DVDVR Message Board

April 2014 Football Thread

The Natural

OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD! Am I dreaming?! Real Madrid are in the finals again! HALA MADRID! I have no words or logical thinking or anything right now, just crazy spazzing out going nuts! La Decima is possible! LA DECIMA IS POSSIBLE! HALA MADRID! HALA MADRID! HALA MADRID POR SIEMPRE! 

Isn't anyone gonna complain about Madrid "parking the bus" and playing counter-attack? Bayern had all the possession, they were the better team, right?

Dude, stop. I don't complain about counter attacking football. Chelsea weren't counter attacking, they scored because Gerrard slipped up and their forward was there. That's not a counter attack.

I couldn´t see the match because I was on a train for a few hours, but got informed by a pal. I expected Real to go through, it seemed Ancelotti had Bayern´s, maybe Guardiola´s number. I didn´t expect that scoreline, though it was even possible in the Bernabeu game with the quality of chances Real had. It is hard not to single out Bayern´s very early title win as a main reason for their trouble, since the end of March they play a different style of football than they did all season. The question is if they could flip the switch for the cup final, which - quite frankly - I hope they can´t because I always prefer having two different national champions. 

Big ups for Real, great win. If you don´t conceed against the reigning champions who scored almost every CL game over the last few years and score five against a side who hasn´t conceeded five against any side over two legs during their last three or four European campaigns, you deserve to advance. Bayern, though getting blown out, still has a great last 5 years of CL play, winning one title, reaching three finals and one semi-final. Beating them like that sure makes Real odds on favourites for the final. Which means they will definetly have trouble against whoever advances, though I´d say Chelsea are probably most uncomfortable to play.

And of course I´d like to say congrats to Spaniard, I can only imagine how happy you must be, especially since it was the third semi-final in a row. You deserve that one.

• Like 1

Isn't anyone gonna complain about Madrid "parking the bus" and playing counter-attack? Bayern had all the possession, they were the better team, right?

Dude, stop. I don't complain about counter attacking football. Chelsea weren't counter attacking, they scored because Gerrard slipped up and their forward was there. That's not a counter attack.

It's not fair! Gerrard slipped! Ba should've helped him to his feet and gave him the ball back!

• Like 2

Why I see what you aiming at, the CL games previous week might have had the same foundation to them, but there was a major difference between Chelsea´s defensive style of play and Real´s style of play.

That being said, defense winning championships is a major rule of tumb and you can´t blame a team for "parking the bus" if they have to. It´s not repulsive or bad, but it makes for boring footie. In Bayer vs Real it was apparent that Bayern´s style of play is great for keeping possession, but against Real they weren´t able to do anything else while Real had ALL the good chances. When Chelsea played the away leg against Atletico, they didn´t counter at all. I´m sure though that today´s match will see an attacking Chelsea team. They need a goal to win it as much as Atletico does.

It's not fair! Gerrard slipped! Ba should've helped him to his feet and gave him the ball back!

Har har. There is a difference between counterattacking football and waiting for your opponent to fuck up. Mou did the latter and is a shitbird for sending out such an expensive squad to play that negatively.

Yeah Mourinho's footballing "philosophy" is very negative and a bit fucked up, but if all people care about is results I guess it works.  I's just not something most people find enjoyable, especially with the attacking talent they have it's stupid to play so negatively.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2014/04/30/4785187/mourinho-anti-football-jibes-are-wide-of-the-mark

One: The game is won by the team who commits fewer errors. Two: Football favours whoever provokes more errors in the opposition. Three: Away from home, instead of trying to be superior to the opposition, it's better to encourage their mistakes. Four: Whoever has the ball is more likely to make a mistake. Five: Whoever renounces possession reduces the possibility of making a mistake. Six: Whoever has the ball has fear. Seven: Whoever does not have it is therefore stronger.

Hopefully Atleti smash them today like Madrid did to Bayern, and we can have an all Madrid final.

Also, I think it's fair to be critical of Rodgers naivety. He played right into Mourinho's hands Sunday. Mourinho needed the win, not Rodgers, yet look at how the two sides approached the match - it seemed the opposite was true. I think once it became obvious that Mourinho "parked two buses," it would have been best practice to take a step back and play more cautiously to draw them out of their shell. A point would have had us still in the driver's seat and Chelsea all but fucked for the title. I think it's a lesson well learned by Rodgers for next year. You don't have to win every game 5-0, and that's particularly true for Europe.

I don't think Rodgers is naive so much as he plays to his strengths. He has a lot of players that can play really well at a high pace. Liverpool are one of the best teams in Europe on the fast break, and they've shredded just about anyone they've touched who has allowed them that chance. Slow the pace down and they don't really have a player with the kind of footwork to break sides down in that same way.

I think he's getting the most out of what he has, and given where Liverpool were last year he's an easy manager of the year, for me.

Mourinho's style was always likely to be Liverpool's white whale this year, though.

Coutinho can break down defences as can Sterling and Suarez. Mourinho playing ridiculously deep was his way of nullifying Liverpool's strength, therefore, adjustments were needed to be made and it didn't happen. Rodgers has gotten a tonne of decisions right but that was not one of them.

crystal-palace-display_zps89beeb4a.jpg

Palace's tifo from this past Sunday is why I'm glad they stayed up. Their fans are awesome and they deserve the success they've had this year- here's hoping they get a result Monday.

• Like 1