significant number of rural fans that have limited or no access to high-speed internet as the major factor over all others. As a city-dweller, it takes having to take a trip to a small Midwestern or Southern town to realize how terrible their options are for fast enough internet speed to stream the Network at a watchable level. 

That is a big issue.  Also, older fans aren't bothering with the new fangled technology.  Same with more......"southern" fans.  That is going based on my own personal experience.

Does anyone else think that part of the reason subscriptions are lower than anticipated is because the die hard fans now scale younger than previous generations? I'm not a parent, but I don't think I would buy the Network so my 8 year old can watch Stone Cold drink beer on his iPad. Frankly, I think the base that buys the majority of merchandise (or gets their parents to buy it) might not even care about most of what's on the network. If it doesn't have John Cena, chances are it doesn't appeal to them. Slam City is awesome, but probably not $10 a month awesome.

Does anyone else think that part of the reason subscriptions are lower than anticipated is because the die hard fans now scale younger than previous generations? I'm not a parent, but I don't think I would buy the Network so my 8 year old can watch Stone Cold drink beer on his iPad. Frankly, I think the base that buys the majority of merchandise (or gets their parents to buy it) might not even care about most of what's on the network. If it doesn't have John Cena, chances are it doesn't appeal to them. Slam City is awesome, but probably not $10 a month awesome.

But the parent my spring for that in comparison to spending $50 on a ppv.

My 6yo daughter was with me in the toy section of Wal-Mart; she walked up to one of those giant sized, 2' John Cena figures they had for sale on a floor display, out of nowhere punched it and said, "I hate John Cena."

And I mean, she punched that motherfucker in the face. Me and 2' "Man of Steel" Superman were like, "Shiiiiiit ..."

• Like 8

I don't use the Network as much as I probably should to justify the cost (although, really, if I keep watching each ppv, it's justified, right?) but just having it there at my convenience makes me happy.

• Like 1

My 6yo daughter was with me in the toy section of Wal-Mart; she walked up to one of those giant sized, 2' John Cena figures they had for sale on a floor display, out of nowhere punched it and said, "I hate John Cena."

And I mean, she punched that motherfucker in the face. Me and 2' "Man of Steel" Superman were like, "Shiiiiiit ..."

Does your kid not understand that this is it for 2' John Cena?  That this is his life?  That good, bad, or indifferent he shows up on time to the floor display at the Walmart toy section and he works his ass off because he loves what the Walmart toy section represents?  Because he has passion for the Walmart toy section?

Do you get that that 45 pound child you tote around the Walmart doesn't have passion for anything but herself?  She is small.  She is not very strong.  She is probably not a super-athlete.  But what separates her from 2' John Cena is heart.  And when the chips are down she may beat the hell out of him, but she's going to have to beat every. last. breath. OUT OF THIS BODY!!  BECAUSE 2' JOHN CENA IS WALKING INTO THAT FLOOR DISPLAY AND HE'S WALKING OUT WITH THIS SONOFABITCH!!!!! AND YOU CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK, JACK, NATE, 2' MAN OF STEEL AND EVERYONE ELSE@!!!!!

• Like 11

That is a big issue. Also, older fans aren't bothering with the new fangled technology. Same with more......"southern" fans. That is going based on my own personal experience.
Seriously, it's the truth. I work in retail and I have this one regular who comes in and gets the wwe dvd's and I've tried to encourage him to get the Network and he doesn't know how, he's asked me to help which I've said I would when he gets his wireless Internet set up and gets the Roku box. And I've had others who have had similar issues. You'd be surprised how many dont have high speed Internet and honestly doesn't want it, but wants the wwe network and doesn't understand it.

I don't use the Network as much as I probably should to justify the cost (although, really, if I keep watching each ppv, it's justified, right?) but just having it there at my convenience makes me happy.

This is me as well. 

I equate it to Netflix.  Do I watch movies or shows on it every day?  No.  But the times when I binge watch a TV show or get into a mode where I watch several movies over a few days more than make up for not using it every day.  When it comes to figuring out if something is "worth it", I have to ask myself if I enjoy it enough to keep paying a monthly fee.  The answer for both Netflix and WWE Network is yes.

Between the archived stuff already available and monthly PPVs and pre and post shows and knowing just how much is left in the library that hasn't been used yet............I can't imagine ever feeling dissatisfied with it.  I mean, we haven't even started with Nitro yet.  That alone has me feeling anticipation, and until then I keep watching old Raws and SNME, both of which haven't been out on in their entirety yet. 

Some nights if I'm bored I'll text a buddy of mine and say "Pick a random event" and then I watch whatever he comes up with, just to watch a random show without choosing it for myself......like putting the PPV archive on random.  And it's either good or bad, but it's there at my disposal. 

At work a couple days ago I had some downtime so I pulled up the network and decided I was going to just watch whatever was showing on the schedule at the time.  It ended up being a Raw from 1995, and I was treated to a killer British Bulldog vs. Owen Hart King of the Ring qualifier that went to a 15 minute time limit draw.  All that at my disposal AND monthly PPVs AND original programming AND NXT more content to come? 

Yep, renew my subscription.